Are We Done Dealing.....

2Deep

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's completely plausible that they are looking to do more. Certain posters has said they are looking at something big. I never actually believed it but it can happen. Also other minor moves can also happen.

@Backwash07 had a comment about Yan Gomes that didn't get much attention but with Zalava and Collins the catching is terrible now and could use an upgrade. Gomes hits decently and is pretty good defensively and there shouldn't be much competition for him. Grandal is injured and who knows how he is going to hold up once he returns. Gomes would be an ideal backup. Who really wants to see Collins (-3 fWAR) getting significant time in the playoffs).

Wilson Ramos would be another that couldn’t be worse than Zavala.

12 minutes ago, raBBit said:

The move for the Sox today is pretty simple.

It's moving a package for Mancini and one of Paul Fry/Tanner Scott.

Mancini + Fry/Scott for Burger, Thompson/Kelley/Dalquist, Stiever/Lamber, Yolbert Sanchez and McKinley Moore. 

1081664.jpg?b64lines=T2YgY291cnNlLgogSXQ

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

Sox have been on Mancini. He's a good hitter. I am not sure on right field and that's a fair point. You have Grandal, Moncada, TA, Robert and Hernandez for C, 3B, SS, CF and 2B. That leaves 1B, LF, RF and DH. Right now they have Abreu, Vaughn, Eloy, Engel, Sheets & Goodwin. If they swap Mancini in for Goodwin, we have 6 nice bats for four positions. I'd like to have nice players on the bench like other great teams do. It's not a perfect fit though but he'd help a lot and I'd rather trade our bullets for a guy with control.

As for your second point, I wholeheartedly disagree. I know you know the game so I am bit surprised that's your take. The Orioles suck and will suck for the forseeable future. They are best served trading their valuable pieces when they have more control. More control gets them better players for the future, less good players in the present gets them a worse record and better draft positioning for more talent for the future. I know I am glad the Sox trade Sale, Q, Eaton when they had 1-3 years of control plus instead of waiting until they lost that value. 

I realize more control gets them better prospects, but they clearly like Mancini for his leadership and public image coming back from cancer. Them having this much control also means this isn't the last chance for them to get something for them, unlike a rental. I don't think they're desperate to trade them, meaning we'd probably have to overpay to get someone like Mancini, who while good, is not a perfect fit on this team. 

Another factor that has not been discussed is the "cover" that trading away pending free agents provides to the seller, who actually prefers that the team "tank," in order to improve their draft status. Harder to win games with a depleted roster of good Major Leaguers. Oops, I see that someone just brought up that point.

Edited by Lillian

Just now, chw42 said:

I realize more control gets them better prospects, but they clearly like Mancini for his leadership and public image coming back from cancer. Them having this much control also means this isn't the last chance for them to get something for them, unlike a rental. I don't think they're desperate to trade them, meaning we'd probably have to overpay to get someone like Mancini, who while good, is not a perfect fit on this team. 

How many 1B/DH/corner types can fit on one 40 man roster?

Wouldn’t it have been far easier to sign Nelson Cruz in the offseason?

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Zavala is at least a good framer and defender. I don't think Ramos is that, even if he can hit a little better. 

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The way I look at things is the Sox have done the absolute minimum that was required this deadline, in getting a 2B upgrade and a 7th inning reliever.  With those two moves out of the way, the Sox can wait and see what opportunities present themself.  If a RF upgrade or a legit setup man can be acquired at somewhat reasonable terms I could see the Sox pull the trigger before 3pm today.  Otherwise, they go with what they have.

I think that's a fair way to put it, but I think we should all expect more than just "the minimum." 

I'm not asking them to make moves like the Dodgers did, but I feel like they are going to rest on the "Eloy/Robert/Grandal are going to be our deadline moves, we really didn't have to do much" line and I just can't agree with that. Don't just be OK, get greedy. Go for it. Be loaded with talent. 

They just don't operate that way...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But Gomes is still productive and an upgrade on Collins. I'm not looking for an uprade over  Zavala. I want a backup who calls a good game and can actually catch and frame better. Ramos is a -0.2 fWar while Gomes is a 1.0 .

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Zavala is at least a good framer and defender. I don't think Ramos is that, even if he can hit a little better. 

I checked Ramos is a decent framer at least from his stats this year. But the hitting is putrid.

If you are right now looking at the worst position currently on the team it's catcher by far.

10 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Mancini will be a FA next year. His value will never be higher that it is today. I just don't know how much leadership is needed on a team that's going to lose 100 games.

Relievers I trade as soon as they perform if my team is bad. Sox looked at trading Foster/Heuer this offseason, I am going to guess they wish they did. Fry/Scott are pitching great and have control. They are assets until they have a few rough outings and balloon their ERA. Strike while the iron is hot. 

Edited by raBBit

25 minutes ago, raBBit said:

The move for the Sox today is pretty simple.

It's moving a package for Mancini and one of Paul Fry/Tanner Scott.

Mancini + Fry/Scott for Burger, Thompson/Kelley/Dalquist, Stiever/Lamber, Yolbert Sanchez and McKinley Moore. 

Mancini makes this team better - but man.  Not really sure this team needs another right handed poor corner defender.  

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

There’s just no way that trade goes down…unless Dan Fabian is suddenly put in charge of trades.

What are you even talking about? Did you just want to say Fabian's name?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Mancini makes this team better - but man.  Not really sure this team needs another right handed poor corner defender.  

They could use another 25+ home runs and 800 OPS though. If Sox have Engel and Billy on the roster, they have defensive replacements. If they're willing to play Sheets/Lamb in the outfield I don't know why they wouldn't be willing to play Mancini. 

6 minutes ago, raBBit said:

They could use another 25+ home runs and 800 OPS though. If Sox have Engel and Billy on the roster, they have defensive replacements. If they're willing to play Sheets/Lamb in the outfield I don't know why they wouldn't be willing to play Mancini. 

Did they try to make a run at Gallo? I feel like if they're gonna empty the farm for Mancini, why didn't they try to do the same for Gallo?

Edited by chw42

8 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I mean, both of the guys you mentioned are left handed.

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Did they try to make a run at Gallo? I feel like if they're gonna empty the farm for Mancini, why didn't they try to do the same for Gallo?

I don't know. Gallo is a better fit than Mancini, I agree there. Gallo had plenty of suitors and his cost is higher than what Mancini would be. Sox aren't exactly flush with prospects so a team with a top guy on the market Gallo isn't prioritizing the Sox when other suitors can easily beat what the Sox have to offer. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, both of the guys you mentioned are left handed.

And your point is?

3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I just don't see a fit for Mancini. Why not just put Vaughn out there and DH Sheets?

I just don't see a fit for Mancini. Why not just put Vaughn out there and DH Sheets?

What don't you see? 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I hear ya.  I am certainly OK trading Burger/Sheets + Dalquist/Thompson + Yolbert for Mancini and Fry.  I don't really think any of those guys are keys to this 5 year window.  I'd prefer to keep Kelley, if at all possible.

I just worry about the OF defense and making our corner OF/DH/1B issue more jammed.  Also don't love this team becoming ever more right handed.  It'd be a mashers row tho, no doubt about it.