100 Greatest World Series

GASHWOUND

http://espn.go.com/swf/mlb/anniversary/ws1...artnersite=espn

ESPN ranked the top 100 greatest WS for the 100th anny

pretty interesting

The Black Sox were named the 98th worst WS game...99 and 100...there were no WS games

And the best was the 91 Twins... I would have went for the DBacks over the Yankees IMO.

I thought last years was a very good one, even though it didn't get ratings and that Dbacks Yankees one was amazing. Kim blowing game after game and Gonzo's hit.

I do agree. The Yankees-D'Backs series was the most compelling since I can remember. I don't think ratings matter about last year. It just Anaheim isn't a super interesting team. It seems like the damn monkey was as big of a deal as the Angels.

Had the Cubs and Red Sox gotten to the World Series this season, they would have waited to make this list, and put that series as number one.

I don't know. That 1954 Series was outstanding. The Indians were 111-53, they had Bob Lemon, Mike Garcia, Early Wynn, Hal Newhouser, and Bob Feller as their starting pitchers. (All HOF'ers besides Garcia - a great starter.) They had the batting champion (Lopez), and a team full of speed and power. They met the Giants in that series (97-57), who had Marichal, Gomez, HOF reliever Hoyt Wilhelm, 21-game winner Johnny Antonelli, Dusty Rhodes, Willie Mays, and Avila (the batting champ in the NL) - and yet the Giants kicked their asses. It was a good Giants team. but a team that was inferior - if you believe the "experts."

Needless to say - the "undermanned" Giants swept the series - four games to zip.

I don't know.  That 1954 Series was outstanding.  The Indians were 111-53, they had Bob Lemon, Mike Garcia, Early Wynn, Hal Newhouser, and Bob Feller as their starting pitchers.  (All HOF'ers besides Garcia - a great starter.)  They had the batting champion (Lopez), and a team full of speed and power.

They had the batting champion, but it was Bobby Avila. The manager was...ahem...Al Lopez. I guess I pulled a Dusty.

I don't know.  That 1954 Series was outstanding.  The Indians were 111-53, they had Bob Lemon, Mike Garcia, Early Wynn, Hal Newhouser, and Bob Feller as their starting pitchers.  (All HOF'ers besides Garcia - a great starter.)  They had the batting champion (Lopez), and a team full of speed and power.  They met the Giants in that series (97-57), who had Marichal, Gomez, HOF reliever Hoyt Wilhelm, 21-game winner Johnny Antonelli, Dusty Rhodes, Willie Mays, and Avila (the batting champ in the NL) - and yet the Giants kicked their asses.  It was a good Giants team. but a team that was inferior - if you believe the "experts." 

Needless to say - the "undermanned" Giants swept the series - four games to zip.

How can a series that was swept be considered one of the greatest?

To me, it was great because you had an arrogant team that was one of the game's best ever overall, and then an underdog team that was given no chance came through and walloped them.

Maybe it's just my hatred for the Indians clouding my vision. :)

To me, it was great because you had an arrogant team that was one of the game's best ever overall, and then an underdog team that was given no chance came through and walloped them.

Maybe it's just my hatred for the Indians clouding my vision. :)

That would be a tough call. Hatred of the Indians vs my hatred of anything New York.

Hmmmm .... I'd have to pull for the Tribe. :D

And for the record, I didn't see or hear those games in 1954. I just read a book about that series a few years back.

I love to read about baseball whenever I can - it's my favorite sport by far.

I guess I'm just wise and mature beyond my 32 years so far on Earth. :)

And for the record, I didn't see or hear those games in 1954.  I just read a book about that series a few years back. 

I love to read about baseball whenever I can - it's my favorite sport by far.   

I guess I'm just wise and mature beyond my 32 years so far on Earth.  :)

:cheers

I still look at the '75 series between Cincy and Boston as the best ever.  Simply because I thought game 6 (Fisk's homer) was best World Series game I ever watched.

The 75 series was awesome... Yas, that series is the first real remembrances I have of baseball now. I watched it before, and collected baseball cards that whole season (wish I still had those now), but I can't really remember any detail of anything else before that, except listening to the 1974 AS Game on radio while the family was on vacation (@ Beech Bend State Park for you the Kentucky guy).

Some thoughts on WS that I can remember.... Hope at least one person finds them interesting...

1975 - one of the best ever... awesome series from game 1

1976 - easy Cincy win over the Yanks... the Big Red Machine was unstoppable

1977 - Cincy broke up the Big Red Machine by trading Tony Perez (why I can't remember)... Series was boring except for Reggie... Hit 3 HR's in one game, all on the first pitch of the at bat, I believe. He also homered in the last AB in the gambe before as well. One of the best individual performances...

1978 - boring Yanks beat dodgers again....

1979 - fun series with Pirates and their "We are Family" them beating the Orioles

1980 - Phillies beat Royals - all i can remember is Pete Rose playing and Tug McGraw thumping his glove on his thigh....

1981 - Dodgers - Yanks again..... don't remember much except Dodgers win this time

1982 - Awesome series with Cards and Brew Crew.... wrong team won though

1983 - Orioles-Phillies - don't recall a lot and I wasn't even drinking yet :)

1984 - Padres-Tigers - Tigers started the season 35-5 and played about .500 ball the rest of the season, but were good enough to get in done in the WS...

1985 - Royals beat Cards highlighted by Cards fans whining about Don Denkinger's call at 1B in game 6... Cards lost Game 7, 11-0

1986 - One of the best... something about series the Red Sox are in.....

1987 - Twins rise up to beat Cards.... home team won every game in this one

1988- Kirk Gibson's HR in game one was one of the best single baseball moments I have ever seen.... If you ever get a chance to watch the whole sequence/inning, do it... unbelievable.... Hershiser finishes off the A's and the Dodgers pull off a Major upset

1989 - Earthquake series... A's sweep series but takes 2 weeks to play the 4 games...

1990 - Reds sweep heavily favored A's...

1991 - Braves-Twins..... another great series.... nailbiters and drama throughout.. both teams went worst to first, I believe

1992 - Blue Jays upset Braves... I think this is the year Molitor was on fire...

1993 - Mitch Williams- Joe Carter... great moment, pretty good series

1994 - :fyou

1995 - Braves-Indians.... Bravos lone WS win

1996 - beginning of Yanks dynasty... no repeat for Atl.

1997 - Marlins-Indians... might be the series I watched the least of....

1998 - Yanks beat Padres... boring

1999 - Braves swept by Yanks..... I had tickets to Game 6 in Atlanta :fyou

2000 - Yanks-Mets... I watched, but other than Clemens/Piazza it was boring

2001 - Yanks-D'backs.... awesome series.... one of the 5 best on this list for sure

2002 - good series, but a yawner when you look back....

I'm going to attempt to do what Rex did for the 1964 through 1969 series.

1964 - Yanks over Cards in 7 (iirc) I remember Ken Boyer hitting a grand slam to win one game 4-3. The Cards were down 3-0 when he hit it.

1965 - Dodgers over Twins ... This was thumping Twins team with Allison, Killebrew, Mincher, Battey, Oliva ... but was shut down by Koufax, Drysdale and company.

1966 - Orioles with FRobby, BRobby, Boog Powell was in this one and I think they beat LA. But I'm not sure.

1967 - Like 1964, a heart breaker year for ChiSox fans. Cards over RedSox.

1968 - Tigers over Cards in 7. McClain won 31 games that year, but Mickey Lolich won 3 games in the Series. Gibson K'd 17 batters in one game to set WS record which, I believe, still stands.

1969 - Amazing Mets over Orioles. That year is infamous in Chicago for some reason. :huh: