The Bullpen Problem

1. Hendricks: still a decent arm but sometimes a one pitch pitcher - so I'll go with average for him so far this year.

2. Bummer - hasn't been too great this year.. but been pretty good the past few - ill say he is a plus guy.

3. Foster = young guy who has a good year last yeah but no track record - ill go with ???

4.  Crotchett - had a cannon.. had surgery.. has looked good at times this year so far but still unproven ill go with ???

5.  Ruis - good fast ball but been a gas can most of his career - ill go with negative on him.

6.  Marshall - up and down career has been a gas can more than he has been good - ill go with negative on him.

7.  Kopech - been good this year.. but another unproven guy - ill say positive since he has been dominant most of the year.

8. Cody H -  good arm- was good last year... but 6.50 era so far this year - another unproven guy.. ill go ??? with him

We do have some talent.. but its mostly unproven and most teams have lots of guys that can throw hard..

I think we really overated our bullpen coming into the year - it was built upon a lot of young guys that have no track record really.

4 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

1. Hendricks: still a decent arm but sometimes a one pitch pitcher - so I'll go with average for him so far this year.

2. Bummer - hasn't been too great this year.. but been pretty good the past few - ill say he is a plus guy.

3. Foster = young guy who has a good year last yeah but no track record - ill go with ???

4.  Crotchett - had a cannon.. had surgery.. has looked good at times this year so far but still unproven ill go with ???

5.  Ruis - good fast ball but been a gas can most of his career - ill go with negative on him.

6.  Marshall - up and down career has been a gas can more than he has been good - ill go with negative on him.

7.  Kopech - been good this year.. but another unproven guy - ill say positive since he has been dominant most of the year.

8. Cody H -  good arm- was good last year... but 6.50 era so far this year - another unproven guy.. ill go ??? with him

We do have some talent.. but its mostly unproven and most teams have lots of guys that can throw hard..

I think we really overated our bullpen coming into the year - it was built upon a lot of young guys that have no track record really.

It is crystal clear that the bullpen was overrated coming into the year. The Sox needed all the young guys to hit their ceiling and none of the veterans to regress. 

Guys like Foster, Marshall, and Ruiz are a dime a dozen. A well run organization should be able to fill these roles from their farm. 

Hendricks and Bummer have underperformed. These guys were supposed to be your elite lockdown options. They have not been that at all. 

Kopech has been the rock of the bullpen but we all know his future is in the starting rotation. 

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will say I don’t think Tony is doing the back-end guys any favor.  Hendriks, Bummer, & Heuer shouldn’t go 4 to 7 days between outings or they will fall out of rhythm.  Can’t keep saving them for situations that may never happen.

And if Tony pitches them every other day and they continue to underperform then what is the excuse going to be? 

Edited by JoeyCoralFanClub

We, like all teams, have had to live through our share of bad bullpens in the past.  The tough thing this year is all the talk preseason that this would be the best bullpen in the league.  Bullpens for the most part are a crapshoot.  Like it was said earlier, thank goodness our starting staff has been so good so far.  Probably will need to bolster the pen through trade.

Edited by wegner