KW Plan

The Beast

...Signing Bartolo Colon

Plan B-?

Plan C-?

Key points from the interview

1.) HE wants Robbie back

2.) Bye Everett!

3.) Thomas will let him know about his return.

4.) Loaiza, Schoenweises options have been picked up

5.) Plan A Priority-Colon, Robbie, Gordon

6.) Gordon +/- of signing

7.) Sully +/- of signing

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats Thomas situation? I know he has a choice, but what happens if he says no? What if he says yes?

If he says no he doesn't wanna comeback then the Sox have the right to use their option and bring him back. At the same time the Sox can say no go on your merry way and Frank has to pay the Sox a 2 million dollar buyout or maybe it's 1 million.

If he says no he doesn't wanna comeback then the Sox have the right to use their option and bring him back. At the same time the Sox can say no go on your merry way and Frank has to pay the Sox a 2 million dollar buyout or maybe it's 1 million.

Thomas would be a fool not to exercise his option.....

If the Sox's don't pick up Frank's option he becomes a FA. Frank can buyout the Sox's if they pick up the option and he dosen't want to stay.

If the Sox's don't pick up Frank's option he becomes a FA. Frank can buyout the Sox's if they pick up the option and he dosen't want to stay.

I thought if the sox picked up the option and he says no we still have his rights...maybe I read ur posts wrong

I thought if the sox picked up the option and he says no we still have his rights...maybe I read ur posts wrong

Frank has the first choice at $6 million. If he declines, then he is gambling that either the Sox will pick up their option at $8 million or he can get better money on the open market.

The common thought now is that if Frank declines, so will the Sox, allowing him to be a free agent. But that is just conjecture.

The Sox would be foolish to pay Frank $8 million next season, especialy if they want to keep Mags. Frank declining that option would be a blessing in disguise for the Sox because they'd be freed of his contract and they'd most likely be able to keep Mags next season. They'd also have some change to spend elsewhere if his deal came off the books. No way Frank is going to turn down the $6 mil, he'd be lucky to get half that elsewhere.

Do you realize that KW can only complete deals that JR ok's? And there's no reason NOT to believe that the Colon deal was more Cashman, Minaya, and MLB than KW.

Hey he's the GM regardless of what you guys think of his involvement...if you're going to rip him when "his" deals go bad then you damn better give him credit when they go well.

Hey he's the GM regardless of what you guys think of his involvement...if you're going to rip him when "his" deals go bad then you damn better give him credit when they go well.

Bartolo being around .500 after a terrible start is hardly what I'd call a "well" deal..... especially from a 20-game winner the season prior.

I totally agree Mr. officer.

Call me crazy, but I think KW did a great job this past season.

It certainly wasn't his fault that Konerko didn't hit the ball, that Koch totally sucked and Frank tried to hit every ball out of the ballpark. He put talent on the field, it just didn't produce, especially in the crucial Twins series in September and against the lowly Tigers.

It certainly wasn't his fault that Konerko didn't hit the ball, that Koch totally sucked and Frank tried to hit every ball out of the ballpark.  He put talent on the field, it just didn't produce.

Agreed. He did a great job this year.

No more ripping for me on KW.

It certainly wasn't his fault that Konerko didn't hit the ball, that Koch totally sucked and Frank tried to hit every ball out of the ballpark.  He put talent on the field, it just didn't produce.

Agreed. He did a great job this year.

No more ripping for me on KW.

And he even dressed up to fire JM, gotta love that....

:cheers :cheers :cheers

It certainly wasn't his fault that Konerko didn't hit the ball, that Koch totally sucked and Frank tried to hit every ball out of the ballpark.  He put talent on the field, it just didn't produce, especially in the crucial Twins series in September and against the lowly Tigers.

I am a big fan of KW last season. And this season I think I will stick by him because he made me a fan of his.

Live by the sword, die by the sword :lol: ;)

Two thoughts:

1.  Big Frank sold his house, so he might be more inclined to move to the West Coast;

2.  Why would we want to re-sign Robbie Alomar?  He will be more useless and more expensive next year than last year.

To anwesr #1: Frank wants to win, he sold the house to make sure he's financially secure. If the Sox's put out a good team Frank isn't going anywhere, but if he thinks he can get a fair deal (probably no more than 6 mil) with a better team i think Frank will leave.

The Sox would be foolish to pay Frank $8 million next season, especialy if they want to keep Mags.  Frank declining that option would be a blessing in disguise for the Sox because they'd be freed of his contract and they'd most likely be able to keep Mags next season.  They'd also have some change to spend elsewhere if his deal came off the books.  No way Frank is going to turn down the $6 mil, he'd be lucky to get half that elsewhere.

Frank will at least test the free agent waters, but don't expect him to go elsewhere unless he really feels unwanted and gets a very similar offer elsewhere.

Two thoughts:

1.  Big Frank sold his house, so he might be more inclined to move to the West Coast;

2.  Why would we want to re-sign Robbie Alomar?  He will be more useless and more expensive next year than last year.

I can't figure out the fascination with Alomar. Jimenez had superior stats in every offensive category from what I can figure out. I dno't care how stupid he was on the basepaths, he is a better player then Alomar at this stage of the game. I don't want Robbie back. It would be the same as bringing Jose back. Your paying for guys that are over the hill and their best days are well past them.

Jose and Alomar should be gone. The Sox will have a new cf, ss, and 2nd baseman next year. That would make me happy at least. Rowand, Reed, Borchard all count as new CF for me. The key is 2nd and ss, I am not concerned with cf. I want an influx of speed up the middle.

"No way Frank is going to turn down the $6 mil, he'd be lucky to get half that elsewhere."

I disagree. While he is getting older, is solely a DH, and swings for the fences he did finish 2nd in the AL in HR's and 6th in OPS. That is worth more then 6M/yr, especially for teams that need offense and have financial flexibility: Baltimore, LA/Atlanta(if they feel confident putting him at 1B).

I have supported KW for day one. Like Kark mentioned, if you are going to blame KW for the bad deals, than you have to credit him for the good deals, or you can not blame or credit him for any deals(if you feel that others are making the decisions), but you have to pick one way or the other. I like KW because he always looks to improve this team and he is very aggressive(the lack of aggressiveness was the main knock on RS). If you look at all of his trades, whether they have worked or not, his trades attempt to improve the weaknesses while giving up players from areas of strehgth. He can't predict if players are going to underachieve or get hurt. His job is to put talent on the field with the limited payroll that JR gives him, and for the most part he has done a good job of that.

"Bartolo being around .500 after a terrible start is hardly what I'd call a "well" deal..... especially from a 20-game winner the season prior."

I hate when people judge pitchers by wins and loses, becuase wins and loses can't be placed on individuals when they are determined by the ENTIRE teams play. If Colon pitches a complete game and gives up 1 run and the Sox offense is shut out, does Colon deserve a loss? Or if Colon gives up 2 unearned runs because of poor D behind him and he loses 2-1, does Colon deserve a loss? There are many other examples like this that show that you can't judge a pitchers effectiveness by wins and loses, because its a TEAM SPORT. The fact remains that Colon was a great addition(in which the Sox gave up next to nothing to get him) and put together an impressive season, especially the way he saved the bullpen with his CG, which is hard to measure.

"2. Why would we want to re-sign Robbie Alomar? He will be more useless and more expensive next year than last year."

I agree. I would much rather have the Sox give Harris or Miles a chance then overpay for an aging Alomar.

Two thoughts:

I can't figure out the fascination with Alomar. Jimenez had superior stats in every offensive category from what I can figure out. I dno't care how stupid he was on the basepaths, he is a better player then Alomar at this stage of the game. I don't want Robbie back. It would be the same as bringing Jose back. Your paying for guys that are over the hill and their best days are well past them.

Jose and Alomar should be gone. The Sox will have a new cf, ss, and 2nd baseman next year. That would make me happy at least. Rowand, Reed, Borchard all count as new CF for me. The key is 2nd and ss, I am not concerned with cf. I want an influx of speed up the middle.

I agree with the fact that you don't understand all the fascination with Alomar back. He's washed up, imho. But to say Jiminez was a better player than Alomar is, again imho, ludicrous.

Jiminez could hit a little bit, but that's all he could do. He has the baseball instincts of a box of rocks. I'll take a washed up Robbie Alomar over Jiminez.

Yeah really

Yes and Frank has never done anything stupid due to his sense of pride. I remember the first time he walked out of spring training a few years ago, he did that specifically against the advice of his agents, whom he then fired. You could certainly make a case that signing the diminished skills contract was stupid, and again marked by his own overblown sense of self, because no one else in baseball, hey even in sports, has ever signed such a contract.

Frank WOULD be stupid to turn down the 6 million, but he's done enough stupid things in the past to indicate it could happen again.