Montreal Expos

The Beast

With Minyana shedding payroll the Expos may get rid of a few players with salary. Here are a few the White Sox could make runs at:

1.) Livan Hernandez, Pitcher, (2003 Stats: 15-10 3.20 era with 233.1 innings pitched) Hernandez would make a good number 3, 4, or 5. He has an option of 6 million for 2004. If declined, he would become a free agent. He is in the final year of a 4 year 11.1 million dollar contract. The White Sox could get him for about 3 million a year.

2.) Javier Vazquez, Pitcher, (2003 Stats: 13-12, 3.20 era with 230.2 innings pitched and 248 strikeouts.-3rd in NL) Vazquez would be a possible replacement for Bartolo Colon, who is also a free agent. Vazquez could save the White Sox about 3 million from Colon's 9 million dollar contract proposal. He was in a one year deal last year and was 3rd in the NL with 248 strikeouts. The White Sox could get him for about 7 million a year.

3.) Jose Vidro, 2nd base, (2003 stats .310, 15 hr's, 65 rbi's, fielding %9.83 with 10 errors.) Vidro could be a possible upgrade over Roberto Alomar, which is highly doubtful to happen, but with Kenny Williams rolling the dice.

If acquired of pitching, the rotation would conist of this

Buehrle

Vazquez

Loaiza

Hernandez

Garland

With Minyana shedding payroll the Expos may get rid of a few players with salary. Here are a few the White Sox could make runs at:

1.) Livan Hernandez, Pitcher, (2003 Stats: 15-10 3.20 era with 233.1 innings pitched) Hernandez would make a good number 3, 4, or 5. He has an option of 6 million for 2004. If declined, he would become a free agent. He is in the final year of a 4 year 11.1 million dollar contract. The White Sox could get him for about 3 million a year.

2.) Javier Vazquez, Pitcher, (2003 Stats: 13-12, 3.20 era with 230.2 innings pitched and 248 strikeouts.-3rd in NL) Vazquez would be a possible replacement for Bartolo Colon, who is also a free agent. Vazquez could save the White Sox about 3 million from Colon's 9 million dollar contract proposal. He was in a one year deal last year and was 3rd in the NL with 248 strikeouts. The White Sox could get him for about 7 million a year.

3.) Jose Vidro, 2nd base, (2003 stats .310, 15 hr's, 65 rbi's, fielding %9.83 with 10 errors.) Vidro could be a possible upgrade over Roberto Alomar, which is highly doubtful to happen, but with Kenny Williams rolling the dice.

Buehrle

Vazquez

Loaiza

Hernandez

Garland

Problems with your post:

1. There is no way in hell that the White Sox could get Livan Hernandez for only 3 mil a year. He will command at least 6 on the free agent market.

2. Vazquez would save us about 3 mil. But thats because the rumored offer is 3 years at 13 mil a year. Vazquez will probably make $10 mil next year.

My own personal opinion is that it is bulls*** that MLB dictates the payroll of the Expos. Get an actual owner for that team already. And until that is done MLB should suck it up and keep that team together.

Buehrle

Vazquez

Loaiza

Hernandez

Garland

Problems with your post:

1. There is no way in hell that the White Sox could get Livan Hernandez for only 3 mil a year. He will command at least 6 on the free agent market.

2. Vazquez would save us about 3 mil. But thats because the rumored offer is 3 years at 13 mil a year. Vazquez will probably make $10 mil next year.

My own personal opinion is that it is bulls*** that MLB dictates the payroll of the Expos. Get an actual owner for that team already. And until that is done MLB should suck it up and keep that team together.

I say we make a run at Vazquez, that is IF we sign Colon. Than again I'm not Kenny Williams and I dont know what the cost of bringing in Colon, Vazquez and a new shortstop would be.

If we do end up dealing Konerko for prospects we will have some cap room for Vazquez. .

I know I might be dreaming, but imagine a rotation with Loaiza, Colon, Buehrle, and Vazquez in it.

That's f***IN AWESOME.

Should be an interesting off-season :headbang

CWSOX45

Buehrle

Vazquez

Loaiza

Hernandez

Garland

Problems with your post:

1.) Agreed. My mistake

2.) I see. Agreed, mis interperetation

3.) Also agreed.

Now if I could agree with everybody ;)

Buehrle

Vazquez

Loaiza

Hernandez

Garland

Problems with your post:

You're right forget Livan. I'd rather just have Vazquez, IMHO Hernandez isn't worth as much as the Expos are paying him. Sure he had pretty good numbers this year, but I just can't see him performing at the same level next year.

CWSOX45

Buehrle

Vazquez

Loaiza

Hernandez

Garland

Problems with your post:

I say we make a run at Vazquez, that is IF we sign Colon. Than again I'm not Kenny Williams and I dont know what the cost of bringing in Colon, Vazquez and a new shortstop would be.

If we do end up dealing Konerko for prospects we will have some cap room for Vazquez. .

I know I might be dreaming, but imagine a rotation with Loaiza, Colon, Buehrle, and Vazquez in it.

That's f***IN AWESOME.

CWSOX45

This offseason is going to be sweet. The Sox aren't doing anything to f*** their team over, but build it up for a contender in '04.

Buehrle

Vazquez

Loaiza

Hernandez

Garland

Problems with your post:

You're right forget Livan. I'd rather just have Vazquez, IMHO Hernandez isn't worth as much as the Expos are paying him. Sure he had pretty good numbers this year, but I just can't see him performing at the same level next year.

CWSOX45

Agreed.

Buehrle

Vazquez

Loaiza

Hernandez

Garland

Problems with your post:

That's f***IN AWESOME.

CWSOX45

This offseason is going to be sweet. The Sox aren't doing anything to f*** their team over, but build it up for a contender in '04.

It all depends if we re-sign Colon, if not I don't know what is going to happen to this team....... :ph34r:

CWSOX45

Problems with your post:

1. There is no way in hell that the White Sox could get Livan Hernandez for only 3 mil a year.  He will command at least 6 on the free agent market.

2. Vazquez would save us about 3 mil.  But thats because the rumored offer is 3 years at 13 mil a year.  Vazquez will probably make $10 mil next year.

My own personal opinion is that it is bulls*** that MLB dictates the payroll of the Expos.  Get an actual owner for that team already.  And until that is done MLB should suck it up and keep that team together.

The MLB is f***ing around too much with the Expos. Get an owner already. It is a joke, the team will have no value without any of it's superstars left.

Buehrle

Vazquez

Loaiza

Hernandez

Garland

Problems with your post:

That's f***IN AWESOME.

CWSOX45

It all depends if we re-sign Colon, if not I don't know what is going to happen to this team....... :ph34r:

CWSOX45

I think they will, believe me he's not going anywhere, he loves this town too much to hurt us like the others.

Buehrle

Vazquez

Loaiza

Hernandez

Garland

Problems with your post:

That's f***IN AWESOME.

CWSOX45

CWSOX45

I think they will, believe me he's not going anywhere, he loves this town too much to hurt us like the others.

dont hold your breath

Buehrle

Vazquez

Loaiza

Hernandez

Garland

Problems with your post:

That's f***IN AWESOME.

CWSOX45

CWSOX45

I don't think we will. I see him in the Bronx next year.

That's f***IN AWESOME.

Should be an interesting off-season  :headbang

CWSOX45

Cost of Vazquez+Colon+good shortstop (Kaz Matzui hopefully) would probably cost us about $30 mil. $10 mil for Vazquez, $13 mil for Colon, and probably $5-7 mil for a good shortstop. Now, if Konerko and Thomas are gone than this would be plausible. Because in that case we would really only be adding about 7 mil to the payroll from these moves. But since JR is cheap realistically the chances of this happening are slim to none.

That's f***IN AWESOME.

Should be an interesting off-season  :headbang

CWSOX45

Cost of Vazquez+Colon+good shortstop (Kaz Matzui hopefully) would probably cost us about $30 mil. $10 mil for Vazquez, $13 mil for Colon, and probably $5-7 mil for a good shortstop. Now, if Konerko and Thomas are gone than this would be plausible. Because in that case we would really only be adding about 7 mil to the payroll from these moves. But since JR is cheap realistically the chances of this happening are slim to none.

I don't think Matsui will come hear, the Sox have never been interested in players in Asia, other than Tetsu Yofu.

I'd love to see Matsui but I highly doubt it will happen....I wish though.

As for Thomas and Konerko, they can both leave.

CWSOX45

I don't think Matsui will come hear, the Sox have never been interested in players in Asia, other than Tetsu Yofu.

I'd love to see Matsui but I highly doubt it will happen....I wish though.

As for Thomas and Konerko, they can both leave.

CWSOX45

I never said I thought it would happen, hence the hopefully. But for a good shortstop, albeit not a great one it would probably cost upwards of 7 mil to bring him in, possibly more depending on how the market is.

Don't count on it.

If we just barely increase the payroll, we won't be making any big moves to make us huge contenders next year. We'll almost certainly have to trade Maggs, and if we could get teams to take on Konerko and/or Koch, then there's a possibility we'd have a productive offseason.

I prefer we build toward the future...make a 2 or 3 year plan like the Cubs did this past offseason when they brought in Baker. The Cubs are probably going to win 90-100 games next year(assuming they make some logical moves in the offseason) and don't f*** anything up too badly. I think that's what the White Sox need to do....start a 3-year plan, and hope to contend this year, be a serious, serious contender in 05, and be guaranteed to win 100 games with a very balanced team in 06....and you just continue it from there.

The only way we get Vazquez is if Colon walks. Personally I'd rather have Vazquez. Hes a young strikeout stud and also an inning eater. I see him as just a younger version of Bartolo. The only problem is that hes more NL material and the Expos have declared him nearly untouchable.

The Cubs are probably going to win 90-100 games next year(assuming they make some logical moves in the offseason) and don't f*** anything up too badly.

Well, maybe. They are an old club with a lot of questions: catcher, first, second, short, and the bullpen beyond Farnsworth and Borowski. They have a rotation, I'll give them that, but I wouldn't think Vegas would put them at a 90 win over/under quite yet. I wish them all the luck (bad) in the world.

As for us, I have a sickening feeling we're gonna see Jose Valentin resigned to be at shortstop, and that will be an indication of a mediocre team.

The only way we get Vazquez is if Colon walks. Personally I'd rather have Vazquez. Hes a young strikeout stud and also an inning eater. I see him as just a younger version of Bartolo. The only problem is that hes more NL material and the Expos have declared him nearly untouchable.

Key word: Strikeout...sign Vazquez and Colon and make it a pitching + defense club with timely hitting and see how it goes

"Cost of Vazquez+Colon+good shortstop (Kaz Matzui hopefully) would probably cost us about $30 mil. $10 mil for Vazquez, $13 mil for Colon, and probably $5-7 mil for a good shortstop. Now, if Konerko and Thomas are gone than this would be plausible. Because in that case we would really only be adding about 7 mil to the payroll from these moves. But since JR is cheap realistically the chances of this happening are slim to none."

Where to begin? Lets start with the payroll implications that doing the above would have. The Sox have approximately 45M ALREADY tied up for next year(assuming that they take Buehrle, Lee, and Garland to arbitration) and that doesn't include picking up any options or signing anyone. If you resign Colon(13M/yr), trade for Vazquez(10M/yr), and sign a good SS like Tejada/Matsui/Cabrera(7+M/yr), than you add about 30M to that 45M already owed. Lets say that the Sox let Thomas go(very likely if he wants his 8M/yr option) and trade Konerko(easier said then done) that would subtract ONLY 8M from that 45M because Thomas's salary isn't included in that 45M, so you would end up adding approximately 22M to that 45M giving you a payroll of 67M. We already know that JR will probably have a limited payroll in the 55-60M range, so that would be AT LEAST 7M over the likely payroll. Not only that, but there are still major holes at DH, 1B, 2B, 5th starter, bench, and RH bullpen pitching. Although I will admit that a top 4 pitching rotation of Colon, Vazquez, Buehrle, and Garland would be awesome and keep the Sox in almost every game no matter how bad the offense is.

I would say that there is about a 50/50 chance of resigning Colon assuming that the 3 year 40M contract has been offered. However, with each passing day I think the odds of him resigning become less, and I have a feeling that the Yankees will offer him more money. If Colon DOES resign, than the Sox WILL NOT go after Vazquez and will probably have to move some big salaries. If Colon DOES NOT resign, than the Sox might go after Vazquez if he is indeed available. In all likelyhood I see the Sox adding a middle of the rotation starter if Colon doesn't resign.

I highly doubt that the Sox will go after any of the big 3 SS(Tejada, Matsui, Cabrera). I pointed out earlier that the Sox already have 45M tied up for next year and spend 6+M/yr for a SS would leave them very little money to address other holes mentioned above. The SS that I would like to see the Sox go after is Guillen from Seattle. There have been some rumors that he is available and he will make around 3M/yr next year, which is reasonable. He is a very solid all around player. Maybe a Lee for Guillen and a prospect would be a fair trade. My 2nd option at SS if Guillen is a little too expensive would be Vazquez from San Diego. He is a good OBP guy, plays solid D, and will make close to the minimum next year.

I would love to add Vidro, but it simply isn't going to happen. The Sox just don't have the financial flexibility to add a player like him, which is too bad because he is one of the top 2B in the game.

Buehrle

Vazquez

Loaiza

Hernandez

Garland

I would Take the 2 Puertoricans on the List and Maybe add Cabrera. Don't want Livan.

Vazquez and Colon in the same rotation is good. If we could get Vazquez and Vidro, I would say Sign Frank and trade Konerko and Maggs. Maybe can trade Maggs to the Spankees for Nick Johnson and some Moolah. The only thing Missing would be a Leadoff Guy

The infield would be a good defensive Infield.

Crede, Cabrera, Vidro and Johnson are all good glove guys

Buehrle

Vazquez

Loaiza

Hernandez

Garland

I would Take the 2 Puertoricans on the List and Maybe add Cabrera. Don't want Livan.

Vazquez and Colon in the same rotation is good. If we could get Vazquez and Vidro, I would say Sign Frank and trade Konerko and Maggs. Maybe can trade Maggs to the Spankees for Nick Johnson and some Moolah. The only thing Missing would be a Leadoff Guy

The infield would be a good defensive Infield.

Crede, Cabrera, Vidro and Johnson are all good glove guys

Lets see

Spezio, Vidro, Tejada, Crede

Although I will admit that a top 4 pitching rotation of Colon, Vazquez, Buehrle, and Garland would be awesome and keep the Sox in almost every game no matter how bad the offense is.

I think the 5th starter spot would not be a problem.... there's that Loaiza guy. :D