The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

39 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Has Jerry spent the last two years complaining about being broke?  No.  Why?  Because they are not broke.

“The two teams and the stadium all have expenses,’’ Reinsdorf told USA Today’s Bob Nightengale. “None have income. That’s a bad business model. The Bulls got to play 75% of the season, so the losses aren’t bad. We had a lousy season [22-43], so we weren’t going to be in the playoffs, anyway. But the baseball losses are tremendous.’’

Just now, bmags said:

This seems reasonable. I’m sure harsher penalties. Hope this wraps it up.

Maybe the players union will cave, in previous CBA's they have, but it's tough for me to envision them signing off on a CBA where the CBT only goes up by ~5% over the life of it.

But hopefully this leaking means the numbers are close enough where an actual compromise is possible.

6 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Maybe the players union will cave, in previous CBA's they have, but it's tough for me to envision them signing off on a CBA where the CBT only goes up by ~5% over the life of it.

But hopefully this leaking means the numbers are close enough where an actual compromise is possible.

That’s after a one time boost of almost 10% though. There’s likely some find tweaks but the number should work on that issue. 

Not sure if it’s even plausible, but is there a situation where they’re close enough and only need a few final tweaks, and they end the lockout and continue negotiating, knowing a deal will be done in the next few days?

5 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Not sure if it’s even plausible, but is there a situation where they’re close enough and only need a few final tweaks, and they end the lockout and continue negotiating, knowing a deal will be done in the next few days?

There’s no legal issue that would prevent this. Whether the owners would do it I dunno.

24 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I’d love to see it but I doubt the owners would lift the lockout w/o dry ink on a new CBA. 

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That’s after a one time boost of almost 10% though. There’s likely some find tweaks but the number should work on that issue. 

If the owners are willing to go higher on later years CBT, I think they'll have a deal. It's clear from what's being negotiated that the players have conceded they won't make up lost revenue from previous CBA's, but I don't think a ~15%  increase to the CBT (by the final year of the new CBA) is enough for players to sign off on when revenues increased by 30% between 2015-2019.

But that's why it's the owners proposal and not the players. I would think this isn't a final offer for tonight. It seems as if the numbers we're seeing now are close enough to be negotiated, so hopefully that is the case and they can reach a deal tonight.