Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Which is weird because the Kimbrel move was going for the jugular.  Seems odd to make that move if things weren’t coming in the offseason.

It’s the reason I liked the Kimbrel move at the time. It didn’t work, but I agreed with the thought process. 

I don’t agree with this process, at least at this point. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tony said:

It’s the reason I liked the Kimbrel move at the time. It didn’t work, but I agreed with the thought process. 

I don’t agree with this process, at least at this point. 

I liked it also, but I didn't scroll down to any of his stats beyond the first line. That was my mistake. 

As soon as the lockout ended I has 2 thoughts as to our big signing 

1. I wanted the Sox to sign Schwarber as he puts us in an even better win now position (although I knew it wasn't really realistic).

2. More realistically I wanted the Sox to sign Joc Pederson as its a cheaper win now move that provides a stop gap to Colas.  I am still hoping for this. 

6 minutes ago, Whisox05 said:

Guessing sheets has to be dh otherwise if you ran him in rf then Vaughn could dh

Yeah it definitely makes it sound like it's one or the other for DH and a RF is definitely added. I'm on board with the reasoning he provided, as long as we add in RF as well.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

16 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Stanton played 26 games in the outfield last year. He's closing in on becoming a full-time DH at some point in the near future.

I think he got pushed into the OF because they had Rizzo and Voit getting 1B/DH at bats after July. He's definitely no lock to play OF that much next year.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

For the playoffs?  Elite relievers are amongst the most expensive additions evident by the price we paid for Kimbrel.

The problem is you have to have the lead order tied for them to have value. One thing that makes baseball so great though is you could be thoroughly outplayed like the Sox were that series and still have a chance. They were just Giolito having his command from at least forcing a game 5. And Houston has a lot if problems with Lucas.

34 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Hahn's gonna get that extra year of control back then, huh?

although just for developmental reasons, getting an extended stretch of every day AB's in AAA wouldn't be the worst thing for Vaughn anyways

To be honest, it makes total sense to me give Sheets a shot at DH to start the season and let Vaughn get a couple of months at AAA and get that year of control back.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be honest, it makes total sense to me give Sheets a shot at DH to start the season and let Vaughn get a couple of months at AAA and get that year of control back.

I'd be floored if they did it.  Very un White Sox.  But it does make some sense, I guess.  I am all for getting a year of control back.  Still need to sign an OF if that is the plan tho.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Kiss any chance of keeping Vaughn past his initial contract goodbye if they do that. He would probably be pissed if he started at AAA.

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Kiss any chance of keeping Vaughn past his initial contract goodbye if they do that. He would probably be pissed if he started at AAA.

Wasn't there rumored to have been a deal with him before he even made the team last year and something happened last minute?

Just now, Saufley said:

if it's a choice between Pederson or a platoon of Vaughn/Sheets give me the Vaughn/Sheets platoon.

Where is this Pederson talk coming from today? Did we get linked to him, or just people assuming the worst?  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Where is this Pederson talk coming from today? Did we get linked to him, or just people assuming the worst?  

As a Sox fan I always assume the worst when waiting for the Sox FO to make a move.

55 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Stanton played 26 games in the outfield last year. He's closing in on becoming a full-time DH at some point in the near future.

Supposedly because they were unwilling to add Nick Castellanos…the rumor about why Jeter ditched the Marlins.

Edited by caulfield12

46 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

That's the vibe I got reading that.

His tone in the clip didn't give me any impression that they intended to send him back down.  It was much more that despite those circumstances he proved he belonged in the bigs.