The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

They’re prepared to negotiate late tonight, so I guess that’s a good thing. It would be pretty wild if they got it done and the next 10 days is nothing but free agent signings and trades. Who knows what GMs have been talking about trade-wise…there could be some wild 3-4 team trades.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I didn't claim I'm an expert ever.  I did claim accurately that I have been the lead negotiator in a number of negotiations with 2 teamster unions.  Please understand that what you think of me could not matter less.  I tried to explain to you and others that negotiations just work this way.  Apparently, you think you have more experience in these matters.  I guess it is possible but somehow I doubt it in your case.  

Except these have very publicly not been normal negotiations, but you still insist that they are.  I have never claimed to have more negotiating experience than you, I in fact have never been a part of a union negotiation as there aren't unions in my field.  I have however worked for myself for nearly 20 years, and do know a thing or two about fighting for what I deserve with every contract that I sign.  What I have done is debunked, repeatedly, what you have claimed but actual reporting does not bear out.  And when asked for evidence to support your claims you deflect or attack the poster asking.  You have nearly forty years on me, but you resort to childish behavior when called out.  I have pleaded with you before not to insult the intelligence of the posters you respond to, but here we are again.  It's tired.

15 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Except these have very publicly not been normal negotiations, but you still insist that they are.  I have never claimed to have more negotiating experience than you, I in fact have never been a part of a union negotiation as there aren't unions in my field.  I have however worked for myself for nearly 20 years, and do know a thing or two about fighting for what I deserve with every contract that I sign.  What I have done is debunked, repeatedly, what you have claimed but actual reporting does not bear out.  And when asked for evidence to support your claims you deflect or attack the poster asking.  You have nearly forty years on me, but you resort to childish behavior when called out.  I have pleaded with you before not to insult the intelligence of the posters you respond to, but here we are again.  It's tired.

You have been self-employed for appx. 20 years and poppysox has 40 years on you? 

Poppysox does not need evidence to support his "claim" as though he is in Court.   He just expresses his opinion like everyone else. 

A few here chose to disrespect him and pile on. That is what drew the controversy out unnecessarily.  At the end of the day, this kerfuffle in not about anything that substantive, relevant to the WSox, or with the mlb /player negotiations. Maybe stop piling on the guy because that is has become distracting. It's just one-upmanship, sniping and piling on by a few of the usual suspects.

Edited by tray
  • Like 1

This is where not having a real commissioner really hurts baseball.  If the small market teams want protection against Steve Cohen and other large market clubs, then they should concede something else to the large market teams (such as minimal payroll requirements in order to receive revenue sharing).  There should be balance to what the owners are proposing to the players, but unfortunately Manfred has zero ability to bring the various ownership cohorts to a consensus and instead just hopes he can exploit the weakness that has historically been the MLBPA.  And it’s going to be us fans who suffer as a result.

• Like 1

These fucks (both sides are fucks) both knew where they were going to end up and what it would take to get there and still will take it right to the final hour (maybe an extended 24-48 hrs) to accomplish it. And then both will act magnanimous while simultaneously selling that they won the battle.

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Come on, if you want to concede on something big, offer a bigger bonus pool for pre-arb players. That $20 mill comes out to just over half a mill a team.

Just shows how desperately owners want 14 teams.  Still paltry numbers compared to where the players are. 

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

In isolation it’s good there are options for these items, but how does the CBT fit into this equation?

The 40m/700k deal with 14 teams is good for players if they can bump up CBT to 220m and get 3% increases a year. They might have to throw a bone on increasing the top tax rate from 62.5 to like 70 or something.