Self Serving Thread Warning ~ Sorry

Texsox

I hate these types of posts but I wanted to thank the few people who emailed me today. Your words were very kind.

The reason I'm very sensitive to the type of attack that occured this weekend is because my favorite community service is as a Boy Scout leader. As you can probably guess, an attack like what CW went through would end that for me. Having a wife, kids, sterling reputation, and zero evidence would still be tossed away. It would break my heart beyond belief to lose that. I've made too many promises to boys who've had too many adults break promises to them. I'm worried as I write this that someone will twist this into something wrong. How sad is that? I'm afraid to admit I volunteer to work with teenage boys and they mean a lot to me. While the board was imploding, I was blissfully unaware on a campout on a peaceful lake.

I've tried to always be respectful of everyone here and perhaps that's why I never was in their sites to be flamed. Viewing the vile attacks that went back and forth without anyone moderating was very disturbing. If the moderators won't pull those posts there is nothing they will pull. No matter who you are or how civilized you've been, they will not step in and that makes me sad. Perhaps I'm looking for more structure or at the minimum, people who understand the responsibilities of free speech.

I was surprised to learn that several posters where underage here. Since we seem to be sensitive to communications between adults and youth, it seems like a smart idea to somehow identify who the youth are.

I was a homesick Sox fan when I found this board, and now I'm a homesick soxtalk fan. If I won a big surf competition and hired Van Halen to play the party, I'd invite a lot of you on this board to the party. :snr

I hope it was van halen or that joke bombed :D

Well you gave warning. And I've said that after today, all things regarding this issue, will be dealt with via pm's. But this is still today.

The moderators here are going to be taking a new approach here. This board is one where all ages can post and its going to be a board where people don't have to worry about being attacked and they won't be attacked.

I know after recent events people may question that, but I think you and many others will notice that the board is changing for the better.

You have two moderators for this forum who I presume have lives. The lesson here is moderators need to be here more often. If someone makes a libelous accusation it can't sit there for hours or days. How can you promise a tighter watch from just two people?

Do you want this as the forum to report crimes and turn in criminals?

And I'll state again, it's unfair to critize adult-youth exchanges if the youth aren't identified. I was only aware of one kid that posted here, not I'm finding out we have a lot of 14 and 15 year olds. I guess I can't tell and underaged

:fyou from an adult :fyou

:D :D :D

Which brings me to another point. Perhaps to set the tone we could get rid of :fyou

:finger :dips*** :stupid

Sorry, I'll shut up.

And once again and sincerely, thanks everyone who makes this site tick. If I didn't care I would just delete the bookmark and go . . .

While only 2 mods are listed, there are a lot more mods then that. I think the big thing was that before hand, all of the mods thought more as individiauls and didn't really have a general idea.

Over the next week we plan on having a much more wide stance where all mods can be comfortable taking action when they find it necessary.

Along with those listed as mods here, there are also quite a few others that have access to mod all boards.

But their will always be times that a mod won't be around...but I'm comfortable that people here know how to treat others. As long as you think before you post, we shouldn't have trouble. And all personal matters should be dealt with somewhere else. If you don't like a poster, then keep that to yourself and just ignore their posts.

As far as ages, I'd say we have all kinds, but there are some younger posters and a lot of them around my age. There are also plenty older then me.

While only 2 mods are listed, there are a lot more mods then that.  I think the big thing was that before hand, all of the mods thought more as individiauls and didn't really have a general idea.

Over the next week we plan on having a much more wide stance where all mods can be comfortable taking action when they find it necessary.

Along with those listed as mods here, there are also quite a few others that have access to mod all boards. 

But their will always be times that a mod won't be around...but I'm comfortable that people here know how to treat others.  As long as you think before you post, we shouldn't have trouble.  And all personal matters should be dealt with somewhere else.  If you don't like a poster, then keep that to yourself and just ignore their posts. 

As far as ages, I'd say we have all kinds, but there are some younger posters and a lot of them around my age.  There are also plenty older then me.

Here's an idea....

Make all specialty board mods global mods as well...That way there's a very small likelihood of there not being at least one mod on the board at all times. :)