Passan: Springer to White Sox not happening

KrankinSox

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Perhaps there’s value in interacting with the player once he’s already in your organization before offering the big money deal compared to giving the big money right away in the free agency process? Red Sox did it with Sale. Dodgers did it with Mookie. Perhaps the Sox trade for Bauer last year and find out they’re not a big fan of his for whatever reason once he’s actually in the organization. It allows them to test out the player before making that long term investment. I believe they were considering the same with Machado before he hit free agency. I’m not saying it’s the perfect plan but if you are giving up relatively minimal prospects in return (say for Darvish and Lynn if those teams are looking to shed salary), I’m all for it.

The Dodgers didn't trade for Mookie Betts to get to know him; they traded for him a year early because they wanted to win a World Series now and not the year he became a FA.

47 minutes ago, striker said:

Encarnacion: -.3 fWAR
Mazara: .2 fWAR
Cease: -.4 fWAR
Lopez: -.5 fWAR

Although I wish this team would sign Bauer and or Springer, the bar is pretty low to beat on a team that was already good in spite of these poor performances. If you got 4 2WAR players then that is an 8WAR swing.

And you don't have to field your World Series starting lineup on April 1st, you just need a competitive team and can make trades later.

We've been saying this for 20 years.

In fact, going into last year the argument was from many, including myself, even if Mazara is just Mazara that's a "huge upgrade." Turns out below average players are much more capable of being terrible.

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Wait, Springer is selling himself to teams as a center fielder? 

But some clown here told me that Springer himself thinks he can't play CF anymore, I'm so confused. ??

This isn't what I said. If we pay him the most, he will come here. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

We've been saying this for 20 years.

In fact, going into last year the argument was from many, including myself, even if Mazara is just Mazara that's a "huge upgrade." Turns out below average players are much more capable of being terrible.

But Joc is above average typically (2020 he has plenty of excuses for).

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Dodgers didn't trade for Mookie Betts to get to know him; they traded for him a year early because they wanted to win a World Series now and not the year he became a FA.

And......they also knew they were gonna offer him a huge extension. So trading for him was like signing him to a huge free agent contract. And they got the championship for doing it a year early. 

44 minutes ago, fathom said:

They literally played about five games since 2015 that didn’t matter.  It’s amazing how people think their rebuild wasn’t one of the best ever.  Hell, if they keep the team around for one more run, they will make the postseason again.

My stance on the cubs is they should never be rebuilding.  With their budget and resources they should have a down year every now and then but remain competitive.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

They didn’t promise anything this offseason.  Wouldn’t shock me if they still have no idea what their budget is.  I know for a fact the Cubs have different budgets laid out depending on pandemic recovery.

They were going to spend BIG the last 2 seasons and didn't get their man. And we've already covered Covid. Any idiot can put 2 and 2 together on this one.

9 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

PS5 and the new Xbox are for plebs. You can play every game with people on other platforms on PC. You can get better bang for your buck even if you buy a prebuilt PC. 

I want the Sox to get a well built PC, not a PS5 or Xbox.

I got a Commodore 64 for you.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

But Joc is above average typically (2020 he has plenty of excuses for).

Joc is a low average low contact player; the floors for those players is abysmal even if theyre good players.

Two of his past four seasons he has hit 212 or under and had a fWAR per 162 under 1. He's also a low BABIP player who relies on converting a lot of fly balls into production. This way of baseball works, I'm not arguing otherwise, but it's also volatile and the Sox have been on the wrong end of that way too many times for me to trust going forward.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Joc is a low average low contact player; the floors for those players is abysmal even if their good players.

Two of his past four seasons he has hit 212 and had a fWAR per 162 under 1. He's also a low BABIP player who relies on converting a lot of fly balls into production. This way of baseball works, I'm not arguing otherwise, but it's also volatile and the Sox have been on the wrong end of that way too many times for me to trust going forward.

Yeah, but the problem is that outside of trading for a RF, he's the best option. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Joc is a low average low contact player; the floors for those players is abysmal even if their good players.

Two of his past four seasons he has hit 212 and had a fWAR per 162 under 1. He's also a low BABIP player who relies on converting a lot of fly balls into production. This way of baseball works, I'm not arguing otherwise, but it's also volatile and the Sox have been on the wrong end of that way too many times for me to trust going forward.

And that’s why I prefer they don’t sign him. I do believe though he checks all the boxes they might want.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

No chance Rangers trade Gallo

If that's the case, and there's no chance the Mets trade Conforto or Nimmo, then why did they non-tender Mazara again? 

There are basically zero options at that point. 

The Sox need to start looking at prospect for prospect deals like Vaughn for Kyle Tucker or shit like that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

If that's the case, and there's no chance the Mets trade Conforto or Nimmo, then why did they non-tender Mazara again? 

Because he’s not good and they’re frustrated he couldn’t take what they were working on with him into his at bats. Again, why do people not follow Stoney and his opinion more closely?  Not saying he’s right, but he clearly echoes what the front office is thinking.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

They spent a solid amount of money on 1 good FA and a bunch of garbage. 

So instead of a PS5, we got a PS4 and a couple of PS2s if we're gonna continue this analogy.

Big difference. 

Which of former Cy Young winner Dallas Keuchel and arguably-best-catcher-in-baseball Yasmani Grandal are "garbage"?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

There are basically zero options at that point. 

The Sox need to start looking at prospect for prospect deals like Vaughn for Kyle Tucker or shit like that. 

I could make a case for about 20 options, but by all means, don’t stop melting down on my behalf.