The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

Ok so you have the owners that are millionaires/billionaires and you have the players that make a boatload of money, most even millionaires, for what they do. Us fans pay money to watch the product so enough of this bs already. Get a deal done and go back to work. 

Edited by maloney.adam

26 minutes ago, Quin said:

It's pretty clear from today's negotiation that the owners are negotiating in bad faith and have always planned on doing as such.

Today was irrefutable evidence that ownership is not serious about finding a deal.  Two days before their deadline and they are still throwing out non-starters?  How do the players even take them seriously at this juncture?  

• Like 1

Just amazing that we wait a decade for a competitive team and we run into COVID and some labor bullshit.

If I were the players, I’d explore the possibility of starting their own league.  While it would certainly be near impossible to pull off in a short period of time, it would basically show the owners they are nothing but a source of capital and with time they could be replaced.  As stupid at that may sound, the owners believe they have all the leverage because the players don’t have another source of income.  Even a half-baked threat might force them to concede a little bit to avoid opening up that rabbit hole.

24 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Yeah, not like this is urgent or anything. Their asses should be meetings around the clock.

If ownership had any interest in negotiating in good faith, I would share these sentiments.  But after today’s bullshit, continued meetings feel futile.   

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just amazing that we wait a decade for a competitive team and we run into COVID and some labor bullshit.

If I were the players, I’d explore the possibility of starting their own league.  While it would certainly be near impossible to pull off in a short period of time, it would basically show the owners they are nothing but a source of capital and with time they could be replaced.  As stupid at that may sound, the owners believe they have all the leverage because the players don’t have another source of income.  Even a half-baked threat might force them to concede a little bit to avoid opening up that rabbit hole.

The players should own the teams. They are the reasons why it exists in the first place. I'd support the players making their own league. 

On 2/25/2022 at 8:56 PM, southsider2k5 said:

If they don't,  I can go to another similar employer at a higher pay rate without needing to leave the country.

Ok. Baseball players do have it worst than most American workers. I still believe workers are Amazon, Walmart, etc should receive higher wages based on the profits those companies are reporting. 

So why isn't someone going to your company to make $20,000 more? Because y'all aren't unionized. We need a massive shift to unions to bring back the middle class. 

I'll continue to support the owners by going to games, watching on TV, probably buy a hat or two. I'll also support the players by going to games, watching on TV, probably buy a hat or two. 

I guess the only way to support the players and not the owners is by sending some cash to the players while boycotting games. 

Maybe the owners have figured that out. 

2 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

The players should own the teams. They are the reasons why it exists in the first place. I'd support the players making their own league. 

I am almost certain that this is the one sport where that can’t happen without an act of Congress.

Imagine if every employee in your entire industry was part of the same union and negotiating for you. No insurance could be sold until the insurance union and insurance companies reached an agreement. Retail workers everywhere belonging to the same union. No groceries being sold until a CBA was settled.

Why would any employee not want to be part of a union? 

12 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

And, where would they play their games, Scooter?  Who will manage the complicated infrastructure of MLB?  You're nuts.

12 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

The game exists because for a hundred years players and owners have built "America's Pastime."  The current players and owners are both reaping the rewards of many other contributors to its popularity.  I hope they don't manage to screw it up.