2022 Soccer Thread

17 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Wtf were the refs seeing in that var. awful. 

That ref was one of the worst I've seen in a game. Adams getting a yellow for being stepped on. The advantage call after whistling the play dead and showing the yellow card. Whistling the play dead when the US had advantage after a hand ball. This whole tournament felt janky as f***, especially when you compare it to the Euros. Yes, they have bad refs too, but it's more in a subjective sense as opposed to screwing up objective rules. Also their offside calls are all semi-automated and you don't have people drawing subjective lines. 

All that aside, the US can only blame themselves for not making it out of a pretty easy group. Weah may have been a huge factor in that, but Berhalter sure as hell didn't help. That clown decided to let his players know that Bolivia had tied Panama and they give up the go-ahead goal seconds after that. It's so unserious, unprofessional, and shows the type of mentality Berhalter and the USMNT play with. It's like they only care about getting by with the bare minimum. This tournament was a huge wake up call for this team to get its s%*# together before the World Cup in 2026. Because you cannot get grouped while hosting a World Cup. 

4 hours ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

It would force both the US and Mexico,  along with the rest of CONCACAF, to improve but we'd probably never see another World Cup berth ? 

I know I said that earlier, but the CONMEBOL refs and their ineptitude with the s%*# camera yesterday and the VAR reviews that take 10 minutes make me think otherwise. Mexico and the US need to play better competition regularly. Playing each other and claiming they're the best in a s%*# confederation means nothing. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Ditch Behralter. 3 shots through 85 minutes - bad call or not this team should be better than that and outcomes at this level matter. 

There's so many good managers available. The USSF just needs to pay up. Berhalter was coaching 2nd division teams in Sweden before getting an MLS job. The guy is out of his depth at the international level. 

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

That ref was one of the worst I've seen in a game. Adams getting a yellow for being stepped on. The advantage call after whistling the play dead and showing the yellow card. Whistling the play dead when the US had advantage after a hand ball. This whole tournament felt janky as f***, especially when you compare it to the Euros. Yes, they have bad refs too, but it's more in a subjective sense as opposed to screwing up objective rules. Also their offside calls are all semi-automated and you don't have people drawing subjective lines. 

All that aside, the US can only blame themselves for not making it out of a pretty easy group. Weah may have been a huge factor in that, but Berhalter sure as hell didn't help. That clown decided to let his players know that Bolivia had tied Panama and they give up the go-ahead goal seconds after that. It's so unserious, unprofessional, and shows the type of mentality Berhalter and the USMNT play with. It's like they only care about getting by with the bare minimum. This tournament was a huge wake up call for this team to get its s%*# together before the World Cup in 2026. Because you cannot get grouped while hosting a World Cup. 

Its really clear to me - they still run a system that tries to basically play to a draw with a hope of squeaking out a win. In the history of the US - when you didn't have high end talent, that strategy wasn't horrible cause playing a wide open game is going to result in you getting destroyed.  

But these aren't those teams.  Now the players absolutely deserve blame - but these players are far more skilled than past cycles and Behralter system is not a fit with this talent level. It is doing same thing - its making things closer on there end when now they can and should outclass more teams (not the top 15 teams in the world - but outside of that - they should outclass everyone else - the talent and skills are absolutely there).  

I hope the redcard doesn't become an excuse, because with 2 years between now and the World Cup - this is the exact right time to pull a soft reset from a coaching perspective and there is plenty of time to get it corrected.  Use this as a real wake up call (since the last world cup wasn't good enough).  

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

I know I said that earlier, but the CONMEBOL refs and their ineptitude with the s%*# camera yesterday and the VAR reviews that take 10 minutes make me think otherwise. Mexico and the US need to play better competition regularly. Playing each other and claiming they're the best in a s%*# confederation means nothing. 

I agree with this. They are both left home and I think not playing good talent doesn't help in the long run.  And with the expanded world cup qualifiers, there is no reason not to combine the 2 areas. I also don't get how a tourney in the US can have such poor quality replay systems.  Even with that - there is zero scenario where that call should be upheld - but none of that matters.  They had such few quality chances and basically were playing for a tie when reality is they have the skill to go up against a good team (and in fairness Uraguay is a solid team) and try to show who they were (shoot what was the downside in that - if they lost an exciting 4-3 open affair - I don't think any of us would be near as mad).  

29 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I agree with this. They are both left home and I think not playing good talent doesn't help in the long run.  And with the expanded world cup qualifiers, there is no reason not to combine the 2 areas. I also don't get how a tourney in the US can have such poor quality replay systems.  Even with that - there is zero scenario where that call should be upheld - but none of that matters.  They had such few quality chances and basically were playing for a tie when reality is they have the skill to go up against a good team (and in fairness Uraguay is a solid team) and try to show who they were (shoot what was the downside in that - if they lost an exciting 4-3 open affair - I don't think any of us would be near as mad).  

It's because CONMEBOL controlled everything this time around. I thought the 2016 Copa was fairly well run, but I think CONCACAF and USSF had more of a say in that tournament.

32 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Its really clear to me - they still run a system that tries to basically play to a draw with a hope of squeaking out a win. In the history of the US - when you didn't have high end talent, that strategy wasn't horrible cause playing a wide open game is going to result in you getting destroyed.  

But these aren't those teams.  Now the players absolutely deserve blame - but these players are far more skilled than past cycles and Behralter system is not a fit with this talent level. It is doing same thing - its making things closer on there end when now they can and should outclass more teams (not the top 15 teams in the world - but outside of that - they should outclass everyone else - the talent and skills are absolutely there).  

I hope the redcard doesn't become an excuse, because with 2 years between now and the World Cup - this is the exact right time to pull a soft reset from a coaching perspective and there is plenty of time to get it corrected.  Use this as a real wake up call (since the last world cup wasn't good enough).  

Yeah this is your opportunity to do a reset. Get a good experienced coach who has achieved success at the international level. If Jurgen Klopp is actually interested in the job and that's a big if, you gotta pay him. 2 years is a long time in the world of soccer. Hell half the guys who started yesterday might not be starters on the World Cup team in 2 years.

• 2 weeks later...