Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

SoxTalk: We need an outfielder!  Just not Joc

Also SoxTalk after Joc signs elsewhere: Why didn’t the Sox sign him!?

Respectfully, I think that's disingenuous. No one wanted him as their top choice. But when Schwarber, Rosario went off and Pal said they are not budging on Conforto, I think most people wanted to make the best of the situation and at least get some kind of halfway decent corner LF bat for a year until we see what happens with Colas. 

Now we can't even do that. Not even a bandaid.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I honestly don't think he's an upgrade of Engel. ZIPS thinks they are about equal per PA FWIW.

Now do all of the other projections on fangraphs. Convenient that you cited Engel's HIGHEST projection, while citing the 2nd-lowest projection on Pederson.

You may not like Pederson, but he's an actual OFer with a career wRC+ of 123 vs RHP. That's a metric fuckton better than watching the galloping mastodons, or the china doll out in RF.

10 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Respectfully, I think that's disingenuous. No one wanted him as their top choice. But when Schwarber, Rosario went off and Pal said they are not budging on Conforto, I think most people wanted to make the best of the situation and at least get some kind of halfway decent corner LF bat for a year until we see what happens with Colas. 

Now we can't even do that. Not even a bandaid.

I'm not sure when Pal became an insider instead of an insult, but I'm not buying it either way.

24 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

That is dirt cheap. 

Like literally Harrisons money. 

I know he has his flaws but for real if you aren't going to make a serious offer for any of the legit LH savages on the market, you should at least have a decent contingency plan.

They've got nothing new against RHP.

Not Miller, not Joc, not Rosario, not even Tony friggin Kemp.

They are up shit creek without a paddle.

Joc Pederson sucks.  How exactly are the Sox up any creek without a paddle?  They have fucking all stars or recent top 25 prospects at 7/9 positions and 4 TOR SPs.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

To be intellectually honest, Pederson is projected for ~1.8 fWAR this season.

IOW, even as a platoon RFer, he's worth $6MM, and probably more. 

We need a solid glove at 2B more badly than we need whatever it is that Pederson brings to the table in RF. I think Harrison will bring good D and be about an average hitter. 

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Pederson opted out of $10 million to stay in Atlanta to sign for $6 million...makes sense.

Joc has been receiving some not great advice from his agent recently it sounds like. ALthough Atlanta may have told him they weren't retaining him.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

48 minutes ago, Lillian said:

My suggestion of trading for a right fielder, on a cheap contract, in his last year before free agency, is looking more appealing, by the minute. These contracts are just nuts. Save the money, maintain longer term flexibility and see what we have in Colas. Some of these contracts might be shopped, in the not too distant future. 

What, exactly, right fielder, is cheap, and in their last year, before, free agency?  Those things, generally, are not consistent, with, one another. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KBX said:

We need a solid glove at 2B more badly than we need whatever it is that Pederson brings to the table in RF. I think Harrison will bring good D and be about an average hitter. 

OK: FANGRAPHS has his defense as being negative according to UZR, and exactly 0 by DRS. He's 34 going on 35.

If they had wanted DEFENSE, then Simmons [who went to the scrubs, has played SS, and is younger than grandpa Josh] was the superior signing.

If they had wanted OFFENSE [relative to what was available], then LHH Miller or SH Villar were the better choices.

If they had wanted a mix of the two, then gambling on Cesar again would have been defensible.

There is no real reason to want Harrison here. He is not better than Leury, and will likely be DFA'ed just like Eaton was DFA'ed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Joc Pederson sucks.  How exactly are the Sox up any creek without a paddle?  They have fucking all stars or recent top 25 prospects at 7/9 positions and 4 TOR SPs.  

They have nothing in RF.

Nothing. 

Nothing.

Nothing 

Nothing (bold for emphasis).

A guy who gets OBP and power from the left side against RHP for the same money we gave a scrub utility IF masquerading as a starting 2B is at least a bandaid. 

But no....instead we have nothing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

How many are actually playing the "right" positions where they are ideally-suited, lol?

Well, that's pretty much Robert, Anderson and Moncada.   The Sox law of veterans regressing means Harrison will look more like Jimmy Rollins than his 2021 version, especially when you consider his 2-3 previous seasons that paved his way out of Pitt, where he was once a fan favorite.

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

They have nothing in RF.

Nothing. 

Nothing.

Nothing 

Nothing (bold for emphasis).

A guy who gets OBP and power from the left side against RHP for the same money we gave a scrub utility IF masquerading as a starting 2B is at least a bandaid. 

But no....instead we have nothing. 

Joc Pederson is a horrible RF. Continue to live under your dark cloud. I’ll wait to see how the rest of the offseason plays out. Even if the Sox stupidly role with Vaughn and Sheets in RF, they’re still easily a top 3 lineup in the AL. So yeah, jump off the ledge if you’d like. I won’t stop ya. I’ll sit back and watch 95+ wins and w 3rd straight playoff performance. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Joc Pederson is a horrible RF. Continue to live under your dark cloud. I’ll wait to see how the rest of the offseason plays out. Even if the Sox stupidly role with Vaughn and Sheets in RF, they’re still easily a top 3 lineup in the AL. So yeah, jump off the ledge if you’d like. I won’t stop ya. I’ll sit back and watch 95+ wins and w 3rd straight playoff performance. 

And you'll watch a third straight first round exit at this rate. 

I'm not jumping off any ledges. I'm just frustrated and bewildered at an inability to address basic needs...even cheaply! 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

OK: FANGRAPHS has his defense as being negative according to UZR, and exactly 0 by DRS. He's 34 going on 35.

If they had wanted DEFENSE, then Simmons [who went to the scrubs, has played SS, and is younger than grandpa Josh] was the superior signing.

If they had wanted OFFENSE [relative to what was available], then LHH Miller or SH Villar were the better choices.

If they had wanted a mix of the two, then gambling on Cesar again would have been defensible.

There is no real reason to want Harrison here. He is not better than Leury, and will likely be DFA'ed just like Eaton was DFA'ed.

What if they wanted a mix of offense/defense and didn’t want to bring back a guy who looked like he didn’t even want to be out there? And instead, they preferred a guy who would show some emotion and provide some energy?

• Like 1

There's nothing we can do about the FO. If Hahn is indeed messing up 21, he's not gonna get fired because we were sufficiently pissed off. We know how this org does things. The offseason is also not over. Lots of activity today, and we should expect that to accelerate as ST games are starting tomorrow.

One thing most aren't accounting for is Correa's looming signing with Balmer. That's key to our offseason: Houston getting worse.

Hahn is playing high stakes hold 'em, and y'all are playing Uno. 

7 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

How it started post-lockout:

I'd like us to go with Rodon or Kikuchi, Suzuki, Tepera, and Miller or Villar.

How its going:

Holy. Fucking. Shit. I hope we get Pederson.

I should update this.

How it started post-lockout:

I'd like us to go with Rodon or Kikuchi to solve SP, Suzuki to solve RF, Tepera to fill up the BP, and Miller or Villar as either a LHH or SH 2B.

How its going:

Holy. Fucking. Shit. This FO is just too fucking stupid.

6 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

I’ve tried staying “rational” and patient, as there were still plenty of players left on the table, but I think we are getting to that point.  Nothing major is happening.  Yay. 

Yep, Jerry likes teasing a World Series team but will never spend the necessary money to get there

Just now, Two-Gun Pete said:

How its going:

Holy. Fucking. Shit. This FO is just too fucking stupid.

its almost like the FO is having their own Impractical Jokers skit. Hahn lost a challenge.

Jerry: Now tell the fans that we signed Leury Garcia for 3 years and 11 million

Kenny: Great, now tell them we signed Harrison for $5 million and a MiLB pitcher for $3 million!!

Jerry: Call it an offseason, boy these fans are idiots!

*both laugh hysterically as Hahn breaks the news to reporters*

• Like 1