FanGraphs Details Vaughn's Adjustment for his Turn-around

chw42

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-adjustment-that-stopped-andrew-vaughns-whiffs/

I vividly remembered how Vaughn's hands looked very different pre-swing in early July. Turns out I wasn't the only one who noticed. 

I also remember posters like fathom saying his swing was loopy earlier in the year. If you drop your hands like he did pre-adjustment, I can definitely see how you end up with a loopier and more upper-cut swing. While he may be giving up some power by having less motion in his load, he's getting much better contact. He was already hitting the ball hard as-is, he can afford a little bit less exit velocity for better quality contact. 

The article says that Vaughn's pitch recognition hasn't necessarily gotten better, he's still swinging at breaking pitches out of the zone. But I think if you've been watching him for the past month he's done a much better job of taking off-speed pitches opposite field and not trying to pull everything. 

Edited by chw42
  • Love 1

47 minutes ago, chw42 said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-adjustment-that-stopped-andrew-vaughns-whiffs/

I vividly remembered how Vaughn's hands looked very different pre-swing in early July. Turns out I wasn't the only one who noticed. 

I also remember posters like fathom saying his swing was loopy earlier in the year. If you drop your hands like he did pre-adjustment, I can definitely see how you end up with a loopier and more upper-cut swing. While he may be giving up some power by having less motion in his load, he's getting much better contact. He was already hitting the ball hard as-is, he can afford a little bit less exit velocity for better quality contact. 

The article says that Vaughn's pitch recognition hasn't necessarily gotten better, he's still swinging at breaking pitches out of the zone. But I think if you've been watching him for the past month he's done a much better job of taking off-speed pitches opposite field and not trying to pull everything. 

I'm really happy that he made the adjustment and with everyone getting healthy this team can go a long way.TLR should have them right where he wants them to be come the playoffs.

The whole season is just an experiment that prepares them for the playoffs.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

looks like Vaughn is likely to see a bunch of breaking balls soon, that will be the adjustment the league makes to his recent fastball dominance

personally I think he will figure it out like he has been, and start sending them over the fence      

I wonder if this is a conscious adjustment he has made or if it is just a matter of how his hands work when everything is clicking and he has his timing down. IOW, the opposite of when a hitter starts pressing and his swing starts getting long and his head can start moving without him even knowing. Maybe AV is just now more comfortable and in his groove and things are just "quieter" with his swing now as a matter of course?

The lower hands are interesting to me. Ted Williams loaded with his hands near belt level. I wonder why we don't see more hitters doing that?