Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Visiting players who aren't vaccinated can play in NYC. The Sox don't play in Toronto until May 31. Hopefully, COVID is done with by then and Canada retracts their vaccine requirement to enter the country. Even if they don't, I wouldn't worry about losing a guy for 3 games when you're talking about a 4 year contract. 

While Canada could do whatever they want, there are early but convincing signs of an increase in US case load over the next month, so don’t count on it being gone.

13 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I still covet a LH power bat, however I don't think Conforto, at the price and length of contract that has been discussed here, is the one that Hahn should pursue? He will cost a draft pick, will probably be ineligible to play, when the Sox travel to N.Y. and Toronto, and is said to be seeking a 4, or 5 year deal at $20 million per year. I prefer a shorter term commitment, with the hope that Colas, or someone else can provide better value. If Conforto would sign a shorter contract, I'd be quite satisfied with him in RF.

Ok, I can respect that view.

But, if that was their "strategery," then it would have behooved them to maximize their other acquisitions.

They STILL royally fucked up by picking up the option on Kimbrel and not offering the QO to Rodon. They STILL shit their pants by letting FA SPs go by, and now, trying to go to a gunfight for As SPs with their middling collection of trade assets.

They STILL embarrassed themselves by picking up a 35 year old geezing geezer for 2B. And they STILL screwed up by adding as much payroll as they did to the bullpen.

Had they, for example, re-signed Rodon and found a 2B better than Harrison, we could have squinted and seen a 2nd tier/short contract RFer being a worthy gamble.

But, lamentably, here we are. Just based on "general fucking principle," to show that they're not complete fucking morons, they pretty much HAVE TO sign Conforto, and then pray that he's not broken or in decline already.

Otherwise? The entirety of the baseball world will take them for fools.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How?

Garrett made 2 million. Minor 9 million and it says the Royals sent cash with Minor.

Minor, 34, is headed into the second season of a two-year, $18MM contract originally signed with Kansas City. He’s due $10MM this season, plus a $1MM buyout on a mutual option for the 2023 season. MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand tweets that the Royals are covering that $1MM buyout. Bobby Nightengale of the Cincinnati Enquirer adds that Kansas City is also covering $500K of Minor’s salary. That leaves the Reds on the hook for about $7.3MM in additional salary commitments, when factoring in the projected $2.2MM (via MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz) that would’ve gone to the arbitration-eligible Garrett.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Ok, I can respect that view.

But, if that was their "strategery," then it would have behooved them to maximize their other acquisitions.

They STILL royally fucked up by picking up the option on Kimbrel and not offering the QO to Rodon. They STILL shit their pants by letting FA SPs go by, and now, trying to go to a gunfight for As SPs with their middling collection of trade assets.

They STILL embarrassed themselves by picking up a 35 year old geezing geezer for 2B. And they STILL screwed up by adding as much payroll as they did to the bullpen.

Had they, for example, re-signed Rodon and found a 2B better than Harrison, we could have squinted and seen a 2nd tier/short contract RFer being a worthy gamble.

But, lamentably, here we are. Just based on "general fucking principle," to show that they're not complete fucking morons, they pretty much HAVE TO sign Conforto, and then pray that he's not broken or in decline already.

Otherwise? The entirety of the baseball world will take them for fools.

The entirety of baseball outside of Sox twitter and this site think the Sox are stacked 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I understand the sentiment that Conforto may lose a lot of value in year 4 of a contract, but I don't understand why that should matter to a team trying to win NOW.

So, what are we actually trying to do here? Is it maximize our chances of winning now? Or is it trying to sustain some moderate level of success and relevance for as long as possible? Because it's incredibly hard to do both.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

The entirety of baseball outside of Sox twitter and this site think the Sox are stacked 

Sure.

And the rest of the baseball world forgot that we don't have Rodon, that we have an AARP candidate at 2B, and that as of right now, the 3rd most fWAR in the OF comes from Leury Garcia.

But just like Pepperidge Farm remembers, so too do we. In a few weeks when Velazquez shits his pants and Harrison is DFA'ed, the rest of baseball will remember.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I think we are still the best team in the AL (at this time).. I'd just like us to also allocated resources well and get even better.

If the Astros get Correa back I have at least them and Toronto ahead of the Sox. Possibly Tampa as well. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If the Astros get Correa back I have at least them and Toronto ahead of the Sox. Possibly Tampa as well. 

After a couple of losses during the season you'll have the rest of the AL ahead of them too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Oh right Yea that gets the big thumbs up from me ? (imagine this but very big)

I made the poll  to gauge how much of the board thought we would get someone like Conforto and another starting pitcher because there was a lot of bashing of the people talking negatively about the Sox Front office or the process and that it was coming from a small but loud subset of Soxtalk. The poll showed it was the majority who felt that way. It's idiotic to bash positive people because that's generally a good attitude to have . It's more idiotic to tell the majority of people who feel the same about the off season up to this point, that they are just loud,obnoxious miserable fans. My comments to Ptatc were never about me ,except to say I was part of that majority.