Taxi squad, service time and the top prospects

Dominikk85

Of course we don't know if there will be a season but assuming there is there are proposals to make a 20 game taxi squad apart from the roster who can come up and down any time without 40 man moves.

That is a good situation because of potential double headers and less off days and would be good for the Sox advanced prospects but how would that affect service time, especially vaughn, madrigal, kopech and cease?

Would bringing those guys up in the taxi squad start the clock on them? 

Vaughn is an especially curious case as he hasn't played above high A ball but he likely would only need another 250-300 PAs in AA to be ready. Usually you would just give him those ABs but with likely no or only a late milb season do you put him on the taxi squad and start his clock or sit him on his ass and waste a year of development (except maybe some complex training and a fall league) but get an extra year of service?

And what about the other 3 guys who are basically ready but could be gamed for extra service time?

Robert is the only one were this is no issue due to the contract extension.

3 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Of course we don't know if there will be a season but assuming there is there are proposals to make a 20 game taxi squad apart from the roster who can come up and down any time without 40 man moves.

That is a good situation because of potential double headers and less off days and would be good for the Sox advanced prospects but how would that affect service time, especially vaughn, madrigal, kopech and cease?

Would bringing those guys up in the taxi squad start the clock on them? 

Vaughn is an especially curious case as he hasn't played above high A ball but he likely would only need another 250-300 PAs in AA to be ready. Usually you would just give him those ABs but with likely no or only a late milb season do you put him on the taxi squad and start his clock or sit him on his ass and waste a year of development (except maybe some complex training and a fall league) but get an extra year of service?

And what about the other 3 guys who are basically ready but could be gamed for extra service time?

Robert is the only one were this is no issue due to the contract extension.

Vaughn will probably play in the expanded AFL to save his service time and to get him ready for 2021.

My understanding is that under the March agreement Kopech will accrue service time no matter what now so theres no benefit keeping him off the team. So I expect him to be in the rotation.

Madrigal is an interesting issue. I'm assuming in the upcoming agreement if he is used for any part of the season he will accrue a full year so they are gonna have to bite the bullet there since we are trying to win with the whole expanded playoffs. 

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Vaughn will probably play in the expanded AFL to save his service time and to get him ready for 2021.

My understanding is that under the March agreement Kopech will accrue service time no matter what now so theres no benefit keeping him off the team. So I expect him to be in the rotation.

Madrigal is an interesting issue. I'm assuming in the upcoming agreement if he is used for any part of the season he will accrue a full year so they are gonna have to bite the bullet there since we are trying to win with the whole expanded playoffs. 

This isn't true. In a lost season, 40 man players will accrue a year of service time. If they were to play 100 games though and Kopech played in 70, he'd get 70% of a year of service. That was agreed to in March. 

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This isn't true. In a lost season, 40 man players will accrue a year of service time. If they were to play 100 games though and Kopech played in 70, he'd get 70% of a year of service. That was agreed to in March. 

We're probably losing the season at this point. It is what it is with Kopech. Just find out what he is ASAP and try to sign him up.