Best roster in the majors?

soxfan49

39 minutes ago, bmags said:

For clarification, he says sox have best lineup not roster (and lineup for next five years he said)

still pretty cool

Yeah, I was a little confused at first when he was talking about the Dodgers.

But in terms of our lineup, we still got Andrew Vaughn coming and an upgrade in RF will happen at some point, whether that be adding a free agent, making a trade, or signing one of the big Cuban outfielders like Yoelkis Cespedes.  

And what’s really scary is that Tim (4), Yoan (5), Eloy (6), Luis (7), Vaughn (6), & Madrigal (6) are all controlled for the next four to seven years.  This window is just opening up for us and the lineup is already a force to be reckoned with.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, I was a little confused at first when he was talking about the Dodgers.

But in terms of our lineup, we still got Andrew Vaughn coming and an upgrade in RF will happen at some point, whether that be adding a free agent, making a trade, or signing one of the big Cuban outfielders like Yoelkis Cespedes.  

And what’s really scary is that Tim (4), Yoan (5), Eloy (6), Luis (7), Vaughn (6), & Madrigal (6) are all controlled for the next four to seven years.  This window is just opening up for us and the lineup is already a force to be reckoned with.

Which reminds me of that time long, long ago...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

For clarification, he says sox have best lineup not roster (and lineup for next five years he said)

still pretty cool

SVP's question is "who's roster would you take" and Kurkjian says he would take the Sox "everyday lineup." Seems like in this case it's the same concept

I realize he’s had a terrible start to the season and he’s paid handsomely the next two seasons but I wonder if the Red Sox would consider dumping JDM just to shed some of his salary? EE + low level prospect for JDM + cash. Doubtful I know but I’d love a trade like that for a proven playoff performer.

22 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I realize he’s had a terrible start to the season and he’s paid handsomely the next two seasons but I wonder if the Red Sox would consider dumping JDM just to shed some of his salary? EE + low level prospect for JDM + cash. Doubtful I know but I’d love a trade like that for a proven playoff performer.

But why?  Vaughn is more or less ready and you’d be taking a big money for a need that doesn’t really exist.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But why?  Vaughn is more or less ready and you’d be taking a big money for a need that doesn’t really exist.

What makes everyone say Vaughn is ready? He hasn't played in meaningful games since last year. Are people just assuming that since he is a year older he's ready?

• Like 1

I think the reason that some want to believe that Vaughn is "ready" is that EE has struggled this far.

If EE cannot fulfill the Sox expectations this season, they conceivably could bring up Vaughn.

Mazara is obviously the other player in the line-up that has been a disappointment.  No home runs for a guy that big and strong ?  We are all waiting to see a 500 foot bomb and  instead we get way too many K's  from Mazara in clutch situations.

This is a shortened season, so perhaps  the Sox should respond to under-performance with more urgency and make personnel moves that  they normally would hold off on.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ptatc said:

What makes everyone say Vaughn is ready? He hasn't played in meaningful games since last year. Are people just assuming that since he is a year older he's ready?

I think he was one of the most major league bats in recent draft memory and it sounds like the Sox really like what they’ve seen from him in Schaumburg.

55 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Barring injury, it doesn’t appear the organization has interest in promoting Vaughn until late next spring. Also, I wouldn’t say 2/$20M after this season is big money (assuming Boston eats half). Historically, EE has not performed well in the playoffs while JDM has.

45 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think he was one of the most major league bats in recent draft memory and it sounds like the Sox really like what they’ve seen from him in Schaumburg.

Maybe but he hasn't even seen AA yet and probably has than than 400 at bats. I dont think they would bring to MLB until the end of next season after the A+, AA, AAA tour that Robert and madrigal got.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Maybe but he hasn't even seen AA yet and probably has than than 400 at bats. I dont think they would bring to MLB until the end of next season after the A+, AA, AAA tour that Robert and madrigal got.

There is zero chance Vaughn ever sees A+ ball short of a future rehab stint.  He’s either coming up at some point this year or most likely starts 2021 in AAA for a few weeks.  The Sox aren’t going to slow play Vaughn when they see their window opening.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There is zero chance Vaughn ever sees A+ ball short of a future rehab stint.  He’s either coming up at some point this year or most likely starts 2021 in AAA for a few weeks.  The Sox aren’t going to slow play Vaughn when they see their window opening.

They might if they plan to trade him. Not saying that’s the plan or that I advocate it but no reason to rush him and start service time if they’re considering dealing him this winter for RF or pitching help.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

A+, AA,AAA in one season is not a slow play. That's really aggressive.  Even if he starts at AA, that with AAA is still aggresive after only 200 at bats in the minors.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

A+, AA,AAA in one season is not a slow play. That's really aggressive.  Even if he starts at AA, that with AAA is still aggresive after only 200 at bats in the minors.

Normally I’d agree but there’s literally no way to figure out how to count this season. Is this A ball level play? AAA? Do we just pretend it doesn’t count? I dunno, but it’s not like he’s on his couch right now.