Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I’m beginning to believe that the Sox are going to sign either Pederson or Rosario. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

I am beginning to think they wont sign anyone for the outfield and go with Engel and SHeets platoon. just really so Soxish.

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I’m beginning to believe that the Sox are going to sign either Pederson or Rosario. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

So let's see, assuming extra pitcher, the bench as of now is:

Leury/Harrison
Engel
Romy
Collins

With someone else making the team out of the gate due to Anderson's suspension (Burger?).

If an extra OF is signed, the bench becomes:
Leury/Harrison
Engel
Collins
Vaughn/Pederson

With Romy or an extra pitcher making the roster out of ST.

I guess that's decent depth having Romy in the minors. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Like you said yesterday, none of the big bats have signed yet. However, skepticism they will sign one is completely fair based on history haha

Seemingly the Braves thinking "They cannot or don't want to afford FA prices" is probably telling us something.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Seemingly the Braves thinking "They cannot or don't want to afford FA prices" is probably telling us something.

I can't speak for other people, but I'd be significantly less fixated on the Sox adding one of Conforto, Bryant, or Suzuki in free agency if they had the farm system depth to go out and trade for 5 WAR players in their prime like the Braves just did.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

The freak out factor is high today. Mercy!

The Sox have committed $26.5M to their already record-high payroll without addressing any of their roster needs. They’re connected to no significant players in the media. They have the worst farm system in baseball from which to make trades. 

It would be irrational to be happy with their offseason at this point. If they pull off a substantial addition given their current situation, it will rightfully be shocking. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm not sure why this is controversial.  You are basically exchanging 28 year old Olson for 32 year old Freeman.  Each with a .900ish OPS last year.  One is much cheaper.  This is the kind of cold bloodedness that I hope the White Sox display.  If Abreu has another good year this year and then wants a 5 year $100 million contract...I HOPE they don't get sentimental and offer it to him.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

The cash he's wasted since November gets him pretty close by itself.  Too bad its tied up in a bunch of Meh.

Look, I get there is a need to fill bench slots, and the middle of the pen for sure.  I don't think we want this season coming down to guys like Danny Mendick and Ryan Burr after a single bad outcome.  But a chance like this doesn't come along very often.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

The Sox have committed $26.5M to their already record-high payroll without addressing any of their roster needs. They’re connected to no significant players in the media. They have the worst farm system in baseball from which to make trades. 

It would be irrational to be happy with their offseason at this point. If they pull off a substantial addition given their current situation, it will rightfully be shocking. 

The organization philosophy is hand out a bunch of smaller contracts to a bunch of mediocre players and hope they don’t under perform rather than big contract to a true difference maker. There is a reason why our biggest contract is still $73M.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I'm not sure why this is controversial.  You are basically exchanging 28 year old Olson for 32 year old Freeman.  Each with a .900ish OPS last year.  One is much cheaper.  This is the kind of cold bloodedness that I hope the White Sox display.  If Abreu has another good year this year and then wants a 5 year $100 million contract...I HOPE they don't get sentimental and offer it to him.  

If it was an even swap?  Sure.  But they gave up a Chris Sale's worth of prospects to get him, when they just could have paid Freeman.

8 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I can't speak for other people, but I'd be significantly less fixated on the Sox adding one of Conforto, Bryant, or Suzuki in free agency if they had the farm system depth to go out and trade for 5 WAR players in their prime like the Braves just did.

Wait until next year...I have argued before if you don't look at farm system rankings but rankings of a teams young players 23-26 and very young players 22-18 the White Sox would be near the top in both.  The problem for the Sox farm system is all of the high end talent is either in the majors or newly arrived.  If you can't get excited about Vega, Montgomery, Colas, Kath, Cespedes and all the high school arms...give it a year.  

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Nothing to believe the Sox have interest in Bryant

My guess is that they will push the Oscar Colas as our RF of the future story and we will go short term with a guy trying to reestablish himself or go with a third rate RF candidate who will fit their "budget".