Robert back Monday; Gonzalez Out for Season

KnightsOnMintSt

3 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I looked 5 different places on Google and none of them said anything about whether or not someone in the minors can be put on the 60 day IL.

My understanding based on search this weekend:

A minor league player can be placed on the 7 day Minor League IL. If they are injured on the minor league roster, they can be placed on a minor league 60 day IL list.

However, to open up a roster space on the 40 man roster, a player must be added to the major league roster before being placed on the major league 60 day  IL. A player placed on the 60 major league IL continues to earn compensation and service time credits.

The Sox did not want to pay Gonzalez so he was released. Hope this helps.

21 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

A minor league player can be placed on the 7 day Minor League IL. If they are injured on the minor league roster, they can be placed on a minor league 60 day IL list.

However, to open up a roster space on the 40 man roster, a player must be added to the major league roster before being placed on the major league 60 day  IL. A player placed on the 60 major league IL continues to earn compensation and service time credits.

21 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

And, they realized he has no future with White Sox.

2 hours ago, oldsox said:

And, they realized he has no future with White Sox.

They plan on re-signing him much like they did Tyler Johnson a few weeks ago, seems more procedural in order to free up a spot from a guy who will not play the rest of the year.  I don't think they decided anything about his future yet

16 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

They plan on re-signing him much like they did Tyler Johnson a few weeks ago, seems more procedural in order to free up a spot from a guy who will not play the rest of the year.  I don't think they decided anything about his future yet

Hope you're right, because he seems like a great kid, but he hasn't had a really good year for a while, and with the emergence of Vaughn, Sheets, and Burger in the outfield, plus Micker and Cespedes and hopefully Colas, I don't see him ever again getting onto the Big Club here.

3 hours ago, oldsox said:

Hope you're right, because he seems like a great kid, but he hasn't had a really good year for a while, and with the emergence of Vaughn, Sheets, and Burger in the outfield, plus Micker and Cespedes and hopefully Colas, I don't see him ever again getting onto the Big Club here.

You just keep developing guys for trade chips and stuff.  It doesn't matter if they don't have a big league future with the Sox, they can still have value to the organization