Bullpen

reiks12

I think the pen is mostly set.  Maybe 1 signing, but not really room for much else.  

Colome, Bummer, Fry, Herrera, Marshall, and Cordero are all mostly set.  Hamilton, Burdi, Foster, Gurrerro, Ruiz, and Fulmer and battling for the last spot.  

I think Sox expect Hamilton and Burdi to be in the pen for most of the season.   

Also worth noting that Fulmer, Cordero, and Guerrero are all out of options.  

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think the pen is mostly set.  Maybe 1 signing, but not really room for much else.  

Colome, Bummer, Fry, Herrera, Marshall, and Cordero are all mostly set.  Hamilton, Burdi, Foster, Gurrerro, Ruiz, and Fulmer and battling for the last spot.  

I think Sox expect Hamilton and Burdi to be in the pen for most of the season.   

Also worth noting that Fulmer, Cordero, and Guerrero are all out of options.  

it feels pretty average to me, and who knows how Colome is going to do this year.

1 minute ago, reiks12 said:

it feels pretty average to me, and who knows how Colome is going to do this year.

Yah, its certainly not exciting, but at least have some young arms that could turn into something.  Frankly the FA market for pen arms is disgustingly bad, so for better or worse, I think the Sox basically plan to stick with internal options.  

1 hour ago, cjgalloway said:

I want 1 maybe even two signings.  If we are slimping out on the starting pitching market (which we are)... Let's at least create a really good bullpen.  Let's sign Betances and Harris.  

Agreed. Try and create a strong bullpen since outside of Giolito we don't have anyone that we can currently say "I am confident they are going 6 innings".  I think Cease, Kopech and Lopez will get there (I may be the only person that thinks Lopez will take a big step forward this year) but as of right now we need a few more pen pieces.

22 minutes ago, Capital G said:

Agreed. Try and create a strong bullpen since outside of Giolito we don't have anyone that we can currently say "I am confident they are going 6 innings".  I think Cease, Kopech and Lopez will get there (I may be the only person that thinks Lopez will take a big step forward this year) but as of right now we need a few more pen pieces.

A strong BP can carry us a long way.  Betances and Harris would be great additions.  With our lineup we won't be out of many games.

I may be in the minority here, but I don't think we should be spending on RP's just yet. The 2021 RP free agency market has a number of RP's such as Britton, Robertson, Colome, Herrera, Files, Hand, Yates, Green, and etc.  Because it doesn't seem that our FO is all in on winning this year and RP's being so volatile, I don't think the Sox should invest much this year.

What I think they should do is sign Alex Wood to a 3 year deal. With his history as a long reliever with the Dodgers, he would be a great long reliever out of the pen next year when our rotation is more established.