16 Team Playoffs in 2020 Agreed Upon

KrankinSox

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Should do 7 and 8 play a 3 game series to be the 7th team. 1 seed gets a bye to "third round" but really the 2nd after the play in round. Then 7 plays 2, 6 plays 3, and 5 plays 4 in a 5 game series. Lowest seed plays 1 in a 7 game series and two middle seeds play. Would be a lot of time off, but it would reward the best regular season team at least.

The time off piece makes such a construct a bit trickier in baseball, but it definitely would make the regular more worthwhile than just a straight 8 team free for all.

46 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think there is something special to the selectivity of baseball playoffs.

But, for me that doesn't come close to outweighing how disappointing it is when you have a pretty damn good year and miss the playoffs due to circumstance.

2010 was one of my favorite years in the 21st century teams. 2006 and 2003 were really special to me. 2012 was meh. Was 2008 really much better than any of those teams? 

Not at all, but it holds such a bigger place even with a pretty uneventful first round series (obviously game 163).

I would definitely be way happier if all of those were playoff teams. If you have a ~.530 win percentage you should be pretty much in the playoffs.

In a 162 game season - selectivity is important, otherwise that long season is an utter waste of time.  In a 60 game season, expanding the playoffs makes total sense.  

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The time off piece makes such a construct a bit trickier in baseball, but it definitely would make the regular more worthwhile than just a straight 8 team free for all.

I think it would be worth it. You can get some rest too for your arms in the modern game. While the delay of about 10 days isn't great, I think it's a lot better than playing in the first 5 game series.

31 minutes ago, Quin said:

Yeah, if the Sox don't get in, something has gone horribly wrong.

If they finish close to .500 and don’t show significant positive progress, sure.

But there are so many wild cards with this, and losing Kopech wasn’t an insignificant blow right out of the gate.   We’re really lacking in that true TOR shutdown guy, unless you’re counting on Giolito replicating last year instead of doing a post-2008 Gavin Floyd trajectory.   Now it might be Cease, and Law’s predicting that, but we’ll just have to wait and see.

At any rate, firing a manager after a 60 game stretch just doesn’t make sense unless a no-brainer suddenly becomes available.

In the end, it means more new fans, and more interest.

Less tanking.

Making the sport a bit more national and less regional again.

Baseball faces a direct threat from the NBA due to increased head-to-head scheduling the next two years as well as the CBA negotiations.   Time to respond.   There’s also an opportunity, as football of all kinds will definitely struggle this fall.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Less tanking.

Baseball faces a direct threat from the NBA due to scheduling from increased head-to-head scheduling the next two years as well as the CBA negotiations.   Time to respond.   There’s also an opportunity, as football of all kinds will definitely struggle this fall.

Yes !

• Kalapse changed the title to 16 Team Playoffs in 2020 Agreed Upon
17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I like the idea of low game series's.  The NCAA thrives on one and out.  7 games might give a more accurate champion, but upsets make for a better tourney.  Fight me.

This is one of the worst takes I've read on a baseball board in a while.

Play 162 games so you can lose in a 3 game series to a team that won 20+ fewer games than you.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I'm fine with a three game series for this season. I agree that in a 162 game season, there is no way you can convince me a 3 game series makes sense for a team that led wire to wire in a season. It makes the 162 almost meaningless. 

I think there should be a lot of playoff teams but I’d also be good with the teams in both leagues with best record getting placed like straight in LCS honestly

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

I'm fine with a three game series for this season. I agree that in a 162 game season, there is no way you can convince me a 3 game series makes sense for a team that led wire to wire in a season. It makes the 162 almost meaningless. 

I think there should be a lot of playoff teams but I’d also be good with the teams in both leagues with best record getting placed like straight in LCS honestly

55 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Less tanking.

Baseball faces a direct threat from the NBA due to scheduling from increased head-to-head scheduling the next two years as well as the CBA negotiations.   Time to respond.   There’s also an opportunity, as football of all kinds will definitely struggle this fall.

This is a good point. I'm not crazy about having half the damn league making the postseason, but if it makes the game more interesting, then I can get on board with it. 

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

Yeah, agree with you here. 60 games it's not as big of a deal, but you could be talking about 10 win difference. 162 would be a travesty though.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, agree with you here. 60 games it's not as big of a deal, but you could be talking about 10 win difference. 162 would be a travesty though.

I can see them shortening the season to 150 to increase the playoffs. The first round would be best of 5. The rest of the rounds best of seven. 

Hate it. Makes both regular season and playoffs less interesting. The only interesting late season games will involve sub 500 teams. Then you'll have some garbage teams fluking their way past the best teams in a three game series.

Would be better off just eliminating the regular season and putting all the teams in the playoffs with each series a best of nine. Then we'd be seeing meaningful games all year instead of watching the best teams coast half the year while sub 500 teams battle for playoff spots.

• Like 2