Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Only guy that isn't is maybe Cowley and he's a POS so I don't trust any of what he says. I wish Chicago had more non mouthpiece types that aren't Joe. Fegan is great but he's a mouthpiece for the most part.

He's not on the daily beat.  He hasn't been in a locker room forever.

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

If I were Scott Merkin, I'd be pissed that the club isn't sticking to its side of the bargain. The way this transactional relationship is supposed to work is that he makes excuses for them, butters them up, sucks them off and finds creative ways to twist himself into a pretzel in order to justify all their moves and in exchange for him constantly putting lipstick on a pig he is supposed to get some scoops, but I don't see Merkin getting that many scoops. 

Merkin's job is not scoops. It's literally PR. Merkin should quite literally be viewed as the guy saying "no Russian forces have invaded Ukraine" or whatever their PR guy is saying. It's not bad work, it's required - someone has to type up and release the official statements from the organization and make sure statements are handled properly. 

What if they just bought out Kimbrel? Does some of that get written off?

No, if they buy him out, every cent of his contract counts towards the White Sox's luxury tax. The only way to create tax space is to trade him to another team and have the other team paying that money. 

If, for example, the White Sox traded him and picked up $4 million, with the other team picking up $12, that $4 million would count against the White Sox's CBT level. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

No, if they buy him out, every cent of his contract counts towards the White Sox's luxury tax. The only way to create tax space is to trade him to another team and have the other team paying that money. 

If, for example, the White Sox traded him and picked up $4 million, with the other team picking up $12, that $4 million would count against the White Sox's CBT level. 

damn i feel like that would have been something that both the players and owners would have changed, NBA style where you can buyout someone and take less of a cap hit.

I don't get all of the disdain for Harrison. I think it was a pretty solid signing, especially at the cost. Seems a ton of folks are caught up in the L/R part of things. Now, if we end up with no more moves, then sure....

1 minute ago, Capn12 said:

I don't get all of the disdain for Harrison. I think it was a pretty solid signing, especially at the cost. Seems a ton of folks are caught up in the L/R part of things. Now, if we end up with no more moves, then sure....

He doesn’t make the team any better. That’s the problem. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets DFAed at some point like Eaton did. It’s just a waste of money.

• Like 1

damn i feel like that would have been something that both the players and owners would have changed, NBA style where you can buyout someone and take less of a cap hit.

The owners would not go for that. They tried to make "$100k annually for meals for the team" count against the luxury tax. They're not going to allow anything where you can get paid money without it counting, other than the draft. 

The players also are very insistent that contracts are guaranteed. Once you sign a contract, someone is paying that money - there is no negotiating them downwards for a buyout. 

3 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

I don't mind him as an addition, but people can now see the writing on the wall that this team is coming together without any major additions anywhere, right when they're at their peak. 

46 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Just once I'd like to see the Sox SET the market instead of reacting to it. Who fucking cares if you overpay a guy by 10 million over the course of a few years? Just get it done, get the guys in camp and let's roll.

They set the market on Grandal, Wheeler and Hendriks. Boras is a different beast though. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Sure as a vet utility guy off the bench but he is probably going to be starting a majority of the games

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

He doesn’t make the team any better. That’s the problem. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets DFAed at some point like Eaton did. It’s just a waste of money.

Not an improvement over Leury everyday/losing our utility guy? If Hernandez had shown any semblance of being a MLB player, while in Chicago, then yes, I'd agree.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't mind him as an addition, but people can now see the writing on the wall that this team is coming together without any major additions anywhere, right when they're at their peak. 

I didn’t get the vibe from Hahn today that they’re done.  

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They set the market on Grandal, Wheeler and Hendriks. Boras is a different beast though. 

In the case of Grandal, setting the market probably avoided us spending that money on someone like Moustakas. IIRC, the Reds were after Grandal too and pivoted to Moustakas after we signed Grandal. 

31 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You can't be serious:

Rick Hahn more or less said White Sox are done adding to 2B mix with Harrison. Mentioned Jake Burger among their 2B depth. Acknowledged that you can essentially never rule out Andrew Vaughn playing anywhere. LF and 3B sound like other spots for Harrison to see time

Honestly, they just might wreck vaughn he needs a home to concentrate on so he can get a feel for the game. Making him into laury is not the best for the young guy with a huge bat. First base and maybe left field thats it. Get real players who play real positions. 

Just now, fathom said:

I didn’t get the vibe from Hahn today that they’re done.  

But you must judge the team on what they have today. Not what they have when the season begins or when the playoffs begin.

9 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

A lot of signing Harrison is clouded by what the Sox haven't done yet.

• Like 3