Twins resign

The Beast

They're going to sign as many as their budget will allow, obviously, but they WILL lose players. They simply will not spend the money necessary to re-sign all of them. Koskie is a solid sign - quality 3B are hard to find.

I'd love for the Sox to grab Hawkins or Guardado - either one could close when Gordon leaves.

I'd prefer to get Hawkins for the left-right attack with Marte.

They're going to sign as many as their budget will allow, obviously, but they WILL lose players. They simply will not spend the money necessary to re-sign all of them. Koskie is a solid sign - quality 3B are hard to find.

I'd love for the Sox to grab Hawkins or Guardado - either one could close when Gordon leaves.

Either Guardado or Hawkins is basically guarenteed to leave. Hawkins will have a ton of interest. I think the Twins will keep Guardado.

Either Guardado or Hawkins is basically guarenteed to leave. Hawkins will have a ton of interest. I think the Twins will keep Guardado.

exactly. They are now starting to draw the lines of who stays and who goes in MN.

I'm wondering how many OFers leave, and then which OFers. I mean, they have Jones, Stewart, Hunter, and Mohr who could all start, and then they have Restovich, Cuddyer(though he can play quite a few positions), and Ryan waiting in the wings. That is 6 or 7 OFers that are very close to being MLB ready(however you happen to look at it). They have to get rid of atleast 1 of them, and they could very easily get rid of 2 of them. I gotta think that atleast one of Stewart, Jones, and Mohr is gone. The Sox should sign any of them that they let go immediately, especially if it is Jones or Mohr(because they can both play CF and play it fairly well). The only thing that would be bad about bringing in Mohr is the fact that he and Rowand seem to me to play similar styles of baseball. Nothing wrong with that though....get rid of one of Maggs and Lee by trade, and you can play Mohr or Rowand in CF and the other in the vacated position.

I'm also curious to see how their bullpen are going to shape up next year. They almost undoubtedly will lose one of Hawkins and Guardado, and if they lose both, their bullpen could be very interesting next year. Possibly have Rincon closing, Romero and Balfour setting up, and from there on out, I am clueless.

It will be fun to see not only what the White Sox do but also what the Royals and Twins do too. Also....do not forget about the Indians. They could easily add 2 or 3 key players and win 85-90 games next year. They seem to be very close to being a competitive team again.

I'm wondering how many OFers leave, and then which OFers.  I mean, they have Jones, Stewart, Hunter, and Mohr who could all start, and then they have Restovich, Cuddyer(though he can play quite a few positions), and Ryan waiting in the wings.  That is 6 or 7 OFers that are very close to being MLB ready(however you happen to look at it).  They have to get rid of atleast 1 of them, and they could very easily get rid of 2 of them.  I gotta think that atleast one of Stewart, Jones, and Mohr is gone.  The Sox should sign any of them that they let go immediately, especially if it is Jones or Mohr(because they can both play CF and play it fairly well).  The only thing that would be bad about bringing in Mohr is the fact that he and Rowand seem to me to play similar styles of baseball.  Nothing wrong with that though....get rid of one of Maggs and Lee by trade, and you can play Mohr or Rowand in CF and the other in the vacated position. 

I'm also curious to see how their bullpen are going to shape up next year.  They almost undoubtedly will lose one of Hawkins and Guardado, and if they lose both, their bullpen could be very interesting next year.  Possibly have Rincon closing, Romero and Balfour setting up, and from there on out, I am clueless. 

It will be fun to see not only what the White Sox do but also what the Royals and Twins do too.  Also....do not forget about the Indians.  They could easily add 2 or 3 key players and win 85-90 games next year.  They seem to be very close to being a competitive team again.

Stewart will be gone for sure and Jones COULD be gone.

I think they'll keep the cheapest options for the corner spots to complement Hunter.

Phil Rogers, or atleast I think it was him said the Yankees are gonna make a strong push for Hawkins.

I think that's the first thing they teach in Baseball Journalism 101:

"Whenever you do a story about a free agent, say that the Yankees are going to make a strong push for him. You will never appear to be wrong, or to NOT know what you're talking about."

:D

Hawkins bombed in the closer role. He is very good and very comfortable as a set up man.

Sox don't need castoffs from the Twins. We can't afford them either. Plus, we are overcrowded as it is. Maggs, Lee, Everett, Rowand, and we Have to give Jeremy Reed a chance to start. No room at DH with our twin slowpokes, Frankie and Paulie.

Lots of people on this board like Ev and Robbie, but if we offer $7 + MM to Carl, we are fools, and if we don't, he is gone. Robbie is washed up, and every other team knows it. Harris should start at second, even if he didn't hit well his first month with the Sox last Spring. The kid can play. And he's cheap. Give me a four man outfield of Maggs, Lee, Reed, and Rowand. At least there is a center fielder in there. Trade one of the slowpokes, if at all possible. Concentrate on pitching and a manager who can have the team ready to compete on April 1st. Then, in two years we can all watch Ring, Rupe, and Bittner have successful beginnings to their big league careers. Webster a year later.

Then, in two years we can all watch Ring, Rupe, and Bittner have successful beginnings to their big league careers.  Webster a year later.

In case you missed it, Webster was sent to Texas as part of the Carl Everett deal.

:bang :bang :bang

" Sox don't need castoffs from the Twins. We can't afford them either. Plus, we are overcrowded as it is. Maggs, Lee, Everett, Rowand, and we Have to give Jeremy Reed a chance to start. No room at DH with our twin slowpokes, Frankie and Paulie."

I would love to see Stewart in a Sox uniform if you can get him for under 6M/yr. Jones is also a very solid outfielder, and I love the way that the ball jumps off his bat(I just wish he would walk more). You make it sound like ex-Twins players aren't any good, but these are the type of hard working players that have lead the Twins to 2 straight division titles.

The Sox outfield, DH, and 1B is anything but set in stone. Maggs making 14M/yr or about 25% of the total payroll next year might be on the trade market. Lee will probable get a nice increase through arbitration and might be the easiest to trade of the bunch. Everett is a FA, and is as good as gone. Rowand will probably be starting in CF. Reed will probably start in AAA to get a little more seasoning. Thomas will probable walk if he wants his 8M/yr option. Rumor has it that KW is really trying to shop Konerko. So as you can see the Sox outfield, DH, 1B is anything but set in stone or overcrowded for that matter. If the Sox move 1 or 2 of these guys, than they will need to find a couple of cheaper replacements and Jones/Stewart could be an option.