A fair and balanced soliloquy about Jose Abreu, by ron

ron883

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 24, 2016 -> 07:14 AM)
It probably makes as much sense as thinking the White Sox can just magically pull strings with the US and Cuban governments to reunite him with his family...and that doing so will cure him of his slump.

WHo said anything about getting the government involved?

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 12:14 AM)
Hate to say it, but I told you all so. I don't want him to fail, I could just tell by how poorly he looked. Abreu has been pure trash this year.

You didn't tell us s***. There is still 4 months left in the season. And it's pretty clear you're hoping he fails. Just keep on trolling.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 12:14 AM)
Hate to say it, but I told you all so. I don't want him to fail, I could just tell by how poorly he looked. Abreu has been pure trash this year.

Yeah sure, you "hate to say it". No one's buying what you're selling, troll. The only thing that's trash here is your posting.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
League has adjusted to him no denying that.

Looking at his batted ball stats, literally every stat is trending down since 2014. He pulls the ball nearly 7% less, his soft contact rate is 6% higher and his HR/FB rate is almost 17% lower. He just doesn't have any bat speed these days.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
Looking at his batted ball stats, literally every stat is trending down since 2014. He pulls the ball nearly 7% less, his soft contact rate is 6% higher and his HR/FB rate is almost 17% lower. He just doesn't have any bat speed these days.

Well he must be done, his first two seasons mean nothing and he should be traded. Good players clearly do not have bad months or even bad seasons

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)

His exit velocity on line drives and flyballs is down 1 MPH from last year but is still well above league average (93 mph), and he's 5th in the league in average flyball distance, I don't think bat speed is the issue.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 07:50 PM)
His exit velocity on line drives and flyballs is down 1 MPH from last year but is still well above league average (93 mph), and he's 5th in the league in average flyball distance, I don't think bat speed is the issue.

That's good to hear as well. Is it just his approach is flawed and he's not trying to pull the ball enough?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)
That's good to hear as well. Is it just his approach is flawed and he's not trying to pull the ball enough?

From what my eyes have seen, he's just swinging at a lot more crap, most likely because he's pressing quite a bit from getting into an early funk. I think his issues are entirely mental right now. I have seen him turn on some good fastballs and he's hit plenty of balls hard...he's just getting himself out. Toughest thing about baseball is you fail a lot more than you succeed and it can be easy for guys to press, etc. Jose has to get back to the basics and could probably benefit significantly from some time off. He'll get things figured out.

We have seen him make adjustments and succeed after slumps before. He looks the worst he's every looked and even with a hot finish will probably end the year with the worst numbers of his career, which will make ron happy, but I'm not shoveling dirt on him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)

I definitely think the approach is the issue. I don't think it's a coincidence that his best stretch of the season (last week of April through the first week of May) he was swinging at 76% of strikes. Outside of that stretch he's swung at 63% of strikes and has struggled accordingly. Seeing a lot more inside fastballs is also a big issue, but I think the not swinging at strikes thing is definitely the biggest. In 2014 he swung at even more junk than he does now, but he also swung at nearly every pitch in the zone. He needs to go back to doing that. The increase in soft-hit% that you're seeing is mostly coming from him hitting weaker grounders than the last couple years, but I think that's caused him to lose maybe about 4-5 singles, so I don't think it's a big difference-maker.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 03:34 PM)
It is now June 1st and Gordon Beckham has a higher OPS than Abreu. Looking more and more like Abreu just isn't going to hit this year for whatever reason.

Gordon Beckham is also not a statistically qualified hitter due to his 92 at-bats, but sure, keep attempting to fear-monger.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)
Interesting comment coming from the resident chicken little

Yeah I say so much that is different from other posters... okay.

So you think "he sucks lets trade him" passive aggressive post is mature and well balanced?

Okay boss.

Edited by harkness

QUOTE (harkness @ Jun 1, 2016 -> 07:40 PM)
Yeah I say so much that is different from other posters... okay.

So you think "he sucks lets trade him" passive aggressive post is mature and well balanced?

Okay boss.

??

Flipping through the channels last night and saw an interesting piece on Jose. Apparently he saw the most fastballs Wednesday against the Mets than in any other game in his career.

According to the story he was late on every single one. They showed in slo-motion and stopped the video to prove their point. Even his sac fly they said he was late.

They can't explain why suddenly he's behind on fast balls and said he may have to start 'cheating' getting his swing begun earlier to get around on them.

The problem with that they said was that pitchers then will start throwing him sliders and he'll be out in front.

They said the Sox should be very concerned about this.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 2, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
Flipping through the channels last night and saw an interesting piece on Jose. Apparently he saw the most fastballs Wednesday against the Mets than in any other game in his career.

According to the story he was late on every single one. They showed in slo-motion and stopped the video to prove their point. Even his sac fly they said he was late.

They can't explain why suddenly he's behind on fast balls and said he may have to start 'cheating' getting his swing begun earlier to get around on them.

The problem with that they said was that pitchers then will start throwing him sliders and he'll be out in front.

They said the Sox should be very concerned about this.

Mark

Sounds like a timing mechanism thing to me. Maybe weight transfer is off or whatever timing mechanism he used in the past is off. They've probably already looked at video but something needs to be discovered . Really need to go over the videos from the past comarped to now and check every little thing.