Coping with Tatis Jr's Success

ron883

I thought I was over the Tatis Jr. trade a while ago. Hasn't bugged me much lately. Then I took a look at his stats. He's got 13 homeruns in 32 games. That's 61 homeruns over 150 games. Sporting a 1.074 OPS. I can't help but feel that he may be the next Mike Trout-esque superstar. A guy who realistically should win MVP every year. 

Sorry to rehash and old and horse beaten topic, but the sting just came back to me after seeing his stats. That trade is Babe-Ruth-to-the-Yankees bad. All time awful trade. I'm struggling to cope with it right now. 

Honestly, I block it out and basically act like he was never part of our organization.

I’ll always sit here and be couch-GM when needed, but at the end of the day enjoying the game is much more important than worrying about a mistake.

13 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Who are you talking about — The guy with this on the back of his jersey: He Who Shall Not Be Named?

You're thinking of Voldemort - from the Harry Potter movies. I'm talking about Tatis Jr. 

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

There is no coping with it Ron, take a handful of Xanax and chase them with a good Merlot. Put on some nice music and drift away thinking of what could have been.

Just use a straw.

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

I thought I was over the Tatis Jr. trade a while ago. Hasn't bugged me much lately. Then I took a look at his stats. He's got 13 homeruns in 32 games. That's 61 homeruns over 150 games. Sporting a 1.074 OPS. I can't help but feel that he may be the next Mike Trout-esque superstar. A guy who realistically should win MVP every year. 

Sorry to rehash and old and horse beaten topic, but the sting just came back to me after seeing his stats. That trade is Babe-Ruth-to-the-Yankees bad. All time awful trade. I'm struggling to cope with it right now. 

It's still painful to me pretty much every time I see a Tatis highlight. The thought of this lineup is insane:

Anderson 2B

Tatis SS

Moncada 3B

Abreu 1B

Jimenez LF

Robert CF

Grandal C

Vaughn RF

Mercedes DH

Past is the past. 

It sucks but I haver never faulted Hahn for this. Tatis was a prospect but he was ranked like the 28th international prospect of that class and not ranked anywhere close to the top100 by any outlet. 

Going by signing bonus he was 31st and the guys around him where 

28. Christopher morel

29. Isaac paredes

30. Alvaro seijas

31. Tatis

32. Elvis alvarado

33.miguel hernandez

34. Yunior perez

35. Brailyn Marquez 

I only have heard 3 out of those 8 names and really only one seems to become an above average mlb player (maybe paredes can too). 

Those are just lottery tickets that sometimes work out but usually that is the guy becoming an average player, the tatis thing was totally unique because his athleticism jumped up unexpectedly (that j2s get stronger is normal but that they also get faster and more agile is rare) and because he has ++ work ethic and desire to get better. 

Sure you could have said Hahn should have gotten a better pitcher than shields but still he could have never won that trade. 

So what are you going to do? Never trade away young lotto tickets? You can do that but then you are not going to win because nobody will trade with you when you only offer 23 year old fringe prospects unless you are offering your top prospects which is an even worse thing to do. 

And even the super smart teams are doing that.

The dodgers traded yadier Alvarez who is often injured but when not was a superstar hitter so far for Josh fields. 

It sucks that it happened but you can't let that keep you from making trades, sometimes that is going to happen and tatis really was the 99th percentile outcome.

If anything I think Hahn does have that in his head a little too much and became a little gun shy at the deadline the last two years but I really don't fault anyone for that trade except for not getting a better guy than shields. But would you really have felt much better now if Hahn had traded him for let's say julio Teheran (who was a solid pitcher at that time)? 

Also I read preller always loved him and was looking for a chance to snatch him but while that might be true if he really saw that coming why didn't he offer him more or why did he give the same amount of money to Andres munoz instead of getting tatis? 

Edited by Dominikk85

5 hours ago, ron883 said:

Those who live in the past suffer depression. 

Those who live in the future suffer anxiety 

Only Those who live in the present find peace. 

• Like 3