Hamilton Up, Lopez to IR with sore shoulder

southsider2k5

10 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Tells me they wanted someone with more versatility and 2b in particular to free up Garcia for the OF again. Also, Goins can play a little OF himself in a pinch, Cuthbert cannot.

Goins is a bit more versatile. He can play the middle infield as well. Is a left handed hitter. Offensively they are very similar. Not a ton of power, little on base. I don't know who the better runner is but they could just prefer Goins. A decent case can be made he is just the better player. 

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Kluber is out, Verlander is out, Lopez....looks like Kopech was on to something.

Verlander has the eventual UCL of throwing too hard too often. Nothing to do with the conditioning issue.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Goins is a bit more versatile. He can play the middle infield as well. Is a left handed hitter. Offensively they are very similar. Not a ton of power, little on base. I don't know who the better runner is but they could just prefer Goins. A decent case can be made he is just the better player. 

Eloy out of the starting lineup tonight. Just hoping it’s only a couple game absence versus trip to the IL. My guess is they’re still deciding. Goins buys them some versatility until then.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

4 minutes ago, knightni said:

I'd like to see Lambert get a shot to start.

Doesn't sound like he was stretched out enough to be a true starter. He could be an "opener" though and they could start to extend him that way

15 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Verlander has the eventual UCL of throwing too hard too often. Nothing to do with the conditioning issue.

Weird that it just happened to happen now.Stone was talking about this yesterday. He said there are going to be more of these than usual. 
I think you cannot assume these guys were able to keep up with usual routines during their down time. 

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Weird that it just happened to happen now.Stone was talking about this yesterday. He said there are going to be more of these than usual. 
I think you cannot assume these guys were able to keep up with usual routines during their down time. 

I mentioned the same thing a few days ago.  Spring Training is mostly to get pitcher ramped up.  They got nothing solid.  I fully expect there to be a rash of pitching injuries.

45 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I wonder if verlander trying to change his throwing motion was a mistake.

He said something like lowering his release point because biomechanics says it was less stressful and maybe that is even true but still making the body doing something that it isn't used to can be a mistake because the body was not trained for that kind of motion, especially if you don't have months to ramp it up.