The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Sox will be considered a large market team. That's all that matters. JR should be fighting that because the Cubs have at least 60% of the Chicago baseball market, and that's probably conservative. 

I did some math on twitter follows and there was about a 70/30 split. I really don't know where else to get data but that's about right IMO. 

40% of Chicago would be the 16th largest metro area and I’ve argued repeatedly there are fans that watch both teams.  The Sox are a large market team no matter how you slice it.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

40% of Chicago would be the 16th largest metro area and I’ve argued repeatedly there are fans that watch both teams.  The Sox are a large market team no matter how you slice it.

I'm sure there are weirdos in Chicago that like baseball but watch whichever team is good at the moment. But if both teams are good or both are bad you'd bet your ass they're picking the Cubs first. 

It really seems like there is a light at the end of the tunnel here.  Crazy it took the owners this long to make real concessions, but this seems mostly fair from what I can tell.

Also, overall this is a pretty decent CBA for the Sox.  The luxury tax is just high enough to not be a major deterrent for us during our competitor window (2022 to 2024).  The draft lottery rules should hurt whichever teams in the Central plan to tank.  And an international draft is a game changer when your owner refuses to pursue 14 year olds.

Get this shit done so Hahn can add a RF, 2B, & SP next week while I’m on spring break!

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Depending on the tax penalties it should make the cheap anti-spending owners happy, hopefully. 

True, but there are small market teams that can probably only afford a payroll in the low $100M’s.  I think having some defacto cap is good to certain teams from striving toward $400M payrolls.

• Like 1

It really seems like there is a light at the end of the tunnel here.  Crazy it took the owners this long to make real concessions, but this seems mostly fair from what I can tell.

Also, overall this is a pretty decent CBA for the Sox.  The luxury tax is just high enough to not be a major deterrent for us during our competitor window (2022 to 2024).  The draft lottery rules should hurt whichever teams in the Central plan to tank.  And an international draft is a game changer when your owner refuses to pursue 14 year olds.

Get this shit done so Hahn can add a RF, 2B, & SP next week while I’m on spring break!

I’ve been reading over everything looking for the catch and so far I’m impressed by the details.  I’m trepidatiously thinking this might get it done ????.

• Like 1

True, but there are small market teams that can probably only afford a payroll in the low $100M’s.  I think having some defacto cap is good to certain teams from striving toward $400M payrolls.

As much as I want a floor and know it’s not happening, I really think this makes those cheap owners happy, or happy enough. 

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

I’ve been reading over everything looking for the catch and so far I’m impressed by the details.  I’m trepidatiously thinking this might get it done ????.

Just wait for to the owners to slip in uniform costs counting against the CBT to blow this up last minute.

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Just wait for to the owners to slip in uniform costs counting against the CBT to blow this up last minute.

Seriously.  The anti-owner pessimist in me still expects the other shoe to drop any minute now. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's just not worth arguing anymore. People are going to believe what they want to believe. I'll make a comment and just leave it at that.

That's the issue. The difference between believing and thinking. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

There has to be some type of petty bullshit in there, right? 

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Seriously.  The anti-owner pessimist in me still expects the other shoe to drop any minute now. 

Normally I’d feel that way, but with Ken Rosenthal providing updates and not Bob Nightengale I feel like there’s real legitimacy here.  Plus the offer looks good at face value.

• Like 1

Normally I’d feel that way, but with Ken Rosenthal providing updates and not Bob Nightengale I feel like there’s real legitimacy here.  Plus the offer looks good at face value.

Maybe it’s me but if this doesn’t work in the next 24 hours, it’s going to be a long time before we see a deal.

• Like 1