Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

39 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Kris Bryant has not signed

Michael Conforto has not signed

Nick C has not signed

I'm going to hold out hope for a big bat in RF.  I might be in the minority but I like Josh Harrison. Guys like him are pests and you need a few of those come playoff time and during the season. This team, at times, last year was a bit laid back (outside of TA)......Harrison may help with that.

I agree.  I like the signing.  He is the type of guy that can pester other teams and give your team an advantage.

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Probably cost them a WS.

Heck this is actually kinda fun. Here’s 4 playoff teams.

Like when the Dodgers lost Bauer?

Like when the Rays lost Glasnow?

Like when the Braves lost Anderson for 2 months and Soroka for the year and Morton in the playoffs?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

So picking up Donaldson to play 3B and IKF to play SS, LeMahieu should be back at 2B. Do they send Gleyber somewhere now?

Currently LeMahieu would be slotted at 1B and Gleybar at 2B. They had DJ play 1B quite a bit and seem comfortable with him there.

So level setting on what someone like Sean Manaea might cost.  Sonny Gray with two years of team control just went for a late 2021 1st round pick.  Chris Bassitt with only one year of control went for a 2020 overslot 2nd round pick and an older, late bloomer arm.  What’s fascinating is I’d probably argue that the A’s got the superior package, although Petty offers far more upside than Ginn.  Regardless, neither headliner was a top 100 type yet, but has the ceiling to become one with time.

The challenge is the Sox don’t have a ton of guys with that type of pedigree.  Jared Kelly would be the closest as his $3M bonus was actually larger than both Ginn & Petty’s and he was a higher regarded prospect by most publications heading into each of their respective drafts.  The problem for him was a disastrous 2021 season that was both short on health and results.  Could he headline a trade for Manaea?  Maybe if the A’s were high on him pre-draft, but you’d potentially be selling him for $0.50 on the dollar.

Besides Kelly, maybe you could make a argument for Matthew Thompson plus a decent secondary piece, but he like Kelly posted poor results in 2021 and his value has taken a hit, even if his athleticism & projectability remain there.  I think Vera could easily headline a Manaea trade, but the Sox aren’t moving him now when he a chance to be a top 50 prospect in a year or two.  Dalquist & Burke, our next two best pitching prospects, aren’t going to be enough to headline this type of trade.

Honestly, that leaves positional guys and out of all of them I really think Burger makes the most sense.  The A’s are likely to lose both Olson & Chapman in the near future and will need to help to replace the power they provide.  Zack Gelof will certainly be in the mix, but having another guy that can fill in at 3B, 1B, & DH makes a ton of sense.  To me, Sheets flashed enough last season to be worth more than one year of Manaea, especially with the NL getting the DH now.  And Colas is in a similar boat to Vera where it’s difficult to move him now when his value is likely to jump after a year statewide.  Burger plus an arm like Jason Bilous seems like a reasonable package for both sides.

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Heck this is actually kinda fun. Here’s 4 playoff teams.

Like when the Dodgers lost Bauer?

Like when the Rays lost Glasnow?

Like when the Braves lost Anderson for 2 months and Soroka for the year and Morton in the playoffs?

Except for Atlanta, yes.  If Bauer was around, LA probably wins. If Glasnow pitches, the Rays have a better shot. I don't understand why you think losing major players shouldn't hurt teams if they are built properly. You cannot stash away All Stars in AAA. If McCullers gets hurt a week earlier, the Astros probably don't get past the White Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Currently LeMahieu would be slotted at 1B and Gleybar at 2B. They had DJ play 1B quite a bit and seem comfortable with him there.

They have Voit there too. I just feel like they will add a left-handed bat to play 1B. Seems like a good opportunity for a team like Milwaukee to try to grab both? Lots of pitching but lots of uncertainty in the lineup.

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

They have Voit there too. I just feel like they will add a left-handed bat to play 1B. Seems like a good opportunity for a team like Milwaukee to try to grab both? Lots of pitching but lots of uncertainty in the lineup.

True, and it does sound like they aren't done going after Olson and Rizzo. They have options that could make Gleybar become available, but I think they'll still be in a position to keep him unless they really like the offer.

I imagine this week could be pretty busy.  Still some big FA names out there (Bryant, Castellanos, Conforto, Freeman, Story, Rizzo, Correa, etc.).  Interested teams would like to have their guys in camp sooner rather than later I'm sure.

Still hope the Sox add that one impact bat.  It's odd, I think, that we haven't heard much about Castellanos or Conforto since the lockout was lifted.  Those are the two big bats I could see the Sox most likely being interested in.  Maybe we'll find out more this week.

3 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

If the Twins sign one of the big name free agents shortstops, I would honestly keep Kimbrel if they can’t get anything of value for him and just see if they can move him at the deadline. A shutdown bullpen would be useful since it appears that the division is going to get tougher. 

Nah, I need that $16M allocated elsewhere.  Cheaper guys can blow leads just the same.  Sox still need a RF and innings in the starting rotation. 

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Nah, I need that $16M allocated elsewhere.  Cheaper guys can blow leads just the same.  Sox still need a RF and innings in the starting rotation. 

He flat out doesn’t want to be here in this role. Fegan’s article about it basically said neither him or the Sox in public or private thinks it’s a good fit.

Edited by fathom
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The question was “what are the Twins doing they obviously can’t win the division”. That can be totally true and at the same time the Twins can still have reason to add players because of those wild card spots.

Again, a Wild Card birth, especially with expanded playoffs, does not equal the Twins challenging for the division title.  The Sox supposedly dumpster diving doesn’t suddenly make the division up for grabs when Cleve & Minny are both a mess.  I know you love to argue minute points but let’s be real here. 

13 minutes ago, Baron said:

Forget about the team options. Let one of our best players and the heart of this team hit the market a couple years early. 

2 minutes ago, quickman said:

Is Anderson up after this year?  

1 minute ago, Quin said:

He has two team options: $12.5M in 2023 and $14M in 2024.

I too had to Google it because it didn't seem right lol