The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I'm not gonna lie, I kinda agree. It will be hard to argue to hold out for more considering the percent raises so many would get and what is likely to be a frothy market to follow the end of the lockout.

BUT the introduction of an INTL draft likely just needs to be executed through. Players already gave up the goose in terms of Compensation to that group of players with the hard cap budget, but freedom of movement now would be taken away. That said, hard to give up all that for some 16 year olds and I think they all know this system sucks.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I really am not sure how you could argue the draft would kill bonuses more than the last one. Top 30 players it will be very similar, the rest were already in the meat grinder.

A draft is needed really badly down there.  You can argue the money that gets put into needs to match what spending already is down there, but a draft eliminates the worst aspects of business in the DR.

10 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Unless I missed something overnight, this seems like an optimistic take.  They're still $30M apart on the pre-arb pool, and the PA has shown no real willingness to this point to drop down to the $40-50M range that is going to be required to get this deal done. 

Putting aside some of tertiary issues, from an economic standpoint, MLBs offer last night seems like an enormous win for the players.  Going to be very disappointed if they don't figure it out. 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why is this so bad for the players?  I guess I don’t get Tatis’ beef with the concept.

Tatis father was an MLB player and probably shielded away from the underbelly of this practice.  Tatis didn't even get a large bonus and was not even a highly regarded prospect. 

The international draft, salary floor and cap work in other sports yet in baseball it cannot???????

Agents and closed books are what is killing this sport. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

It's going to be a very bad look MLBPA to not take this deal at this point. 

(Assuming the proposal is accurate)

Yeah, I agree.  At Least with what's being reported, it seems like MLB has made quite a few concessions while the MLBPA stuck to their guns on some key issues (rightfully so).  I would hate to think the deal gets torpedoed over the international draft.  You'd think there could be some safeguards implemented to at least alleviate some of the concerns.

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Unless I missed something overnight, this seems like an optimistic take.  They're still $30M apart on the pre-arb pool, and the PA has shown no real willingness to this point to drop down to the $40-50M range that is going to be required to get this deal done. 

Putting aside some of tertiary issues, from an economic standpoint, MLBs offer last night seems like an enormous win for the players.  Going to be very disappointed if they don't figure it out. 

We've seen so much intransigence from ownership all winter that I hope the players recognize the gains in offer on the table right now.  It feels like the core issues have been addressed and the players are probably better off conceding on the difference in the pre-Arb pool.  Yes is not what they asked, but its bigger than what's been offered previously.  Its still a win for the players IMO and the only big hang up I see is about how the INT draft is implemented at this point.

Players shouldn't accept a draft. It's just a way to limit the choices players have and lower salaries. The goal should be eliminated the draft for everyone, not expand it. 

The whole crappy system begins with a draft. 

18 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This was one driving me nuts last night. A number of these things would ideally require weeks to get the exact details down and several back-and-forth passes. It’s generally acceptable to both but you don’t want to accidentally sign off on something whose implications you don’t understand. Manfred wants them doing these talks under a deadline so that maybe that exact scenario happens. No wonder no one trusts him.z

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

It's going to be a very bad look MLBPA to not take this deal at this point. 

(Assuming the proposal is accurate)

I'm as pro-player/labor as they come, and I agree.  Assuming the figures reported are in fact accurate, I think the players look really bad if they let something minuscule tank this offer.

• Like 1

Just now, ptatc said:

The MLB gave some things to the players and added some things for themselves? Isn't that what negotiations are supposed to be?

Here’s 75 new pages of text describing the international draft rules. The deadline is 6 hours from now. If you want to name a counter proposal we need the text in 47 minutes. Why are you swearing?

• Like 1