Mazara starting season on IL?

joejoesox

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

I know it's a shortened season but I'd rather just roll with Engel/Leury in RF than sign a cold gennett for a 1 week issue.

And to me the bigger concern is another sox player getting COVID while in camp. NBA bubble even in a hell zone certain still seems more practical.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

^^^

Now the only question is how many players and which ones get it. Fucker(virus) is super contagious. 

We know there's been >20 people in the league who have tested positive since the intake screenings, so it is clearly getting to people even before traveling. However, there's some good news - there have been >20 people who tested positive, but even with that many cases, there have been 0 cases of it exploding among the teams where there have been positive tests. Baseball's plan did not say "no one will ever test positive", the NBA and NFL need to go with versions like that because their games have so much face to face contact. Baseball's plan says "people will get it, but our game is naturally spread out, so with precautions we can prevent large-scale outbreaks from being so common that the league has to shut down." So far, that has been correct - adding in travel may or may not remove that, but so far it's worked. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

You can spread it asymptomatically and the incubation period for symptoms is 7-10 days. He's been around the team for a week before he got sick, who knows who else was exposed. This is going to be an interesting test for the MLB protocol. Given the science, he was probably spreading for 2-4 days before he knew he was sick. 

Maybe I’m not very smart, but why does being asymptomatic matter if he’s being testing every two days?  Yes, he could have spread the virus for a small period of time before he knew it, but any contaminations would caught pretty quickly right?  Seems like if no one else is missing by now, he probably didn’t spread it to anyone.

Just now, flavum said:

I just hope they’re trying to follow the rules. Nothing is foolproof, but I’ve seen high fives, fist bumps, spitting, and coaches with masks off (or on wrong). So, if there are rules, they should be policing each other non stop.

Seen way too many Sox players not wearing a mask in the dugout sitting close to each other 

2 hours ago, TomPickle said:

As long as they let Madrigal on the opening day roster this is fine. Leury is probably as good as Mazara anyway.

Probably as good as Mazara . Yea i guess so if you use WAR since Leury's fielding and speed would probably give him a boost but Leury does not have the potential to have a break out year and hit the equivalent of 30+ HR's or put up a better OPS than Mazara. Losing Mazara also hurts the bench depth. If Mazara had a break out year that would have greatly increased the Sox chances to make the playoffs and his trade value. Leury is 29 so we can pretty much guess he's a finish product.

Mazara was 24 when the Sox traded for him and turned 25 in May and  despite the proclamations of some that he is what he is, that is hardly the case with most ball players that age , especially ones that were so good that they could play a full year in the majors at the age of 21. Mazara is a month younger than Moncada. Giolito broke out at age 25 after being the worst pitcher in baseball for a year. Luis Robert will be 23 in 2 weeks and has yet to play an inning in MLB.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Maybe I’m not very smart, but why does being asymptomatic matter if he’s being testing every two days?  Yes, he could have spread the virus for a small period of time before he knew it, but any contaminations would caught pretty quickly right?  Seems like if no one else is missing by now, he probably didn’t spread it to anyone.

I think tonight’s lineup will be important to make sure no one is missing 

• Like 1

The tests aren't 100% precise at "catching it when you just get it". The amount of virus needs to rise to a detectable level in your body before a test will appear positive. There is no reason why a player couldn't be exposed on a Sunday, actually have it when they're tested on Monday and Wednesday, test negative both days, and then be spreading it on Thursday and Friday before testing positive on Friday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There are people that don't test positive until they get symptoms.  Others don't get sick at all and test positive, having no idea they were even exposed. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Balta1701 said:

The tests aren't 100% precise at "catching it when you just get it". The amount of virus needs to rise to a detectable level in your body before a test will appear positive. There is no reason why a player couldn't be exposed on a Sunday, actually have it when they're tested on Monday and Wednesday, test negative both days, and then be spreading it on Thursday and Friday before testing positive on Friday.

^^^

Right fielder Nomar Mazara is still a little under the weather but has not been ruled out for Opening Day, said Renteria.

"Not yet, not yet," Renteria said. "As soon as I have more information on how he's doing, if we can share, we will. What I can share, we will. He's still a little bit under the weather."

July 21

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Seen way too many Sox players not wearing a mask in the dugout sitting close to each other 

I’m not sure what the player rules are, but they were all wearing them in the auxiliary dugout, except Collins wasn’t. 

Just now, pcq said:

Right fielder Nomar Mazara is still a little under the weather but has not been ruled out for Opening Day, said Renteria.

"Not yet, not yet," Renteria said. "As soon as I have more information on how he's doing, if we can share, we will. What I can share, we will. He's still a little bit under the weather."

July 21

That...seems pretty clear. 

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

More like the lineup in the next week. If it is Covid no telling how much this can snowball. 1 player next week one the week after and on and on.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You think two false negatives is likely though?

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It's about not having enough virus in your system to be detectable...that's the issue. A person is going to test negative until the virus replicates enough and there is a high enough concentration of it in saliva to be detectable. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

We might as well get used to the idea of people missing.  I have a feeling that players disappearing will be much more normal this year.  Thinking of depth will be huge.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

On days 1 and 3 after infection? It may not be certain but everything we know about this virus says it would be common. It takes 5-7 days for symptoms to appear in a great number of people, and the tests don't beat the appearance of symptoms by that much. 

The hope is that testing often enough you catch guys before they are contagious for very long, and if you are outside with appropriate safety measures including masks most of the time, spreading is limited. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's about not having enough virus in your system to be detectable...that's the issue. 

Do we know if it is possible to not have enough virus load to be detectable, yet have enough to be contagious?  Seems counter intuitive to me, but I also know nothing about virology so it is entirely possible too.

@Balta1701 is this true?  I could be a total idiot, but it seems to defy basic science.

The test that MLB uses(saliva) is all about reaching a certain threshold of viral concentration. If the concentration is below what is detectable, infected players will continue to test negative until that threshold is reached. That is basic science, and it's pretty easy to understand.