The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Crochet to minors ship has sailed.  I think they'll work to stretch him out some towards the back half of the season.  Make some spots starts.  Work multiple innings.  Call in the Kopech role from 2021, but hopefully they commit to it a bit better.  Not convinced Crochet is going to be a SP, but I think you at least have to try.

While I definitely would have had all of Vaughn, Kopech and Crochet in the minors to start last season, they didn't, and they are not going to change courses on that at this point. 

Yeah, it seems we're all in agreement:

That it was obvious to everyone that those three should have been sent down last year,

That it could be beneficial to send those three down this year, but

It probably won't happen.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Don't get excited.

Don't get excited.

Don't get excited.

Don't get excited.

Don't get excited.

Don't get excited.

Don't get excited.

Don't get excited.

Too late, this better not fall apart.

Exactly what I’ve been thinking all night while being unable to sleep.

Man this board is way more interesting when we’re talking about potential Sox moves instead of fucking labor disputes. 

I give the return of baseball kumbayah effect two weeks until everyone is at each other’s throats about how Hahn did/didn’t fuck up his off-season moves. 

thanks to everyone who’s been posting all the negotiation updates, has been very helpful to stay up to speed with a number of different sources. 

• Like 1

Just now, Marqhead said:

Man this board is way more interesting when we’re talking about potential Sox moves instead of fucking labor disputes. 

I give the return of baseball kumbayah effect two weeks until everyone is at each other’s throats about how Hahn did/didn’t fuck up his off-season moves. 

thanks to everyone who’s been posting all the negotiation updates, has been very helpful to stay up to speed with a number of different sources. 

It will probably take me weeks to remember what even happened before december. It just took me 5 minutes to figure out who Lil Kimmy was referring to

1 minute ago, bmags said:

One thing I am unclear on in these in-between years. If you signed a QO-offered free agent under the last CBA, would you still lose a draft pick under this new one (knock on wood)?

Would have to imagine a guy like Conforto is still subject to the previous CBA with respect to draft pick forfeiture.  But obviously there isn't complete clarity on that at this point. 

So, we were all glued to Twitter and SoxTalk yesterday (especially last night), and we'll be glued to both today.  Then once the lockout is over, it's going to be a feeding frenzy for signings and trades, so we'll be glued to Twitter and SoxTalk again.

If the lockout ends today, I'm not getting much work done the rest of the week.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Would have to imagine a guy like Conforto is still subject to the previous CBA with respect to draft pick forfeiture.  But obviously there isn't complete clarity on that at this point. 

A writer in an MLBTR article (I'll try to find it) seemed to indicate that anyone unsigned would fall under the new CBA rules but we shall see. I guess they could agree that it would be fair to start next offseason.

It will probably take me weeks to remember what even happened before december. It just took me 5 minutes to figure out who Lil Kimmy was referring to

Or the generation who knows ‘Lil Kim the rapper…a bit confusing.  Kimbrel?   Those of us laying in the weeds for months are going to have to quickly catch up again.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

That would be very disappointing.

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

So, we were all glued to Twitter and SoxTalk yesterday (especially last night), and we'll be glued to both today.  Then once the lockout is over, it's going to be a feeding frenzy for signings and trades, so we'll be glued to Twitter and SoxTalk again.

Thank god, the obsession may return!

8 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Between this and March Madness, safe to say some things are going to take a backseat.  

44 minutes ago, Baron said:

Please sweet jesus not another season of Collins being the backup catcher. That's all I ask from Rick in the next few weeks. Well that and an outfielder. 

I'll echo this and add some more specificity to this: this doesn't mean that Collins can be the starting catcher.

Please God let us sign a legitimate backup catcher, and keep Yaz healthy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think it gets done today or tomorrow. No way the owners make those concessions only to not get a deal done. The owners are still winning big here. 

The CBT in subsequent years will need to go up more. Freezing it at 220 for 3 straight years won't work. Maybe 220, 224, 230, 235, 240. Prearb pool also needs to go to at least 30m and min salaries will need to go to 700 from 675. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

One thing I am unclear on in these in-between years. If you signed a QO-offered free agent under the last CBA, would you still lose a draft pick under this new one (knock on wood)?

I thought that was agreed to weeks ago that was going away IIRC.

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

The CBT in subsequent years will need to go up more. Freezing it at 220 for 3 straight years won't work. Maybe 220, 224, 230, 235, 240. Prearb pool also needs to go to at least 30m and min salaries will need to go to 700 from 675. 

But I would hope those are minute details that could be hammered out fairly easily now that there has been actual movement on the recalcitrant side.  Even the adjustments you listed above are wins for the owners IMO.  Just not the union crushing wins they originally hoped for.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I thought that was agreed to weeks ago that was going away IIRC.

I know it's going away on the new one, but if it was signed under the old agreement does that old cba still carry over it's penalties for this draft?

I know it's going away on the new one, but if it was signed under the old agreement does that old cba still carry over it's penalties for this draft?

That's a good question.  My guess is the new agreement would supercede the old one, but I am not an attorney, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

You would think a free agent signing falls under the CBA when the signing occurs, not when the player becomes a free agent…. But I’m sure more specifics of those types of situations will be ironed out and will become known.