Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

3 minutes ago, Sarava said:

At this point I would be shocked if they signed Schwarber or Conforto.

I think it's just a  gut feeling we all have. In the end, isn't Grandal's contract the biggest Sox contract still? They seem hesitant to give any single player a huge deal. Which basically locks them out of the top of the market for pretty much everything except relief pitchers.

As others have said, they are the spending the money. Just not on the glaring team needs.

I’m going to repeat this again, but when Hahn was asked if there was an agent / player he called as soon as the lockout ended he very purposely said “yes” with a massive smirk on his face.  He also said adding pitching depth would be a priority, so not surprising to see the Kelly & Velasquez additions made shortly thereafter.  So unless we think the agent he was alluding to was Josh Harrison’s, the reality is he’s likely still having conversations with that aforementioned target.  And personally, I’m very confident that the agent Hahn was referencing was Scott Boras whether there is anything connecting us to him or not.

Also, just a reminder that Conforto has draft pick compensation tied to him.  That’s going to scare off some teams, especially when he’s also coming off a down year.  I just don’t see this massive market for him just yet.  We’ve seen names like the Marlins, Rockies, & Diamondbacks listed as teams of possible interest.  That’s never a good sign for your market when Boras has to scrape to those levels.  In all honesty, I’m far more worried Hahn Machado’s himself again and allows another team not currently in the mix to jump in last second because he wasn’t aggressive enough from the get go.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You want it all in one spot? Sure.

The 2019 additions:
Yonder Alonso
Jon Jay
Kelvin Herrera 
Wellington Castillo
Hector Santiago
James McCann (great)
Alex Colome (expensive in both money and talent, but not bad)

2020 offseason:

Grandal
Keuchel
Encarnacion
Cishek
Gio Gonzalez
Ivan Nova (very minor)
Nomar Mazara (traded for Steele Walker, former 2nd round pick/OF)

2021 offseason:
Carlos Rodon
Liam Hendriks
Lance Lynn (traded for Dane Dunning)
Adam Eaton
Minor deals: Nick Williams, Brian Goodwin,  Jake Lamb

2021 trade deadline:
Craig Kimbrel
Ryan Tepera
Cesar Hernandez
Going out: Nick Madrigal, Codi Heuer, Connor Pilkington, Bailey Horn (2021 5th round pick).

Despite the completely obvious miss, 2021s offseason is expensive but very strong. But the two questions again - is this acceptable performance overall, and if you feel the 2021 trade deadline was unacceptable - did it start at that deadline or is that just part of a pattern?

Definitely not acceptable overall, but 2021 represented improvement and they should have landed Wheeler in 2020.  One thing worth reiterating is the Sox have made major changes to their pro scouting department in recent years, so it’s possible that we’re just starting to see the fruits of that.  However, I fully get the skepticism given how bad Hahn was in free agency for an extended period of time.  His track record with small scale signings is beyond atrocious, so a quantity oven quality off-season was never going to inspire much confidence if that’s the route we’re going down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Definitely not acceptable overall, but 2021 represented improvement and they should have landed Wheeler in 2020.  One thing worth reiterating is the Sox have made major changes to their pro scouting department in recent years, so it’s possible that we’re just starting to see the fruits of that.  However, I fully get the skepticism given how bad Hahn was in free agency for an extended period of time.  His track record with small scale signings is beyond atrocious, so a quantity oven quality off-season was never going to inspire much confidence if that’s the route we’re going down.

So for all the talk of improving the pro scouting, they still wound up with the 2021 trade deadline, and then followed it up this offseason with another batch of small scale signings where they’ve been “beyond atrocious”. You’ve just answered why people are getting more foul with every passing day - especially when the signing many think they should do is sitting there, with them not being aggressive about getting it done.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m going to repeat this again, but when Hahn was asked if there was an agent / player he called as soon as the lockout ended he very purposely said “yes” with a massive smirk on his face.  He also said adding pitching depth would be a priority, so not surprising to see the Kelly & Velasquez additions made shortly thereafter.  So unless we think the agent he was alluding to was Josh Harrison’s, the reality is he’s likely still having conversations with that aforementioned target.  And personally, I’m very confident that the agent Hahn was referencing was Scott Boras whether there is anything connecting us to him or not.

Also, just a reminder that Conforto has draft pick compensation tied to him.  That’s going to scare off some teams, especially when he’s also coming off a down year.  I just don’t see this massive market for him just yet.  We’ve seen names like the Marlins, Rockies, & Diamondbacks listed as teams of possible interest.  That’s never a good sign for your market when Boras has to scrape to those levels.  In all honesty, I’m far more worried Hahn Machado’s himself again and allows another team not currently in the mix to jump in last second because he wasn’t aggressive enough from the get go.

If Conforto is indeed an RH target ... it will be years rather than money as the hold-up.

Is anyone concerned that the other division teams just aren't making huge improvements. Fans are hoping for more competitive races. It's bad for baseball if the Sox run away with the division. 

Me neither lol

• Like 1

Just now, Texsox said:

Is anyone concerned that the other division teams just aren't making huge improvements. Fans are hoping for more competitive races. It's bad for baseball if the Sox run away with the division. 

Me neither lol

Waiting to see if Correa goes to Detroit first.  Keep in mind, Ilitich Jr. was one of four owners opposed to big spending ways, so that would clearly run directly counter philosophically.  Only course, historically free spending Arte Moreno of the Angels was another.

Yankees just resigned Rizzo, so seemingly out of the Freeman sweepstakes...where do Voit and Andujar land, if anywhere else?

"The Yankees have settled on a first baseman, reportedly agreeing to terms with Anthony Rizzo on a two-year, $32MM guarantee. The deal pays the Sports One Athlete Management client $16MM salaries annually and gives him the opportunity to opt out after the 2022 campaign. The contract is pending a physical."    MLBtrade rumors.com

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Me neither lol

It remains darned interesting how a team with Tim Anderson, Liam Hendriks, and Eloy Jimenez went sleepwalking through the second half of last year and now has a bunch of people saying “these signings will provide the energy and fire this team needs!”

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

So for all the talk of improving the pro scouting, they still wound up with the 2021 trade deadline, and then followed it up this offseason with another batch of small scale signings where they’ve been “beyond atrocious”. You’ve just answered why people are getting more foul with every passing day - especially when the signing many think they should do is sitting there, with them not being aggressive about getting it done.

I really don’t see pro scouting being the reason their deadline was a failure.  I know you felt Kimbrel was a ticking time bomb for whatever reason, but the two best organizations in baseball felt otherwise.  And while it was clear Hernandez’s power numbers were unsustainable, there was zero reason to think he wouldn’t just revert back to the same old guy he had been for the last few years.  The real concern is trading from your major league roster if that’s going to end up being disruptive to your offseason plans.  If the Kimbrel move ends up costing us the ability to address RF (which remains to be seen), then Hahn has failed epically at his job and deserves to be held accountable.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

It remains darned interesting how a team with Tim Anderson, Liam Hendriks, and Eloy Jimenez went sleepwalking through the second half of last year and now has a bunch of people saying “these signings will provide the energy and fire this team needs!”

Well, at least we don't have to worry about Nelson Cruz anymore?

I really don’t see pro scouting being the reason their deadline was a failure.  I know you felt Kimbrel was a ticking time bomb for whatever reason, but the two best organizations in baseball felt otherwise.  And while it was clear Hernandez’s power numbers were unsustainable, there was zero reason to think he wouldn’t just revert back to the same old guy he had been for the last few years.  The real concern is trading from your major league roster if that’s going to end up being disruptive to your offseason plans.  If the Kimbrel move ends up costing us the ability to address RF (which remains to be seen), then Hahn has failed epically at his job and deserves to be held accountable.

What indication do we have they're changing their trade evaluation processes in any way to lead to better results overall?

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Those guys aren’t playing for their next contract though, so it’s easy to sleepwalk when their zombie manager doesn’t interested in pushing hard for HFA.

• Love 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

What indication do we have they're changing their trade evaluation processes in any way to lead to better results overall?

I mean, I think it’s clear they’re targeting better players.  They were after both Wheeler & Burnes before they took massive leaps.  They acquired Lynn & Hendriks last offseason who were both All-Stars.  Hahn may continue to overpay for guys, but at least we’re pursuing better talent than in years past.

2 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Jays offense looks so good right now, that infield is amazing

I love the Blue Jays aren’t content with what they have and continue to make bold moves, whereas there are Sox fans who say we should be happy with the core we have.  The Jays are going to pass us soon if we don’t make a major move.

• Like 2

I love the Blue Jays aren’t content with what they have and continue to make bold moves, whereas there are Sox fans who say we should be happy with the core we have.  The Jays are going to pass us soon if we don’t make a major move.

They're the equivalent of SD on the AL side...Mariners and Rangers have all been super-aggressive.

https://sports.yahoo.com/theres-no-loyalty-in-baseball-explaining-the-braves-shocking-freddie-freeman-move-232631704.html

Really good article on the opportunity cost of the last 2-3 years of a Freeman deal vs. expectations for Olson being four years younger.