White Sox @ Pirates - 9/8/20 - 6:05 CT

ShoeLessRob

2 minutes ago, Chris Sale said:

Command issues. He starts locating pitches and they’ll chase the ones that drop out of the zone. Maybe he should take a page out of Giolito’s book and choose between the slider and curve 

Pirates announcers are saying his breaking pitches aren't thrown hard enough, so hitters recognize them easily from the fastball.  They think he needs to throw the slider at like 87-88 instead of 83-84

Just now, joesaiditstrue said:

Pirates announcers are saying his breaking pitches aren't thrown hard enough, so hitters recognize them easily from the fastball.  They think he needs to throw the slider at like 87-88 instead of 83-84

Makes sense to me. Imo scrap the knuckle curve unless you can locate it like Bieber or Darvish. When your command has a long way to go, working on a slider that’s a bit faster is probably the way to go. Worked for Gio

Just now, Chris Sale said:

Makes sense to me. Imo scrap the knuckle curve unless you can locate it like Bieber or Darvish. When your command has a long way to go, working on a slider that’s a bit faster is probably the way to go. Worked for Gio

His curve is way better than Giolito

Just now, fathom said:

His curve is way better than Giolito

Fair enough. It definitely has some sick movement. It’s just rarely close to the zone and it doesn’t trick people into thinking they have a chance at it - it doesn’t hang and drop enough. But with some development it could be better, for sure

2 minutes ago, Chris Sale said:

Did it work for Gio? The biggest criticism of him right now is that he comes out 50% of the time as a two pitch pitcher because the slider isn't working at all for him, and that curve has looked wicked on the rare occasion he has thrown it.

Just now, gusguyman said:

Did it work for Gio? The biggest criticism of him right now is that he comes out 50% of the time as a two pitch pitcher because the slider isn't working at all for him, and that curve has looked wicked on the rare occasion he has thrown it.

Slider has been solid if not spectacular last two starts and he threw it at way higher volume than earlier 

4 minutes ago, Chris Sale said:

Fair enough. It definitely has some sick movement. It’s just rarely close to the zone and it doesn’t trick people into thinking they have a chance at it - it doesn’t hang and drop enough. But with some development it could be better, for sure

His curveball was spectacular in spring training. Had great bite and could throw it for strikes. He just lost control of it since then. Or he just had a good couple games then.

6 minutes ago, Chris Sale said:

Its pretty much a useless pitch when hes pitching behind in the count all the time

Just now, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

His curveball was spectacular in spring training. Had great bite and could throw it for strikes. He just lost control of it since then. Or he just had a good couple games then.

I’ll have to see some film of it; don’t remember being impressed with his command last year and didn’t watch his start/starts in spring unless I forgot lol. Am I wrong or was his curve more of a classic 12-6 in the past that evolved into a slightly weirder motion (“knuckle-curve”) this year? Or was it always like that?

Solid first three innings regardless. Still, I wish he had first pitch strikes more often and hung fewer sliders. The Pirates are so bad lol.