Padres hire Bob Melvin as new Manager

RibbieRubarb

6 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Interesting. I wonder what the resident Padres fan thinks.

They had to get an experienced, battle-tested manager, and Melvin was the natural choice when Bochy didn't bite.  Francona, the other guy I would have taken a run at.

"As for what the Padres are getting here: Melvin led the A’s to three AL West titles (2012, 2013, 2020) and a 853-764 (.528) record during his tenure in Oakland. Only the Dodgers made the postseason more times than the A’s did between 2012 and 2020."

https://www.sfgate.com/athletics/article/oakland-athletics-compensation-bob-melvin-padres-16575377.php

Edited by caulfield12

Melvin definitely a major upgrade. If he is allowed to do his job without interference, the Padres can bounce back next season.

Feel bad for A’s fans, hope the few fans they have left decline their season tickets invoices. They deserve under 1,000 fans per game if they mega-tank.

19 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Melvin definitely a major upgrade. If he is allowed to do his job without interference, the Padres can bounce back next season.

Feel bad for A’s fans, hope the few fans they have left decline their season tickets invoices. They deserve under 1,000 fans per game if they mega-tank.

A bet that there will be no minimum payroll next year is an interesting one.

23 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

That said, what can they do with their stadium/SF Giants territorial issue...strip the team down to the floorboards and maximize profits (harder to do with a salary floor) or simply sell off to the highest bidder.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

That said, what can they do with their stadium/SF Giants territorial issue...strip the team down to the floorboards and maximize profits (harder to do with a salary floor) or simply sell off to the highest bidder.

They should build their own stadium, either in San Jose or Salt Lake City, or should be contracted with 1-3 other teams. The sport doesn’t need yet another perma 90-100 loss team to further erode interest in the sport.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

24 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They should build their own stadium, either in San Jose or Salt Lake City, or should be contracted with 1-3 other teams. The sport doesn’t need yet another perma 90-100 loss team to further erode interest in the sport.

The Giants are still blocking the San Jose option...Salt Lake City is only ideal for Rockies matchups, but the location is far from ideal for the rest of baseball.  Contracting seems to be out of the cards for at least another decade.

“His leadership style stands out,” said Padres general manager A.J. Preller. “He has honest and tough conversations and looks forward to them, while still motivating his players to go out and play for him.”

Perhaps the biggest reason Melvin has struck those balances is his ability to adapt. He admits that he was, at first, hesitant to embrace new-school concepts.

"The game has changed a lot, especially from when I first started," Melvin said. "I learned a lot about analytics in Oakland. It was a little painful at times early on, based on the fact that I grew up looking at the game a little bit differently.

"But I think it's made me better. It's opened my eyes. Any information that you get, whether it's information that comes from your experiences and/or information that comes from data, you can marry that. That's what I learned in Oakland -- there's a different way to look at the game."

https://www.mlb.com/news/bob-melvin-s-perspective-on-padres-season