Sonny Gray Thread

40 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Not particularly interested in Garrett, but Steiver + a lotto ticket for Gray seems like a reasonable move if the Reds were interested in that.

The Reds are going to want legit pieces if they move Gray.  I’d wager Cease, Heuer, plus another interesting piece is the least they’d consider.

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The Reds got Gray for a decent prospect and a comp round pick. And while he had a down year in NY, he was only a year removed from being an  "ace" (well, he never really was, but that was the reputation).   Now he's got this high price tag?

He had a very good 2020 and got a really cheap contract extension since being traded. Signed through 2022 at about 10 mil per year.

Edited by Orlando

12 minutes ago, Orlando said:

He had a very good 2020 and got a really cheap contract extension since being traded. Signed through 2022 at about 10 mil per year.

I guess that's it.  And yet the Reds are peddling him. The Sox just don't have a deep enough farm, despite 5 years of high picks,  to do these trades.  They trade Cease and Stiever and get 1 injury and they're scrounging again.   They don't have anyone to trade on the ML roster either; yea, they could trade Engel, but they could also use him in a nice RF platoon, and if he makes another step up, as he has the last 2 seasons, he's a ML regular.   They need to use FA.

Edited by GreenSox

Garrett would be a nice addition...Winker wouldn’t be a bad RF platoon option either. Career .915 OPS in 848 career PA’s against RH. Reds have  Castellanos, Aquino, Senzel and Akiyama capable of playing OF already. 

Reds don’t have a decent current C option that I’m aware of. Possible home for Collins?

Cease, Collins, Foster, and a Rutherford/Sheets/Micker type prospect for Gray and Winker?

2 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Thoughts? I wouldn’t hate a Gray/Garrett combo deal if the price was right.

Garrett doesn't make sense to me. The have Bummer, (tendered) Fry, and (potentially) Crochet. I don't think you try to trade for an additional lefty option for the pen. If depth is that much of a concern, I'm sure there are plenty of available LHP options that are FA right now that they can bring in as ST invitees. Unless they are that concerned about Bummer, but he looked fine to me after coming back.

2 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Garrett doesn't make sense to me. The have Bummer, (tendered) Fry, and (potentially) Crochet. I don't think you try to trade for an additional lefty option for the pen. If depth is that much of a concern, I'm sure there are plenty of available LHP options that are FA right now that they can bring in as ST invitees. Unless they are that concerned about Bummer, but he looked fine to me after coming back.

It makes sense if they're planning on moving Bummer into the closer role. With eight man bullpens, three lefties in the bullpen isn't necessarily that bad of an idea either way. Fry as the top lefty set up man would be slightly questionable. Fry would become the expendable one out of those three if that were considered an excess.

1 minute ago, Capital G said:

Its sad but I just don't think we have the depth to trade prospects. 

Unless we sign springer (all in move) I don't want to trade prospects for a pitcher. Just sign one or two.

I also don’t see the logic in trading for relievers when the relief market should be suppressed this offseason.