GT: Tigers (27-54) @ White Sox (41-42), July 4

soxfan49

1 minute ago, Richie said:

I mean, it's trying to save the pen. There's a lot to be gained in that.

Some days, your pitcher has to suck it up and eat up innings. Lopez new the situation going into the game, I guarantee it. 

He pitched 5 innings and we have an off-day tomorrow. Lots of teams accept the reality that some of their starters won't go particularly deep. We also had the option to hold Dylan Cease off the roster and call up another reliever if we were so strapped for pitching.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jake said:

He pitched 5 innings and we have an off-day tomorrow. Lots of teams accept the reality that some of their starters won't go particularly deep. We also had the option to hold Dylan Cease off the roster and call up another reliever if we were so strapped for pitching.

What do you mean... "he pitched 5 innings"? That certainly isn't getting the job done.

we have an off-day tomorrow

That has zero to do with the fact that our bullpen is utterly depleted today

Lots of teams accept the reality that some of their starters won't go particularly deep.

Except we didn't have the option to do that. We played two games yesterday and our bullpen had to pitch 11 innings. 

I love how the armchair Tony La Russa's in here actually believe Ricky is just sitting there watching Lopez struggling like he was and willfully not getting someone up in the bullpen for some reason. This isn't hard, the situation at hand heading into today was obvious. This type of thing happens all across the league... the starter has to go deep and eat innings. When he struggles, he winds up eating a bullet because nothing can be done. 

Not every unsightly event which happens to the White Sox is some gross miscarriage of managerial responsibilities. Not everything is an outrage. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

I would tend to agree, but leaving Lopez out to crash and burn again does nothing for anyone involved.

The bullpen has given up 2 runs . It really doesn't matter at this point.

1 minute ago, Richie said:

What do you mean... "he pitched 5 innings"? That certainly isn't getting the job done.

we have an off-day tomorrow

That has zero to do with the fact that our bullpen is utterly depleted today

Lots of teams accept the reality that some of their starters won't go particularly deep.

Except we didn't have the option to do that. We played two games yesterday and our bullpen had to pitch 11 innings. 

I love how the armchair Tony La Russa's in here actually believe Ricky is just sitting there watching Lopez struggling like he was and willfully not getting someone up in the bullpen for some reason. This isn't hard, the situation at hand heading into today was obvious. This type of thing happens all across the league... the starter has to go deep and eat innings. When he struggles, he winds up eating a bullet because nothing can be done. 

Not every unsightly event which happens to the White Sox is some gross miscarriage of managerial responsibilities. Not everything is an outrage. 

You're just wrong. We were coming off two consecutive off days before yesterday's double header. Our bullpen was rested enough to cover the final 4 innings of this game comfortably. At minimum, Minaya (obviously), Osich, Ruiz, Herrera, and Fry (who didn't pitch yesterday) were available. Fulmer could have been available if we felt we needed him but we optioned him to move Cease onto the active roster. Fry being available and completely rested is especially pertinent since after Cabrera's leadoff double, we let Lopez face 4 straight lefties/switch hitters, surrendering 3 straight doubles followed by a homer in the process.

It appears part of the problem was the temporary malfunctioning of the bullpen phones, which is the most White Sox thing of all time.

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I posted something similar a few weeks ago, but a more progressive organization would know how to tap into Reynaldo’s potential.  Unfortunately he’s completely regressed this year under Cooper.

Excellent post.

48 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s almost like scouts were right and he’s best suited for the bullpen

Dennis Eckersley was the same way.

Someone is going to wise up and realize ReyLo's potential is in relief. I would try him as a setup.

Edited by GradMc