The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

Everyone I talked to yesterday had completely lost all optimism in regards to starting on time. Last nights news is interesting though. The owners have to have expanded playoffs. They already have a deal with a network for it supposedly. 

The owners were/are willing to miss some games because they’d recoup the money during expanded playoffs. MLBPA saying they won’t approve it without playing 162 is a nice move. This could finally get the owners to negotiate seriously. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Baseball just makes the rules as they go along. Sad that they don't even have a postseason plan for this season yet. Manfred is a bad commish and baseball doesn't seem to care that its fans are old and younguns don't like baseball.

Who is "baseball" in your scenario here 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Everyone I talked to yesterday had completely lost all optimism in regards to starting on time. Last nights news is interesting though. The owners have to have expanded playoffs. They already have a deal with a network for it supposedly. 

The owners were/are willing to miss some games because they’d recoup the money during expanded playoffs. MLBPA saying they won’t approve it without playing 162 is a nice move. This could finally get the owners to negotiate seriously. 

It’s really the only card they have so hopefully it gets things moving.  The fact the owners plan to negotiate daily next week is also a good sign.

12 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

So the lockout is not just a negotiating tactic for players (which obviously hasn't worked like manbutt thought it would) but for big spending owners as well?

This is all about the small market owner v the big market owner.

There only needs to be 8 dissenters from ownership.

I would guess the players would take a hard cap with a ceiling and a floor but the floor would be the issue.  The Pirates can suck forever getting extra picks and funding from the league.  Who cares about the fans and the reality of the baseball. 

25 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

This is all about the small market owner v the big market owner.

There only needs to be 8 dissenters from ownership.

I would guess the players would take a hard cap with a ceiling and a floor but the floor would be the issue.  The Pirates can suck forever getting extra picks and funding from the league.  Who cares about the fans and the reality of the baseball. 

I seriously doubt the players would take a hard cap unless the revenue split was pretty dramatically in their favor. That was literally the genesis of 1994 - JR will break the union and get his spending hard cap.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Play 162 games and your reward for winning 95 is basically the same as 83 or so in any sort of playoff expansion. So dumb. I am disgusted by everything about MLB.

Yup, 100%. Everything from the effects of expanded playoffs to small market teams refusing to spend to a floor and be competitive is pathetic… and then you have the whole minor league debacle… unbelievable. For the first time, it’s starting to make me reconsider following baseball as a hobby

6 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Yup, 100%. Everything from the effects of expanded playoffs to small market teams refusing to spend to a floor and be competitive is pathetic… and then you have the whole minor league debacle… unbelievable. For the first time, it’s starting to make me reconsider following baseball as a hobby

2FD68E3C-41BF-4602-9760-6C3C44D693AB.jpeg

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I will always love baseball, but with every passing year the MLB ownership collective gets worse and worse for the game.  I can only hope that more Manfred ball 'innovations' don't completely ruin my enjoyment of MLB.

• Like 2

I think smaller clubs would say they've found ways to be competitive without spending so don't force them to.

2010s were a small market decade with Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Cincy, St Louis, Tampa, Minnesota and Cleveland all fielding successful eras and even several world series appearances between them. 

52 minutes ago, JoeC said:

With a potential salary floor I for one am looking forward to seeing a 40-year-old player with 3 years / $150MM left on his contract sit on the 60-day IL of the Pirates or Marlins for the last years of his career... NHL style.

While I would like to see this happen, there is no reason to think a salary floor will be showing up any time soon.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Its just like college. Pay no attention all semester, then the night before the final realize you better start looking at this shit.

Yep, we know they are serious when they pull an all nighter....I'm sure that will produce a solution to make everyone happy.