Adam Eaton v. Joc Pederson v. Nomar Mazara

VAfan

So this thread is a good reminder that the year is long and unrelenting. But some funny stuff at this point in time.

Joc after his horrid start is now up to a 106 wRC+, and is now 0.0 WAR. He has been dragged down by poor LF defense, which is consistent with previous years where RF was his strongest place.

After a great start, Eaton is hobbling and down to 91 wRC+ and 0.7 WAR driven by strong RF defense, which is good since that fell off quite a bit last year.

But here's the funny part to me.

Production vs. RHP (Left is Joc, right is Eaton)

123 vs. 111

Production vs. LHP (Left is Joc, Right is Eaton)

45 vs - 14

Funny to me just because of the howling about Joc being a platoon player and eaton being unbelievably bad vs lhp this year (.290 ops, 2 hits all year).

In July, I'm sure Eaton gets a few hits off LHP and is just appropriately bad.

Now Mazara:

63 wRC+ and -0.5 war. So...fun stuff.

The season is long...so so long.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

Funny to me just because of the howling about Joc being a platoon player and eaton being unbelievably bad vs lhp this year (.290 ops, 2 hits all year).

Tbf the plan for Eaton was too platoon before they ran out of live bodies

On 4/25/2021 at 5:59 AM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It was so painful watching Mazara play last year. What a disappointment he was. Eaton has been about as expected, maybe even a little better. Joc has been a major bust. Maybe there’s a reason it took so long for him to find an interested team last winter. It is interesting how I haven’t heard much about him considering 95% of the board was devastated that the Sox signed Eaton over him. ? 

Joc took awhile, bue he's doing fine right now

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 5:59 AM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It was so painful watching Mazara play last year. What a disappointment he was. Eaton has been about as expected, maybe even a little better. Joc has been a major bust. Maybe there’s a reason it took so long for him to find an interested team last winter. It is interesting how I haven’t heard much about him considering 95% of the board was devastated that the Sox signed Eaton over him. ? 

Still want to play this game? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Can we get an update on this? Tia.

Sure:

Eaton is still an old player in decline.

Joc's bat still has some value.

Nomar Mazara is still one of the suckiest sucks that ever sucked. It sucked that this FO was stoopud enough to trade for a guy that has always sucked at MLB-level baseball.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

We should have signed Robbie Grossman instead of Eaton.

Grossman got a two year deal. I don’t like committing two years to a second division starter.

Conforto is a pipe dream considering how the Sox operate, but he would be such an amazing fit, but let’s hope against hope that for some reason the Sox want to hand out a 6-7byear deal for him.

7 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Grossman got a two year deal. I don’t like committing two years to a second division starter.

Conforto is a pipe dream considering how the Sox operate, but he would be such an amazing fit, but let’s hope against hope that for some reason the Sox want to hand out a 6-7byear deal for him.

His contract is only 2.5 mil more than Eaton's for 2 years.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Should have signed Goodwin to begin with?  I dunno.  Weird year.

Projected 2021 fWAR

• 2.2 J. Pederson (Age 29)
  • 1.5 A. Eaton (Age 32)
  • 0.0 B. Goodwin (Age 30)

Actual fWAR through yesterday.

2017: JP 0.6; BG 0.5; AE 0.5

2018: JP 2.7; AE 1.9; BG 0.6

2019: JP 3.0; AE 2.4; BG 1.8

2020: BG 0.0; JP -0.1; AE -0.5

2021: AE 0.6; JP 0.5; BG 0.0

29 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Projected 2021 fWAR

• 2.2 J. Pederson (Age 29)
  • 1.5 A. Eaton (Age 32)
  • 0.0 B. Goodwin (Age 30)

Actual fWAR through yesterday.

2017: JP 0.6; BG 0.5; AE 0.5

2018: JP 2.7; AE 1.9; BG 0.6

2019: JP 3.0; AE 2.4; BG 1.8

2020: BG 0.0; JP -0.1; AE -0.5

2021: AE 0.6; JP 0.5; BG 0.0

Um, I was kidding.

On 5/12/2021 at 10:20 PM, Two-Gun Pete said:

I've seen players suck before, but Mazara just plain sucks. I mean, he's the suckiest suck that ever sucked.

I gotta go, my damn wiener kids are listening. 

this post should have gotten more love at the time

14 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Um, I was kidding.

My post wasn’t an argument for or against, just laying how things stand now, and in the past.

I like most wanted Pederson this off-season over Eaton (including as reported Hahn until Pederson turned down Hahn’s offer).

Eaton’s performance and health has been as I expected, but his attitude and impact on the clubhouse hasn’t been an issue, so pleased on that front.

For the past two seasons, Brian Goodwin has been a very good value in terms of $s per fWAR, and if he performs at the level he has the past two seasons, will be a good value.

Brian Goodwin of
1 year/$1M (2021)- White Sox pro rated effective 6/10 for time for service time in majors.

• 1 year/$2.2M (2020) - won arbitration with LA Angels 2/19/20
  • 1 year/$583,500 (2019) - re-signed by Kansas City 2/22/19
  • 1 year/$553,900 (2018) - re-signed by Washington 3/18
  • drafted by Washington 2011 (1s-34) (Miami Dade JC)
  • $3M signing bonus
  • agent: MVP Sports
  • ML service: 4.019

Edited by South Side Hit Men

5 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

My post wasn’t an argument for or against, just laying how things stand now, and in the past.

I like most wanted Pederson this off-season over Eaton (including as reported Hahn until Pederson turned down Hahn’s offer).

Eaton’s performance and health has been as I expected, but his attitude and impact on the clubhouse hasn’t been an issue, so pleased on that front.

For the past two seasons, Brian Goodwin has been a very good value in terms of $s per fWAR, and if he performs at the level he has the past two seasons, will be a good value.

I think Goodwin's position of CF makes him the play with Vaughn and Engel over Eaton.