The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think it's notable that the Braves won the world series last year.

OIBDA of the Braves since 2017

2017 ($39M)
2018 +$84M
2019 +$39M
2020 ($53M)
2021 +$104M

So the Braves, at least a top quarter franchise in the game, has a trailing 5 year profit of $27M.  To use @Harry Chappas example of a $2B franchise, thats a 1.35% average return.  Not that great.

Don't get me wrong, I am not really advocating for billionaire owners to make more $.  I just want baseball.  But if the Braves are only raking in a 1.35% average annual return, what does that mean for the low level franchises?   

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

So the Braves, at least a top quarter franchise in the game, has a trailing 5 year profit of $27M.  To use @Harry Chappas example of a $2B franchise, thats a 1.35% average return.  Not that great.

Don't get me wrong, I am not really advocating for billionaire owners to make more $.  I just want baseball.  But if the Braves are only raking in a 1.35% average annual return, what does that mean for the low level franchises?   

2020 is an obvious outlier, as well as 2021 being impacted by sub-optimal crowds.

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

2020 is an obvious outlier, as well as 2021 being impacted by sub-optimal crowds.

Still though. And the Braves kept payrolls really low. And obviously we'd expect some portion of income that needs to be re-invested each year. 

Obviously the new revenue streams should net the players more and this Lux tax cap thing is way too stupid, but I have a hard time believing that shareholders are sucking out loads of cash each year. A bunch of that $100M from the braves is gonna go to salaries for 2022, hopefully freddie freeman.

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Also I was thinking about a team like the Phillies. They have a great market, but have kept much higher salaries. Do we think they are doing more operating income than the braves? I doubt it. 

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Still though. And the Braves kept payrolls really low. And obviously we'd expect some portion of income that needs to be re-invested each year. 

Obviously the new revenue streams should net the players more and this Lux tax cap thing is way too stupid, but I have a hard time believing that shareholders are sucking out loads of cash each year. A bunch of that $100M from the braves is gonna go to salaries for 2022, hopefully freddie freeman.

That $100m is already gone in a corporate structure like LMG. 

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

2017 losing money is bizarre as that was the year Truist Park opened (then SunTrust Field). Their attendance that year jumped by half a million tickets sold compared to 2016. Was there some version of one-year expenses they had to pay that year?

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That $100m is already gone in a corporate structure like LMG. 

It likes such a bizarre fit to have a public company own a team.

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

2017 losing money is bizarre as that was the year Truist Park opened (then SunTrust Field). Their attendance that year jumped by half a million tickets sold compared to 2016. Was there some version of one-year expenses they had to pay that year?

was probably building this https://batteryatl.com/

Do we know the scope of what the Braves define as "Baseball?"

From my understanding, professional sports books are incredibly inconsistently reported as far as which parts of the overall operations of the franchise are reported as "baseball" (or other sport) vs. some other business.

This is the trick that Bill Wirtz played on everyone for years that the Blackhawks were "losing money."

To my knowledge there is no standardized accounting method for sports team owners / operators... thus it is incredibly difficult to believe much of anything other than franchise valuations.

• Like 2

Just now, JoeC said:

From my understanding, professional sports books are incredibly inconsistently reported as far as which parts of the overall operations of the franchise are reported as "baseball" (or other sport) vs. some other business.

This is the trick that Bill Wirtz played on everyone for years that the Blackhawks were "losing money."

To my knowledge there is no standardized accounting method for sports team owners / operators... thus it is incredibly difficult to believe much of anything other than franchise valuations.

This has always been the hang up.  Take JR and parking for example.  A separate "company" owns the lots.  So is that baseball revenue? 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I think it's notable that the Braves won the world series last year.

OIBDA of the Braves since 2017

2017 ($39M)
2018 +$84M
2019 +$39M
2020 ($53M)
2021 +$104M

Great post and we all that know deep playoff runs are super lucrative.  And while I think the owners are totally full of shit in terms of the profitability of owning teams in general, this is not the “gotcha” moment Passan thanks it is IMO.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Great post and we all that know deep playoff runs are super lucrative.  And while I think the owners are totally full of shit in terms of the profitability of owning teams in general, this is not the “gotcha” moment Passan thanks it is IMO.

My first thought when I saw Liberty media's run down is that George McCaskey is probably watching. They opened up several multi-million dollar/yr revenue streams with their stadium...in the burbs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Good Luck with attaining whichever of those is your goal.  I would have been happy to play baseball for a living for damn near any amount of pay the owner wanted to give me.  That is why Jose is the popular player he is.  He wants to play for the WS whatever the cost might be in dollars.

This is a lie and you know it.  Damn near any amount?  Seriously?  Ok, make a living playing baseball for a dollar a day, work tirelessly at your craft at your own expense, and also work all of the side hustles required to keep a roof over your head and food on the table.  Would you still sing the owners praises over such an "apprenticeship"?  You sir, are full of shit.

• Like 3
  • Fire 2

33 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I am not an accountant but I would imagine its the same sort of tricks large corporations use to pay CEOs massive bonuses while also claiming to have lost millions.

9 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

This is a lie and you know it.  Damn near any amount?  Seriously?  Ok, make a living playing baseball for a dollar a day, work tirelessly at your craft at your own expense, and also work all of the side hustles required to keep a roof over your head and food on the table.  Would you still sing the owners praises over such an "apprenticeship"?  You sir, are full of shit.

Since he didn't respond to me, I'm assuming he'd play for the $18-24K that Gil Luna might make.

I refuse to get too concerned over a fight between millionaires and billionaires, but it’s very clear if the MLB wasn’t basically a monopoly the players would get paid more.  There isn’t really much of a debate that the owners were getting more than their fair share of the pie under the previous CBA and aren’t negotiating in good faith.  And it’s that latter point that bothers me, because it doesn’t seem like the players are asking for all that much and yet the owners are willing to fuck over their customer base to claim a couple ten million more dollars here or there.  Hopefully the owners will cave a bit last second, because we should all be enraged if they cost us baseball games because they refuse to concede any ground to the players.