The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

I am sure you realize revenue is not profit.  The "assbags" have agreed to raise the minimum by 60K the last time I looked.

The Braves had a $104 million dollar profit in 2021. 

What else you got? 

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If you were as smart as you obviously think you are...the name-calling wouldn't be necessary.

Simple reading comprehension doesn't make me smart. You said " I would have been happy to play baseball for a living for damn near any amount of pay the owner wanted to give me"

You've also gone on a campaign the last two months, defending the owners at every turn. The definition of a boot licker is a "toady, servile follower." 

Seems about right...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

The Braves had a $104 million dollar profit in 2021. 

What else you got? 

It was reported on Page 95 that revenue of $568 produced an operating income of $20 million.  It's been fun but I have a house full of friends coming over and I will be tied up for 3 or 4 hours.  Have fun with your posse.

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

I disagree with your premise that the public favors the players.  Most of us tend to hang around with people who think like ourselves.  We tend to read the articles and watch/listen to media that supports our point of view.  You hang with a crowd that thinks the players are being unfairly treated. The primary reasoning of your crowd is the owners are making tons and therefore should part with a bigger piece of the pie. I hang with a crowd that thinks the players are unbelievably greedy.  My group thinks that when a player has shown himself to be really good the individual owners have rewarded their players with unimaginable salaries of 20 and 30 million dollars (hardly miserly).  It is true that after serving an apprenticeship...the player is free to go to work for the highest bidder.  I realize that I am just hitting on a couple of talking points for both sides and some will want to amplify their side's points of view.  I would agree that the demographics of this forum favor the players.  The public at large is a different matter.

Real bold of you to assume what "group" I hang out with. Are you reading any of the content that the reputable journalists are putting out there? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

It was reported on Page 95 that revenue of $568 produced an operating income of $20 million.  It's been fun but I have a house full of friends coming over and I will be tied up for 3 or 4 hours.  Have fun with your posse.

Enjoy the boots! 

4 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Real bold of you to assume what "group" I hang out with. Are you reading any of the content that the reputable journalists are putting out there? 

It's fake news bro. I disagree with what these journalists are saying, so it's fake news. Come on bro.

7 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Ok business folks please inform, what’s the difference between the $20 million operating income and $104 million numbers here?

33 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Good Luck with attaining whichever of those is your goal.  I would have been happy to play baseball for a living for damn near any amount of pay the owner wanted to give me.  That is why Jose is the popular player he is.  He wants to play for the WS whatever the cost might be in dollars.

I've had supervisors who make above $200K. While not the MLB minimum, their career length blows the average MLB length out of the water. So while I might not reach that, it's way more attainable than billionaire.

But you'd play baseball for "damn near any amount of pay," so how about what minor leaguers make - $8,000 and $14,000. We'll be generous and give you the $20,000 that a draft pick like Fraser Ellard (White Sox 8th rounder) gets, vs. the $10K that Gil Luna (9th rounder) got, but stretch that out for your whole career.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Good Luck with attaining whichever of those is your goal.  I would have been happy to play baseball for a living for damn near any amount of pay the owner wanted to give me.  That is why Jose is the popular player he is.  He wants to play for the WS whatever the cost might be in dollars.

Jose Abreu is making almost $17 million this year, and is set to push his career earnings to $100 million next year.  He also opted out of his earlier contract because it didn't pay him as much as he could potentially make through arbitration.

I don't think he is the guy you want to hold up as someone playing for any amount of money.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think it's notable that the Braves won the world series last year.

OIBDA of the Braves since 2017

2017 ($39M)
2018 +$84M
2019 +$39M
2020 ($53M)
2021 +$104M

The Braves also started the season with a 33% capacity limit and weren’t able to do 100% until early May.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-braves/truist-park-attendance-in-2021/YC6TUJB22JCZHM2LRY5DDDMYII/?outputType=amp 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Braves also started the season with a 33% capacity limit and weren’t able to do 100% until early May.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-braves/truist-park-attendance-in-2021/YC6TUJB22JCZHM2LRY5DDDMYII/?outputType=amp 

I guess my priors were that winning the world series were good business, which is why I shared 5 years.

18 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah I would have liked them to get a bit more stretched out in the minors, especially since you could have recovered a year of control of Kopech. 

Also kinda wish Vaughn would have been in the minors for like the 12 days it would have taken for the extra year considering he played in like 4 games in that span.

Yep.  Some very shortsighted decision making by the Sox in 21.  

• Like 1