**Water-Cooler Thread (TV stuff)**

Brian

28 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Watching “Manhunt” on Apple. It’s about JWB killing Lincoln and the hunt for him after he ran from thw theater. Really good-except Patton Oswalt is seemingly plopped into the 1860s from modern day. He doesn’t even try to seem like he’s from that period.

That is next on my list while I have free Apple TV. Been watching slow horses - love it. 

I was kind of let down by the end of Shogun. Knowing how the battle happened in real life, I was disappointed with the changes even though I know it’s only loosely based on the actual history. A lack of action also sucked, although I expected little action due to TV constraints.

On 4/24/2024 at 11:15 AM, Milkman delivers said:

I was kind of let down by the end of Shogun. Knowing how the battle happened in real life, I was disappointed with the changes even though I know it’s only loosely based on the actual history. A lack of action also sucked, although I expected little action due to TV constraints.

Critics seem to love the fact that they did the unexpected...

Made the focus be firmly placed on all those individual characters, and the ultimate sacrifice the previous episode tipping the political tug of war to Toranaga's site with almost no blood being shed (the very opposite of the samurai/warlord mentality about honor coming from the battlefield).

The cinematography alone was amazing.

And leaving lots of little clues about our main character without even telling you whether he eventually ended up in England or stayed in Japan for the remainder of his life, very faithful to the spirit of the Clavel novel if not the actual execution.

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Critics seem to love the fact that they did the unexpected...

Made the focus be firmly placed on all those individual characters, and the ultimate sacrifice the previous episode tipping the political tug of war to Toranaga's site with almost no blood being shed (the very opposite of the samurai/warlord mentality about honor coming from the battlefield).

The cinematography alone was amazing.

And leaving lots of little clues about our main character without even telling you whether he eventually ended up in England or stayed in Japan for the remainder of his life, very faithful to the spirit of the Clavel novel if not the actual execution.

Not sure what you mean. He was clearly back in England as an old man.

On 4/17/2024 at 9:31 PM, Middle Buffalo said:

Watching “Manhunt” on Apple. It’s about JWB killing Lincoln and the hunt for him after he ran from thw theater. Really good-except Patton Oswalt is seemingly plopped into the 1860s from modern day. He doesn’t even try to seem like he’s from that period.

This was a great series.  The guys who played Booth and Stanton were outstanding.

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This was a great series.  The guys who played Booth and Stanton were outstanding.

I’ll have to give this a watch at some point. Tobias Menzies (Stanton) is a solid actor, but most people wouldn’t know his name. He’s good in everything I’ve ever seen him in.

If you haven’t seen it, I’d suggest the first season of The Terror. It’s an anthology type of show, so the season is a standalone. Really cool premise.

Just to throw in some names to this thread of things I have caught over the last year or so, and maybe revive it, since we are all watching more regular stuff and less baseball...

-End of Us was solid.  Not as great as some of the type, but I did enjoy the story telling and the lead characters.  I get it is end of the world stuff, but the Zombie scenes really take away from it.  Like a 4 out of 5 for me.

-The Crown was spectacular.  I love how it effortlessly moved between the various eras.  I think if I could have gotten more from it, I wasn't thrilled with where and how they ended it.  Almost all of the casting was perfect, though Michael Hall as JFK was laughably bad.

-Ted Lasso.  Finally got AppleTV on a preview so binging what is on here, and Just into season 3, and this one lives up to the hype.  While the main characters are great, it is the side characters that do it for me.

-Franklin on AppleTV has also been really good.  Can't wait to see how they end it.  Very authentic feeling.  Honestly it reminds me a lot of what the early dramas on history channel were like, but now they are so watered down and generic they aren't that good.

-Star Wars series on Dis+-  Caught up on Bad Batch, and now binging Clone Wars.  These are great additions to the movies.  Love them.

-Brookyln 99- Definitely fund and mindless entertainment

-Peaky Blinders- Spectacular series.  Great characters, and storytelling.  Worthy of a Godfather type storytelling comp.

-House of Cards was pretty disappointing.  Had its moments, but went too far to be edgy and it just didn't feel very realistic most of the time.

-Cunk on Earth was one of the funniest takes on history I have seen.  Granted it is absurd and you can't watch it with any semblance of serious, but it is worth a watch.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I’ll have to give this a watch at some point. Tobias Menzies (Stanton) is a solid actor, but most people wouldn’t know his name. He’s good in everything I’ve ever seen him in.

If you haven’t seen it, I’d suggest the first season of The Terror. It’s an anthology type of show, so the season is a standalone. Really cool premise.

I literally have no idea what his real name, but I know I have seen him in bit parts in a million different things all at the same time.  It reminds me of Paul Giamatti until he hit it big with Billions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Just to throw in some names to this thread of things I have caught over the last year or so, and maybe revive it, since we are all watching more regular stuff and less baseball...

-End of Us was solid.  Not as great as some of the type, but I did enjoy the story telling and the lead characters.  I get it is end of the world stuff, but the Zombie scenes really take away from it.  Like a 4 out of 5 for me.

-The Crown was spectacular.  I love how it effortlessly moved between the various eras.  I think if I could have gotten more from it, I wasn't thrilled with where and how they ended it.  Almost all of the casting was perfect, though Michael Hall as JFK was laughably bad.

-Ted Lasso.  Finally got AppleTV on a preview so binging what is on here, and Just into season 3, and this one lives up to the hype.  While the main characters are great, it is the side characters that do it for me.

-Franklin on AppleTV has also been really good.  Can't wait to see how they end it.  Very authentic feeling.  Honestly it reminds me a lot of what the early dramas on history channel were like, but now they are so watered down and generic they aren't that good.

-Star Wars series on Dis+-  Caught up on Bad Batch, and now binging Clone Wars.  These are great additions to the movies.  Love them.

-Brookyln 99- Definitely fund and mindless entertainment

-Peaky Blinders- Spectacular series.  Great characters, and storytelling.  Worthy of a Godfather type storytelling comp.

-House of Cards was pretty disappointing.  Had its moments, but went too far to be edgy and it just didn't feel very realistic most of the time.

-Cunk on Earth was one of the funniest takes on history I have seen.  Granted it is absurd and you can't watch it with any semblance of serious, but it is worth a watch.

If you're watching AppleTV, check out Shrinking and Severance. 

On 5/2/2024 at 10:22 AM, southsider2k5 said:

I literally have no idea what his real name, but I know I have seen him in bit parts in a million different things all at the same time.  It reminds me of Paul Giamatti until he hit it big with Billions.

Speaking of Billions, solid last season, the show really lost a ton when Bobby Axelrod left, so it was great to have him back.  I though the ending was a little too clean and happy, and very problematic, but not enough to ruin the whole series for me.  Great show, worth a binge.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 1/25/2024 at 2:53 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

Has anyone seen the show called "From"? I saw great things about it this summer. It's unfortunately on MGM+ which I am currently using a free week of to watch it.

I’ve watched it and will watch the next (third) season when it comes out this fall.  Good show if you like sci-fi horror.  They seem to be drawing it out a bit though.  At this point I just want to know what the truth is with all the crazy things happening.

On 4/17/2024 at 9:27 PM, Middle Buffalo said:

Curb finale was bad. Not sure why LD would think basically repeating the Seinfeld finale was a good idea. Not sure which was worse. 

Agreed.  The last episode was the least funny.

On 4/17/2024 at 9:31 PM, Middle Buffalo said:

Haha, you nailed it.  I was wondering what was so weird about him being in it.  It was basically modern day Patton Oswalt not even acting, just being himself.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

On 4/23/2024 at 10:15 PM, Milkman delivers said:

Agreed, the ending was truly a bit disappointing but the entire series as a whole was the best show I’ve seen in awhile.  It should win some sort of award or several.  The cinematography was insane.

On 5/2/2024 at 10:21 AM, southsider2k5 said:

Agreed.  I never watched it during its original run but binged it recently on Netflix and it is one of my favorite series of all time.  Netflix just announced that they are doing a Peaky Blinders film with Cillian Murphy returning…