The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

4 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Mark Appel with a good a thread about being a minor leaguer and what they need to be successful re: housing, food, and off-season training. Lays out a pretty decent proposal that makes a ton of sense from the practical perspective, but owners will hate from a financial perspective.

https://twitter.com/markappel26/status/1493693618988720137?s=20&t=KaSaeV1eqf_cY7VrDvMcZA

Great read. That said, it likely wouldn't even cost as much as he suggests to bring in a consultant sports dietitian and a food service team to do it.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Want an example of a guy who had a bad offseason conditioning program and then his career completely changed when he improved that? Carlos Rodon.

Suddenly a cy young caliber pitcher, after badly struggling with injuries

Or Jake Burger. Perhaps we could have seen what he could have become years ago, had he been given a proper model to take care of his body. 

That said, the market often dictates these sorts of advancements. Investors are already shoveling cash at top prospects, in exchange for a percentage of their future earnings.

TATIS owes an investment fund $27.5M, in exchange for cash to advance his offseason programs a few years back. But there is something of a pareto principle to what BLA do, in that they select the top prospects to fund. MLB orgs would be wise to support MiLBers system-wide.

Unfortunately for us, this org seems to be laggards in adopting anything new. If MLB mandated improved treatment of MiLBers, the SOX would be in, but I doubt they'd do it of their own accord.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Great read. That said, it likely wouldn't even cost as much as he suggests to bring in a consultant sports dietitian and a food service team to do it.

Or Jake Burger. Perhaps we could have seen what he could have become years ago, had he been given a proper model to take care of his body. 

That said, the market often dictates these sorts of advancements. Investors are already shoveling cash at top prospects, in exchange for a percentage of their future earnings.

TATIS owes an investment fund $27.5M, in exchange for cash to advance his offseason programs a few years back. But there is something of a pareto principle to what BLA do, in that they select the top prospects to fund. MLB orgs would be wise to support MiLBers system-wide.

Unfortunately for us, this org seems to be laggards in adopting anything new. If MLB mandated improved treatment of MiLBers, the SOX would be in, but I doubt they'd do it of their own accord.

We already know that MLB's draft is often a crapshoot, and guys with legit talent slip many rounds sometimes. Investors aren't going to give everyone in the draft money. Give these guys decent nutrition and coaching and see if any surprises happen by the time they're 25.

One obvious example - here's a scrawny kid from Michigan who was drafted after some 200 people that year. Who would invest in this guy's future earnings? 

tom-brady-1.jpg 

16 minutes ago, White Sox Park said:

If MLB continues their petty squabbles over money, at some point the fans are going to become indifferent to the sport, and that bigger piece of the pie that they are all fighting over, will no longer be there.

This couldn't have been said better. Time for people to think in much bigger terms. 

1 hour ago, White Sox Park said:

If MLB continues their petty squabbles over money, at some point the fans are going to become indifferent to the sport, and that bigger piece of the pie that they are all fighting over, will no longer be there.

I dunno.  I’ll watch baseball whenever it comes back, even if it took years.  I just like watching this game. 

There's no way to force MLB owners to value wins over profits

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-lockout-theres-no-way-to-force-team-owners-to-put-wins-over-dollars-015040077.html

Well-written article.  Made me revisit the JR only will spend enough money to ensure the team's around 2nd place (well, that was the case until 2016/17) each and every year, which was basically the Sox philosophy from the late 90's until two decades later, mostly under KW.

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Time between:

Lockout and first owners proposal: 43 days
First owners proposal and Union response: 11 days 
Union response and second owners proposal: 19 days
Owners second proposal and Union response: 5 days

Those numbers are trending in the right direction.

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

There's no way to force MLB owners to value wins over profits

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-lockout-theres-no-way-to-force-team-owners-to-put-wins-over-dollars-015040077.html

Well-written article.  Made me revisit the JR only will spend enough money to ensure the team's around 2nd place (well, that was the case until 2016/17) each and every year, which was basically the Sox philosophy from the late 90's until two decades later, mostly under KW.

Interesting article and another indication of why I am against expanded playoffs. If profits can be truly gained without winning, there is less incentive for owners to build a solid team when so-so teams can make the playoffs. Then the owners can tell fans they got their teams into the post-season and act like they want to win when they really don't care.

At this point, we fans are truly spectators with no influence. If we really mattered, Spring Training would have started on time. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

I dunno.  I’ll watch baseball whenever it comes back, even if it took years.  I just like watching this game. 

I'm with you on that.

While the strike is annoying, I've never understood the logic behind:

1.  I really enjoy watching baseball.

2. The owners and players are taking this away from me for some relatively short period of time because they are greedy jerks.

3.  I'm going to punish them by permanently not doing something I enjoy.

Most people will be back.  Everyone involved knows it.  And the ones that loudly proclaim boycotts are usually the ones that didn't really get into it in the first place.

33 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

I'm with you on that.

While the strike is annoying, I've never understood the logic behind:

1.  I really enjoy watching baseball.

2. The owners and players are taking this away from me for some relatively short period of time because they are greedy jerks.

3.  I'm going to punish them by permanently not doing something I enjoy.

Most people will be back.  Everyone involved knows it.  And the ones that loudly proclaim boycotts are usually the ones that didn't really get into it in the first place.

You are probably right. But, it's starting to hit mainstream news. Just saw them mention it on ABC 7. Hopefully that creates pressure.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

If this were in place for 2021, the Mariners and Blue Jays make the playoffs in the AL and the Reds and Phillies do in the NL. The Phillies won 82 games. 

Harper, Guerrero Jr and ...the mariners in the playoffs is a better playoffs.

• Like 1