The Cell renovations....

BigNDfan2003

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read a blurb in the Chicago Tribune the other day that the Sox are going to be continuing their renovations to US Cellular Field over the next few weeks.  I don't think the exact plans have been released, but has anyone heard anything?

Supposedly they aren't going to say much of anything official until after the WS is over.

Last i heard was that 8 rows will get chopped off the UD (what good does that do?) and the UD roof will be extended over all the seats behind home plate. Could be wrong, but it seems reasonable.

I can't wait to see it opening day!! :headbang

CWSOX45

Last i heard was that 8 rows will get chopped off the UD (what good does that do?) and the UD roof will be extended over all the seats behind home plate. Could be wrong, but it seems reasonable.

I counted at least 10 rows today. They are destroying the roof-overhang that was painted black last season underneath by poking it full of holes. There are two huge cranes in the west lots and a few workers were up by the lights on the first base side. The lights will be coming down for the renovations.

It's just my opinion, but I don't think anything other than the upper deck renovations will be done before the start of next season. It has been almost a month and they are still removing upper deck seats as of today. Look for the grand entrance on 35th and Wentworth and the possible HR porch to be done during the '04-'05 offseason. That is just MHO though.

From what I've heard they are doing quite an overhaul to the upper deck...How i know this is my friends father owns a local glass company and put in a bid on the work that is goin to be done...He knows he is not gonna get the job but he wanted to see the blueprints as to what exactly is planned out...and I havent seen them yet but from what I've heard from him it may end up resembling New Soldier Field!!! :bang

But any change to the upper deck is a good one right?!?!?!

With all the work I may come around and say selling the naming rights was an ok thing.  I'll never say I like it!

You know, I'm already OK with the name change.

The "new Comiskey" would have never been MY Comiskey Park anyway.

Just like the United Center, USCF will just become the name in time, without any negativity.

Really, the only thing that would have made the name change easier to accept would have been re-naming it when it was built, but naming rights weren't for sale back then, or if they were they weren't all the rage like now.

Of course, the renovations are making the acceptance easier and quicker. JR would NEVER have done any of this without US Cellular's $$$.

I counted at least 10 rows today. They are destroying the roof-overhang that was painted black last season underneath by poking it full of holes. There are two huge cranes in the west lots and a few workers were up by the lights on the first base side. The lights will be coming down for the renovations.

It's just my opinion, but I don't think anything other than the upper deck renovations will be done before the start of next season. It has been almost a month and they are still removing upper deck seats as of today. Look for the grand entrance on 35th and Wentworth and the possible HR porch to be done during the '04-'05 offseason. That is just MHO though.

Yeah, there are more than 10 rows out today, but i heard they had to remove a few extra rows for more construction room. My friend told me his ticket rep said only six rows will be removed. I guess we'll just have to wait until the Sox's announce what the hell their doing.

What's a home run porch?

Just wondering.

It sounds neat though.

Do you remember old Tiger Stadium? It had an upper deck in right field that extended out over the field. Some balls that landed in the upper deck for homers would have playable if not for that overhang. It was called a porch.

Just heard on Fox News Chicago earlier in the broadcast that plans will be released today. A fox helicopter was showing aerial shots of The Cell and it showed an interesting seating pattern for the lower sections of the upper deck. It looked something like this.......

x ........... x...........x..........x

x.............x...........x

x ............x

x

Dammit, I cant center the drawing. What i meant to make it look like was an inverted triangle.