Hamilton Up, Lopez to IR with sore shoulder

southsider2k5

12 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I wonder if verlander trying to change his throwing motion was a mistake.

He said something like lowering his release point because biomechanics says it was less stressful and maybe that is even true but still making the body doing something that it isn't used to can be a mistake because the body was not trained for that kind of motion, especially if you don't have months to ramp it up.

Lowering the arm angle is less stress on the shoulder but more stressful on the elbow biomechanically regardless on conditioning soIt's possible. However, in general he falls into the throws too hard too often category as well.

47 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Weird that it just happened to happen now.Stone was talking about this yesterday. He said there are going to be more of these than usual. 
I think you cannot assume these guys were able to keep up with usual routines during their down time

Probably. However its on them if they didn't. They knew a season was coming and could have done it. Again though, UCL injuries aren't normally caused by something like this. This type of issue will be shoulder related. 

17 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Probably. However its on them if they didn't. They knew a season was coming and could have done it. Again though, UCL injuries aren't normally caused by something like this. This type of issue will be shoulder related. 

I don’t know how they could. Pitching during the season is a lot different than throwing  in an alley. Plus they get someone overlooking their shoulder conditioning instead of them overlooking their shoulder conditioning.These guys prepare for spring training and 2 weeks in aren’t throwing 98 for the most part. Now they have to. Kuechel seems to be thriving but he is a soft tosser. I would be really careful with Cease. If you have to take your lumps for yanking them early for a couple of weeks, it’s probably better in the long run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Doesn't sound like he was stretched out enough to be a true starter. He could be an "opener" though and they could start to extend him that way

Opener is way too progressive for this organization. After all, it didn't work the time they tried it with Carson Freakin' Fulmer.

Therefore, it shall never work!

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don’t know how they could. Pitching during the season is a lot different than throwing  in an alley. Plus they get someone overlooking their shoulder conditioning instead of them overlooking their shoulder conditioning.These guys prepare for spring training and 2 weeks in aren’t throwing 98 for the most part. Now they have to. Kuechel seems to be thriving but he is a soft tosser. I would be really careful with Cease. If you have to take your lumps for yanking them early for a couple of weeks, it’s probably better in the long run.

The could keep up with their conditioning and then be ready to throw once camp started. They didn't get as much time in camp as usual but they also aren't expecting as many pitches either. These first couple of starts are like the last couple in a normal spring training in regards to workload.

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The could keep up with their conditioning and then be ready to throw once camp started. They didn't get as much time in camp as usual but they also aren't expecting as many pitches either. These first couple of starts are like the last couple in a normal spring training in regards to workload.

Intensity level is far different. No one seemed to get seriously injured during the down time. Now, several seem serious after one start. Obviously some are going to get hurt. I just think it’s alarming it seems pretty serious for several at this juncture. I think the quick ramp up could be a reason. I think Kopech: if that ultimately was his reason, had a point made for him.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Intensity level is far different. No one seemed to get seriously injured during the down time. Now, several seem serious after one start. Obviously some are going to get hurt. I just think it’s alarming it seems pretty serious for several at this juncture. I think the quick ramp up could be a reason. I think Kopech: if that ultimately was his reason, had a point made for him.

That's fine, I disagree. The intensity in the last couple of ST start should ramp up as well. Physically it's not hard to get ready.