AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX SWEEP OF THE DH BACK TO .500

chitownsportsfan

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Why is that crazy?  They’re trying to manage his workload so he can contribute to the rotation down the stretch.

Because how can a bullpen arm, even when used for 3+, need 5 days off? I understand the plan, I just think it sets back the bullpen. He looks amazing, but I'm not sure how treating a rp as a sp is managing his workload. Let's say he threw an inning Wednesday, does that really hurt his usage?

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why is that crazy?  They’re trying to manage his workload so he can contribute to the rotation down the stretch.

exactly.  I think TLR was just saying, "well hopefully we don't fucking need him because he's on an inning limit and we need him in September and October more".

• Like 3

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

it's literally not but I was feeling charitable towards you after a sweep of the DH so I edited my post.  Anyways, last time I hit that show post button for a minute on ya.

I post he's not available until Friday and you felt the need to use semantics and say they said he likely wasn't available until Friday like that is different when the manager is trying not to show his hand (even today didn't name him starter until late). If I'm going to miss out on your brilliant responses like that if you don't unblock me I think I'll be OK buddy.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't know if the projections were right or were too pessimistic.  Like, if Vaughn and Madrigal are 2 WAR players right now and Yermin is a 3 WAR player and Jose just doesn't completely fall on his ass and Kopech is going to give us 130-140 innings of sub 3.5 ERA and the bullpen can just get out of it's own way (along with the defense) this is a 95 win club.  Of course that's quite a few things going right, which projections don't, well, project.  But I can!  LET'S GO!

Kopech will not get to 140 innings. I would guess 120 max.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Because how can a bullpen arm, even when used for 3+, need 5 days off? I understand the plan, I just think it sets back the bullpen. He looks amazing, but I'm not sure how treating a rp as a sp is managing his workload. Let's say he threw an inning Wednesday, does that really hurt his usage?

Because his arm isn't ready for it yet and they are keeping his innings down to start later in the season. He hasn't pitched competitive innings since 2018.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

We'll make it 140 after he starts game three of the division, league and WS. :headbang

I hope he pitches in the post season as well. They will just need to keep it lower during the season because they know he will need to make a few starts in the post season.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Which is great and he should be but his usage makes things hard on others if he needs 5 days like a starter would. He didn't even throw 45 pitches today 

Does it really make it harder on others when the Sox only need to use just Kopech on some days because it gives everyone else a day off?

• Like 1

Just now, ptatc said:

Does it really make it harder on others when the Sox only need to use just Kopech on some days because it gives everyone else a day off?

But it doesn't, and yes it absolutely hurts the others it's one thing to not be able to go back to back days - that's hard on the rest already - but needing a week off after 41 pitches means you're an arm short all week.

Great sweep on the road. Certainly it's been a while since the Sox have swept a DH, especially on the road. Looks like Yermin is last year's Abreu. He's gonna be the guy who produces all year long (knock on wood, etc.).  And Tim is at the stage of his career he's going to produce almost every single day as well (knock on wood, etc.). Everybody else is gonna have to get hot at some point and probably will.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

We'll agree to disagree on this one. 

Ok. But by the way they are using him, I think I'm right. It's takes time to build up innings when he hasn't pitched competitive innings since 2018.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Great sweep on the road. Certainly it's been a while since the Sox have swept a DH, especially on the road. Looks like Yermin is last year's Abreu. He's gonna be the guy who produces all year long (knock on wood, etc.).  And Tim is at the stage of his career he's going to produce almost every single day as well (knock on wood, etc.). Everybody else is gonna have to get hot at some point and probably will.

Robert seems to be figuring it out as well which is great to see.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

But it doesn't, and yes it absolutely hurts the others it's one thing to not be able to go back to back days - that's hard on the rest already - but needing a week off after 41 pitches means you're an arm short all week.

It won't be a week. It will be at most 4 days like a regular starter rest and maybe 3 due to the limited number of pitches. Although maybe 4 after today as his pitches were in the 40s I think.

It is an interesting question as this is an out of the box way to get him innings. 

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Ok. But by the way they are using him, I think I'm right. It's takes time to build up innings when he hasn't pitched competitive innings since 2018.

These guys throw year round. Kopech isnt coming back from not throwing. I think modern pitcher management has been a complete disaster with no real evidence supporting its effectiveness. Kopech has arm strength. If you want to keep inning escalation down, fine, but thinking you need 5 days to recover from 41 pitches because like you haven't been throwing daily for 16 months is nonsense to me. You build arm strength and durability by pitching, not resting. Don't throw through fatigue and soreness too much and you'll be fine. Inning load management has just increased injury.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I post he's not available until Friday and you felt the need to use semantics and say they said he likely wasn't available until Friday like that is different when the manager is trying not to show his hand (even today didn't name him starter until late). If I'm going to miss out on your brilliant responses like that if you don't unblock me I think I'll be OK buddy.

New Soxtalk drinking game: take a shot every time you call someone "pal" or "buddy."

• Haha 4