Sox vs St Louis Covids Game 1 8/15 thread, noon start

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

Encarnacion and Mazara both look like terrible pick ups.  At this point I'd rather see Collins get at bats

Collins seems to get an at bat like once a week...especially lost season for him.

Mazara was worth the gamble. At least they only wasted 50 games on him rather than 162. He's only been back for a week though, so maybe give him some more time. If Mazara doesn't work it didn't cost much. 

I'd definitely like to see a straight platoon of Collins and Encarnacion the rest of the season, even though I'm not a fan of Collins. Make sure that he sucks before moving on. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1) Having 7 inning games is nuts. 2) The team looked  dead again. If this continues the rest of the season I'm sure that the team will have a new manager next season. 3) Mazara looks like the second coming of Adam Laroche. So far he has really looked bad.

1 minute ago, WBWSF said:

1) Having 7 inning games is nuts. 2) The team looked  dead again. If this continues the rest of the season I'm sure that the team will have a new manager next season. 3) Mazara looks like the second coming of Adam Laroche. So far he has really looked bad.

They won't fire Renteria. This same brass offered Ventura a new contract the season his contract was up, after it was obvious to everyone that he was a horrible manager. He even knew it, which is why he rejected it and isn't managing anywhere else.

2 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Renteria is here to stay.  Unless he quits.  

Mazara is a typical white sox buy low hope the talent plays out offseason pick up. 

1 minute ago, JuliusO1274 said:

You people are delusional. He has already shown that his hit tool is there. A bad game or stretch of games is not a representation of his future. 

Lol I was told to stop and called an embarrassment by this guy lol

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm legit concerned Eloy might be Delmon Young at this point. 

Too early to make any conclusions about Robert. 

Moncada has been fine and even if he goes into a slump for a bit covid is a legit injury as there are more issues with it than just being sick. 

Come on man. Don't you ever learn about overreacting?

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

I guess you know more than Keuchel.

I forgot he went off the other day. I'm glad he did that as a leader but I still say a lot of "being flat" is cliche. As far as Eloy, he'll be fine. This team is still going to hit IMO. I'm very down on the pitching, actually. And of course the defense.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Come on man. Don't you ever learn about overreacting?

There's real reasons to be concerned about Eloy. The power is legit but the hit tool and plate discipline suck. He's been exposed a bit at the MLB level. He's unplayable in the field, so he has to hit for average and walk a bit otherwise he might not be an MLB player. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

There's reason to be concerned about Eloy. The power is legit but the hit tool and plate discipline suck. He's been exposed a bit at the MLB level. He's unplayable in the field, so he has to hit for average and walk a bit otherwise he might not be an MLB player. 

Might not be an MLB player? This is worse than the Delmonico Young comment....c’mon man

• Love 1

There's reason to be concerned about Eloy. The power is legit but the hit tool and plate discipline suck. He's been exposed a bit at the MLB level. He's unplayable in the field, so he has to hit for average and walk a bit otherwise he might not be an MLB player. 

I promise you that if the Sox didn't want Eloy, 29 other teams would kill to have him. 

I swear the game threads on  Soxtalk have turned in a Facebook comment section for the reactionary absurdity. 

Plate discipline has been a problem of young hitters, especially Sox hitters, for a long time. He'll learn what to do with the slow stuff and be fine. He is a superstar in the wings. Timmy should talk to him more about hitting, too. He's not unplayable in the field, cause he's playing out there every day, nyuk nyuk. Hopefully he can improve cause he's our LF of the future. Why worry about the hitting of our superstar candidates, Eloy, Timmy, Robert, Moncada, etc., they are going to hit.

So Grandal...who in 53 atbats has an average of .245, 0 homeruns, 9 RBI and an ops of.656...is hitting 3rd.

And Mazara is playing again over Engel. I am convinced Renteria doesn't know how to win games. I was a huge optimist of Renteria once we actually got good players...but not anymore. I now see why the Cubs let him go after they were ready to compete.

Edited by ScooterMcGee