How Long Until Contracts Start Being Discussed?

Wisebri224

I know the Sox are on a “small market” budget and say the money will be spent but how long until they start handing out some Eloy type deals to Moncada, Anderson, etc.? Seems like that brings them some cost certainty and would let them know what they can spend in free agency. I just don’t want to hear in free agency for next year they couldn’t pay up for a pitcher because they are saving pennies for 2022-2023 when all these kids need to be paid. Maybe even pay someone like Leury an all utility man contract that every good team has. Happy 4th!

Anderson was already extended and is under control through the 2024 season.

Other than making a decision on McCann (who it sound like they want to extend), the two guys they should be prioritizing are Moncada & Giolito.  Yoan will likely be a challenge to extend given his initial big payday (although we should no doubt try), but I fully expect Giolito to be locked up this coming offseason.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

I want to avoid a situation like the Cubs have with Bryant.  I like what we did with Jiminez and Anderson.  Extend them when the money still means something.

You can’t force someone to agree to an extension.  Bryant always wanted to test free agency and some of our guys may feel the same way.  Again, I’d love to extend Moncada, but he seems like a guy who will likely go year to year and test free agency when he can.

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You can’t force someone to agree to an extension.  Bryant always wanted to test free agency and some of our guys may feel the same way.  Again, I’d love to extend Moncada, but he seems like a guy who will likely go year to year and test free agency when he can.

No one said anything about forcing anyone.  When you have years down the road players think about securing their families future.  When the wait is only next year...many decide the wait will be worth it.  Sale, Q, Eaton and Anderson are all examples of players who opted early for security.  

9 minutes ago, poppysox said:

No one said anything about forcing anyone.  When you have years down the road players think about securing their families future.  When the wait is only next year...many decide the wait will be worth it.  Sale, Q, Eaton and Anderson are all examples of players who opted early for security.  

You called out the Cubs regarding Bryant and he’s a guy they would have loved extending but he was committed to testing free agency from the get go.  As for the four guys you mentioned, none of them had had $25M to $30M signing bonuses like Moncada & Robert.  That’s the challenge we face with those two in particular because they are already set for life.

The other thing is that Giolito’s from a very wealthy family.

The reality is that he’s probably already set for life...or close to it.  Whether he extends depends entirely how comfortable he is with the Sox and how much he credits them for his turnaround, relationship with Cooper/coaches, etc.  Obviously the Sox were extremely patient with Lucas in 2019 and gave him every opportunity, that should definitely count for something.

A pitcher already have one TJS in his background would lend one to believe they’re not going beyond four years with pitchers with such a profile...five has seemingly been the third rail they won’t touch.  The Danks contract going south still stings, despite the likely insurance write offs.

At any rate...

Priorities:

1) Moncada

2) McCann (an extension takes pressure of having to pursue Grandal off table...becoming more and more apparent they can’t rely too much on Collins being a catcher who gets the majority of starts.)

3) Giolito (still need another 8-10 starts like previously, some will argue all the way through mid season 2020)

4) Robert

Edited by caulfield12

I'd hope after a reasonable time to allow some of these players to show they actually can perform at a high level that things will start being discussed. They better...remember Kenny's "infamous" comment after the failed Machado derby. Along the lines of Sox fans getting upset if the team didn't have the money to sign all these guys because they gave it all to Manny.

We'll see what the Sox do in this regard and what they actually offer.

To stress with Moncada and Robert...both of them got extremely large paydays when they came to the states. $25-$30 million, WAY more than even a top first round pick gets. When a guy got $1 million or less to sign like Eloy, a $30 million guarantee is huge. When a guy like Moncada already banked $30 million, a $30 million guarantee isn't as big of a deal. A guy who got that money upon arriving should aim for the really big extension.

If Moncada keeps playing well and getting better, then in a year or two he can genuinely start talking about a $150 million or $250 million contract as the price tag for extending him. He should absolutely play a year or two, show that he can grow into an all star, and then if he's willing he can talk about a 9 figure extension.

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

To stress with Moncada and Robert...both of them got extremely large paydays when they came to the states. $25-$30 million, WAY more than even a top first round pick gets. When a guy got $1 million or less to sign like Eloy, a $30 million guarantee is huge. When a guy like Moncada already banked $30 million, a $30 million guarantee isn't as big of a deal. A guy who got that money upon arriving should aim for the really big extension.

If Moncada keeps playing well and getting better, then in a year or two he can genuinely start talking about a $150 million or $250 million contract as the price tag for extending him. He should absolutely play a year or two, show that he can grow into an all star, and then if he's willing he can talk about a 9 figure extension.

I think it's simple:  there is zero rush on anybody.  period.

Earliest you can start talking extensions for most of these guys would be next summer.

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think it's simple:  there is zero rush on anybody.  period.

Earliest you can start talking extensions for most of these guys would be next summer.

If Giolito would take one I'd probably go for that. Eventually if you do enough extensions one or two will burn you for whatever reason, but if you're regularly buying out 1-2 years of free agency for guys as soon as they show enough, you'll come out ahead in the end.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

If Giolito would take one I'd probably go for that. Eventually if you do enough extensions one or two will burn you for whatever reason, but if you're regularly buying out 1-2 years of free agency for guys as soon as they show enough, you'll come out ahead in the end.

I'd start talking about Giolito next year around this time.  I need to see him pitch about 200 innings at this new level before commiting.   In general I'm more leary of extending SP, for obvious reasons.  Let's see how his body handles his new delivery for another couple hundred innings before talking about an extension.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You called out the Cubs regarding Bryant and he’s a guy they would have loved extending but he was committed to testing free agency from the get go.  As for the four guys you mentioned, none of them had had $25M to $30M signing bonuses like Moncada & Robert.  That’s the challenge we face with those two in particular because they are already set for life.

What I would like to see is the Sox avoiding the Bryant situation.  The Cubs organization is now in a position of needing to trade Bryant rather than end up empty handed.

37 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I guess I'm doubting Giolito signs for the kind of money Reisndorf would be comfortable with. Obviously Q and Sale did.

I think Gio would be receptive to an extension, considering his early struggles.  A Gio extension is definitely more realistic than signing Cole on the free agent market, which is where I think your Reinsdorf comment would apply more.

12 hours ago, poppysox said:

Moncada and giolito both don’t have to worry about that

• Like 1