Eloy left game with lightheadedness.

southsider2k5

Eloy has shown a startling lack of awareness in the outfield, that has caused him to get injured, what, 3 times now in just over a year.  This can no longer be considered a fluke or bad luck.  He plays LF in a way that puts him at risk of injury every day.  His bat is too important to risk in this way, just so that he can play a non-premium defensive position, poorly.

It's definitely unfortunate to have to put a 24 year old at DH.  I get that.  But you do what you have to do.  The Sox should have made this decision.  Instead, they drafted Vaughn and then gave Abreu a 3 year deal, all but guaranteeing this can't/won't happen for a while.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They aren’t DHing Eloy next year.

I think eloy needs to stay in the OF until 22. By then EE and Abreu are gone, Vaughn has first and DH is free for eloy. But this and next year DH is really crowded and they need to make OF work for him.

1 hour ago, Richie said:

Well, I mean, sure there is. Being coordinated enough to execute proper footwork consistently. Especially in a game setting where things are moving fast. That requires athletic ability. 

Eloy has been a professional baseball player for a number of years. All of this stuff you're talking about is elementary. Shit, it's stuff you do in high school. Much less the pros. If you're at the major league level and you still look THAT lost. It's hard to get optimistic about you figuring anything out suddenly. 

I mean, jeez... knowing where the wall is when you feel yourself get to the warning track? That's just spacial awareness. I don't know how you can be a big league outfielder and be that clueless when you feel the grass under your feet turn to clay. It's rather obvious. 

48 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is obvious NOT stuff that really gets done in the Latin American/Cuban games.  We see player after player get to the US without these skills.  It is about getting noticed with the bat, and then the rest can fall into place eventually.

It's also pretty obvious that this is something the White Sox either don't recognize or don't work on when they have guys in their minor leagues either. 

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It's also pretty obvious that this is something the White Sox either don't recognize or don't work on when they have guys in their minor leagues either. 

The person has to be coachable. It's not like Eloy cam through another organization 1st or anything.  Contrast it with someone like Adam Engel who did just fine with the same coaching. 

IMO, Eloy will be serviceable in LF if he loses some weight and gets in better shape. Weight loss and conditioning served Avi Garcia pretty well after he planted himself like a lawn dart and injured himself.  Eloy looked like he was in a lot batter shape a few years ago. Although he was still doing some stupid shit.

Vaughn might be OK playing defense at first, but that has not been evident thus far.   Obviously he is not the prototypical  tall 1st baseman with a long reach but maybe he can master the position by next season or the year after.