Sox vs St Louis Covids Game 1 8/15 thread, noon start

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

If you really think about it Giolito got killed by the BABIP gods in the 1st inning. Neither the Fowler hit or the hit by their catcher were hit that hard. If the Fowler one is just a pop up like it's supposed to be he gets out of it with one run. 

he threw two 0-2 pitches right down the middle, that's asking the BABIP gods to fuck you.

If you really think about it Giolito got killed by the BABIP gods in the 1st inning. Neither the Fowler hit or the hit by their catcher were hit that hard. If the Fowler one is just a pop up like it's supposed to be he gets out of it with one run. 

The 2 hit by pitches is what really killed him. Carpenter basically leaned into one.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Nobody knew that.  You play out the play.  I just don't understand how a MLB player holds the ball in that situation.  A little leaguer would have chucked it in faster, regardless of the ruling in real time by the umps, which Eloy could not have known.

He knew that because the umpire signaled a dead ball. Look, I don't think Eloy is some great defender but of all plays to criticize him on, I don't get why you are choosing one that had literally no effect on the game

Edited by Jose Abreu

You can't control hits like that, but he had HORRIBLE command which he can control. That inning is on him.

Jack, Jack, Jack...plenty of times when pitchers just don't have it and they get bailed out, bottom line is really good pitchers get of that inning by retiring Dexter Fowler with an 0-2 count.  Extra rest of not playing for 3 days or whatever excuses we might hear in between games, just not buying it at all.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Omg stop 

• Like 1

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

he threw two 0-2 pitches right down the middle, that's asking the BABIP gods to fuck you.

Neither were down the middle. The Fowler one wasn't a strike and he was late on the first two fastballs

I agreed with that pitch selection. 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

He knew that because the umpire signaled a dead ball. Look, I don't think Eloy is some great defender but of all plays to criticize him on, I don't get why you are choosing one that had literally on effect on the game

The cardinals baserunners certainly didn't know, why?  Because they were focused on playing out the play, not doing some goofball shit.

Neither were down the middle. The Fowler one wasn't a strike and he was late on the first two fastballs

I agreed with that pitch selection. 

if you throw an 0-2 pitch anywhere near the plate you get what you deserve.  I've felt that way since I was standing out in RF in DIII watching my dumbass pitcher do the same shit.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Jack, Jack, Jack...plenty of times when pitchers just don't have it and they get bailed out, bottom line is really good pitchers get of that inning by retiring Dexter Fowler with an 0-2 count.  Extra rest of not playing for 3 days or whatever excuses we might hear in between games, just not buying it at all.

Fowler got a weak popup into no man's land on a pitch that wasn't a strike. That's just shit luck. 

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

if you throw an 0-2 pitch anywhere near the plate you get what you deserve.  I've felt that way since I was standing out in RF in DIII watching my dumbass pitcher do the same shit.

That pitch was exactly where he wanted it. 

• Haha 1