Surprising Trade Rules in 2020

Y2Jimmy0

I thought there would be some trade activity during this 2020 season. The deadline moved to August 31. There are plenty of teams who could be looking to dump off some assets. It might be harder to do with the transaction rules reported by Mark Feinsand though: https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-roster-transaction-rules-for-2020-season

Can teams make trades? Yes, though not every player in an organization can be dealt in 2020. The Trade Deadline this season has been moved from July 31 to Aug. 31, but unlike years past, teams will be limited in which players they can deal. Only the 60 players in a team’s Player Pool will be eligible to be traded, limiting the number of Minor League players who will be moved this summer. Players acquired via trade must be assigned to a team’s Player Pool.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Look at a team like Kansas City. They may want to trade Ian Kennedy. Why should they be limited to someone in a team's 60 player pool? 

For the integrity of the 60-game season, I don’t think it would have been bad to put a freeze on trades until after the World Series. You have your own roster of qualified players on July 3rd, and just play it out as professionally as possible until the season ends. 

44 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I thought there would be some trade activity during this 2020 season. The deadline moved to August 31. There are plenty of teams who could be looking to dump off some assets. It might be harder to do with the transaction rules reported by Mark Feinsand though: https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-roster-transaction-rules-for-2020-season

Can teams make trades? Yes, though not every player in an organization can be dealt in 2020. The Trade Deadline this season has been moved from July 31 to Aug. 31, but unlike years past, teams will be limited in which players they can deal. Only the 60 players in a team’s Player Pool will be eligible to be traded, limiting the number of Minor League players who will be moved this summer. Players acquired via trade must be assigned to a team’s Player Pool.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Look at a team like Kansas City. They may want to trade Ian Kennedy. Why should they be limited to someone in a team's 60 player pool? 

So I'm wrong about this. Teams can add/subtract players from their 60 man player pool as the season goes on. I didn't know that. So for example, if the White Sox wanted like Mychal Givens of the Orioles and Baltimore wanted a prospect from rookie ball, the Sox could just release a guy like Ross Detwiler, add the rookie ball player and trade him for Givens apparently. 

• Thanks 2